Friday, April 21, 2017

I Can Do It

Jenny wrote the neatest post - you'll have to go read it.  I've been feeling very melancholy lately, and she reminded me how much exercise will do for you - not just physically, but mentally.  You know, in the last year of moving and taking care of mum, I'd forgotten!

I've developed some bad habits.


Made a chocolate cake last night [no, I didn't eat that much by myself], and spend far too much time doing this - 



especially late at night.  No wonder I feel like a slug, and am depressed!!

Last week, when we moved mum home, we moved my exercise bike into the sewing room.



Where it's gathering dust.  Along with my dumbbells, [little ones], I'm determined to start releasing endorphins and getting in shape.

I'm 5'8, and can carry a bit of extra, but I don't feel good when I do.  I especially carry it in my belly, and that's dangerous for diabetes risk.  Mum has diabetes, I sure don't want it!

For some reason, when we bought this house, I thought for sure I'd lose weight just cleaning it - it's double the size of the old one.  Ahem, that didn't happen.

So if I'm going to sit a lot stitching [and reading], then I need to get more active somehow.  I can't walk very well, or very far, so the bike it is.  I have no idea how much I weigh, nor do I care, it's how my clothes fit that I go by.  And how I feel. I've pulled out my Lucy dvd's, I'll work my way to fitness one episode at a time!

I've made a start on my Postcards From Heaven, trimming them up in preparation for turning them into a wall quilt.  I hope I have enough red fabric.


Ooh I can't wait to see this one on the wall!!!!  I didn't leave much room for error, I'm cutting them 3/8th inch away from the stitched outer line.  That's because I used too small of a piece for the first few - sigh.  OOPS.

Ok, time to go ride like the wind Bullseye [we used to love Toy Story].  Actually, I'll be more like creaking in the wind.....*snort*  See ya soon!

Love,
Allie

16 comments:

Dolores said...

Don't overdo the exercise. Easy does it and just increase a bit at a time. I am a walker and since I am not a chocoholic, I don't have that temptation. Do you garden? Perhaps getting outside and planting a few flowers might help. I'm not a gardener but I do plant the odd flower now and then. Do you use the sun and wind to dry your clothes? Easy exercise there - bending and stretching.

Little Penpen said...

Yes your post hits home for me too! I may have to figure out how to put an exercise bike in my little sewing room. Wonder if you can stitch and ride!?lol I love the postcards you and Jenni designed. I've only completed one, but I do love it!

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Woo hoo!! So chuffed to have my dear friend along 'for the ride'!
Love the green background under the postcards...but love the postcards more. xxx

WoolenSails said...

I know how you feel, I gain it all in the gut, so I have to keep my exercise going or it grows, lol.
I go by my clothes too, if I feel tight or uncomfortable, means I am gaining;)
Can't wait for swimming weather.

Debbie

margaret said...

I am certainly a couch potato but need to do some exercise, even if it is just walking around the block, exercise bike too much for me!! I never eat sweet things drink alcohol etc during lent but have lost very little weight but they say it is harder to lose as you get older so that is my excuse.
Look forward to seeing the postcard wall hanging soon

Yvonne said...

I think we are lucky here in the Netherlands. Everything is close by so we drive our bikes most of the time. But you have a good alternative. 'Riding' your Bike while watching Lucy! Good plan!

puddlingabout said...

I was quite active until I had my shoulder surgery and it seems like my physical activity came to a screeching halt during recovery. When they tell you 9-12 months before you are pain free it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm five months out now and am just now getting back to doing what I consider to be "normal level" activity. I have my mobility back, just not the strength yet. Don't think I'll get back to bench pressing my 160 pounds though, nope, not going to. But I am back to walking and jogging. I have to gain endurance for a marathon I'm running in December. I've always stuck to the half-marathon distance but am stepping up to the full marathon just this once. Mainly because I'll be running the same course as my son, who is doing the 100 mile race that day. Yes, 100 miles! He is officially crazy.

Keep up the activity. Life is so much better healthy!

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Hubby and I were getting up early to ride the bike and use the dread mill at least 3 or 4 times a week, until!!! The dread mill broke. It came to a screeching halt while Russ was walking on it. It's 17 years old, so it's been nursed along for a while now. We need to replace it with something else and get back to it or go walking outside in the wee early morning hours. I am not in a real hurry to get back to it. ;-) But we will!! Every little bit of movement helps. =)

Karen said...

Can I hae a piece of the cake! Looks oh so yummy.

I am said...

Hi Allie yes i need to get back into my walking after hurting my back,excercise sure does make you feel good,your postcards look fantastic.

Shasta Matova said...

What a good idea to put those postcards into a quilt. It is going to be lovely quilt. I've been trying to stop eating the junk food and exercise more. One day at a time.

Lin said...

Good luck with your fitness regime Allie. xx

Margaret Stickland said...

Heaps of luck with the bike, I8 had one just outside the back door and got on nearly every day for about 3 years and then once a month then less and less until we got rid of it. So now your mojo is back go to it, you will feel impressed, yes impress your self.

KaHolly said...

I'm not a snacker, and I appear to be slim, but underneath the layers of clothes? Oh, no! I've been pretty sedentary the last couple of years, too, so I'm with you! Let's get moving! Just remember to start slowly! Good luck! XO

Linda in Calif. said...

You can do it! I'm rooting for you. By the way, my daughter and I just watched Woody riding Bullseye like the wind last night. We both thought that was so cute.

donna said...

I keep saying I am going to exercise. Just can't seem to get to it. Your right I might have more spunk if I would just start.
Love your post cards my dear.
Hope you have a wonderful day.
Hugs
donna

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...