Friday, August 18, 2017

Sweet Country Tutorial (so many pics)

Ok, here we go, putting together the small version of the Sweet Country stitcheries into a quilt top.  This same method will work for the large size, but you'll need much more fabric - also, I used non-directional fabrics, you'll need extra if you use a directional print.

You'll need 1/2 yard of the light fabric, and 3/4 yard of the dark.  I got 1/2 yard of the dark, and had this much left over...



The strips are for my binding.  That teeny piece in the middle is what was left.  If you're doing the large size stitcheries, I would get at least a yard of each.  Maybe 1 1/2 yards of the dark.  Pick a pretty one and you'll wish you'd bought ten yards....like me.

First thing to do is trim your blocks.  You're going to measure one inch from each side of the stitched frame, using your large ruler to help line things up.  



The stitched frames are not quite even, but they will line up.  Trim a long side first, then line that up on your mat and trim the other sides.  See how the lines on the ruler make a frame against the stitched lines?  Your block will be 10" x 7".



(For the large size blocks, you'll trim to 12" x 8 1/2".)

Take your yardage of the dark fabric, and fold in half, selvage to selvage, then in half again.



You're going to cut several strips of 2 1/4".  The first 3 or 4 [I used 4 - I like extra so I don't have a seam in any corner] will be for your binding.  The rest will be for sashing the blocks.



I cut a piece slightly larger than what I need, then stitch and trim before pressing.  When I cut exactly the length I need, I always seem to come up a bit short - don't ask me why.  I'm a terrible piecer.

Add the sashing to the top and bottom of each block.  Trim and press.  Then add a strip to each side.




  
Do that for all four blocks, trimming and pressing as you go.

Next you'll add the light fabric sashing.  Fold your light fabric the same way you did for the dark, and cut more 2 1/4" strips.


Lay out your blocks in the order you want them in your quilt.  You're going to add a strip between the top and bottom blocks.  Stitch your strip to the top of the bottom block.


Stitch, trim, and press.


Now you're going to add your top block to that strip.


Do the same for the other two blocks, making sure to keep your blocks going the right way.

Now you're going to add the center sashing.


Stitch it to the first set of blocks.


Trim and press.  Stitch the other blocks to the center sashing strip.


Almost done.  Now you're going to add the border strips, all around, top and bottom first.


Stitch, trim, press, and add the side borders.  They're all 2 1/4".

I like to keep things simple.


And there you have a finished quilt top.

I was going to quilt it and bind it, but horrors! I have no batting.  So I laid out the binding to see what it might look like finished....


I LOVE it.  The two fabrics go together much better than you'd guess from the pictures - I can't get a good picture today to save my life.  

I'll be adding this tutorial to the complete set of Sweet Country designs.  They're available individually as well, if you'd prefer to make just one or two.  The price is the same.  Each pattern has a link to my blog, and the tutorial will be available permanently on my "Tutorials" page at the top of the blog.  I'd love to see your finished version!!

Almost forgot - designs are available in my shop!

Love,
Allie

17 comments:

Yvonne said...

That is going to be so cute! Great fabric choice!

Cathy said...

Ooh I love how it turned out. Hugs

WoolenSails said...

They look beautiful together with the borders, sweet designs.

Debbie

Donna Pheneger said...

Really enjoyed watching this one come together. Especially the embroidered blocks.

Little Quiltsong said...

Love how these are framed and made into this cute wall hanging! Really sets off your lovely blocks!

Lin said...

Great, straight forward tutorial Allie. Looking lovely. xx

Karen Schurr said...

Nice tute, Allie. Love how this looks all together.

desertskyquilts said...

Allie, that's a lovely finish! I don't know why you say you aren't a quilter when it comes out so beautifully. However you get the results works! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!

Wendy B said...

This is perfect Allie-girl! You are so clever and so very blessed!
xox biggest sugary hugs xox

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Great tutorial your blocks look amazing ❤️

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Beautiful! I like that you have a dark border and light sashing instead of just the sashing. It draws the eye out nicely. It's a sweet wall hanging.

I always cut my borders/sashing longer than needed too. I tend to be a cut larger and trim down kinda quilter. There's less heartbreak and frustration that way.

Fiona said...

perfect fabric to finish off the blocks...
Hugz

edith csokmay said...

Absolutely love your finish on this project. Can't wait to get to mine. Congratulations on a beautiful project.

Jocelyn said...

It looks great!

I am said...

Hi Allie this is so cute thankyou for the tutorial my friend xx

Little Penpen said...

Oh goodness! How pretty! I have so much to do already, but you are making me itch to start one of these!

koi seo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...