Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Day Late, Dollar Short

Yep, that's how I live anymore.  Always playing catch-up...I used to have a sign hanging in my office, "I'm so far behind, I think I'm first."

Let's see - first, I received a couple of gorgeous Christmas gifties that I haven't blogged about.  First was my darling O'faigh, who blesses me always.  Look at this dear little package she sent...


Aren't those the sweetest buttons?  And that red floss was the exact color I needed, saving me a trip to the fabric store!

And then Debbie from Woolen Sails knocked my socks off - 


Pic is a little off color, thanks to the grey days we have this time of year, but isn't that little kitty adorable?????  And the little balsam pillow smells SO GOOD.  Thank you ladies, you sure know how to raise someone's spirits!!!!

I don't know if I've posted about this or not, but my best friend just got a new house - one of these days I have to get over there and take pics, it's darling, lots of vintage 50's features, including a Martha Washington stovetop and oven...anyway, she had to downsize, and gave me a china cabinet and corner cabinet...


The drawers in the china cabinet hold all my thread, so I was able to get rid of the white plastic 3-drawer bin, yay!  And that, ladies, is my fabric stash - also where I hide my best snacks, *grin*.

I've just realized that the sun is shining in those last two pics, I took them on the 10th of January, and I believe it's been that long since I've seen it.  Wow.

So, since I'm really missing sunshine and color in these grey and brown months, I started remaking my Lemon Tree pattern.  The original lives in Australia, with Jenny.


I was finishing up the applique today, and my machine had a hissy fit, wouldn't stop making bird's nests underneath, and the needle assembly kept freezing.  I'll try again tomorrow.

I've also been stitching on my longest running project...


I'm trying to remember when I started this, it's at least 3 years.  I tried it with crayon, didn't like it, have changed things over the years, I think I've stitched the four balcony windows 3 times.  It's going to look like an apartment building when it's done - with a very special address.  I have some awesome brick fabric to frame the blocks in.  

So I think that's it from me - mum is doing well, she's in cardiac rehab now, they send a bus to pick her up!  She goes 3 days a week, and will until April 7th.  That's a loooooong time to be away from home - her surgery was last October!  I finally got around to catching up on blogs, there were almost 1000 posts in my reader....I will not let that happen again.  Now that mum is doing more for herself, I have a little more time for me, and I want to visit you on a regular basis.  I've missed you.

I'll see you soon - 
Love,
Allie


23 comments:

sunny said...

Your new furniture is gorgeous! You're such an awesome person to help your friend out. Lots of nice stitching happening. We saw the sun today, too, and it was a lovely sight. Hope to see more of it in Florida.....

I am said...

Hi Allie O'Faigh is a sweetie and i look forward to spending time with her on Saturday and to also meet her sister,love the gifts you received.
I am so glad that your sweet mum is doing so well.
Love your new furniture,hope you have a lovely day my friend.

West Michigan Quilter said...

What lovely gifts you received. Aren't quilting friends the best! Love your new furniture too. It would be awesome to have a nice place like that for my fabric and threads and things. Don't you hate it when you get bird nests! Love the things you are working on too. Especially the lemon tree!

WoolenSails said...

The doll buttons are so fun, will be fun to create something for them.
The new furniture is beautiful and great for storage, I love pieces that I can hide more stash in;)

Debbie

margaret said...

so good to read an update on your Mum and that she is doing well.
Loving your furniture and if I coiuld have £1 every time I see the ikea trolley on a blog I would be rich and able to buy one for myself!
Nice Xmas presents too. Good to see yoy are working on the hand stitched project I find it so relaxing to do rather than being in the machine quilting all the time

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Miss you too dear friend. xx
Love your cabinets!!!!!!! And glad you're making Lemon Tree again....our twins can be another special link across the ocean.
Keep stitching, I'm desperate to see your apartments. Hugs to mum! X

Yvonne said...

I love your new cabinets! They are perfect for your stash and other fun quilting stuff! Glad your Mom is doing well and you get some more time for yourself! Love your stitcherie. The expression on the Cats face is priceless!

O'faigh said...

Gorgeous cabinets Allie glad to hear of the update for your Mum and happy you liked my humble gifts

Kate said...

Those are lovely gifts that you received, Allie. I enjoyed reading that things are going well for your mom and yourself.
I chuckled at "a day late and a dollar short" and "I'm so far behind I think I'm first" since these are two expressions that are frequently uttered by us. :)

Águeda said...

"I'm so far behind, I think I'm first."
My dear friend: I have never heard this phrase before. And I liked it so much, and I've laughed so hard, I think I'm going to embroider something with that phrase to hang it in my house.
That phrase describes me perfectly.
I am glad that you have found a moment for yourself. I am also glad that your mother is better and does cardiac rehabilitation. I wish life now returns to its normal rhythm for you.
Your gifts are very beautiful, can be displayed on any day.
And your new furniture is wonderful.
I wish you to enjoy your sewing. Have you looked if the bobbin is upside down? I know that's obvious .... but I do it many times !!! =)))
I am happy it seems that everything is fitting and you are calmer. A big hug for you, and one for your mother.

Little Quiltsong said...

Loved your post and your saying - I had to write it down - it gave me a good chuckle. I have a little plaque in my kitchen that reads - "I'm going to stop putting things off - starting tomorrow!" What beautiful cabinets. So glad your mom is doing well!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

The cabinets look like they were perfectly made for your sewing room. What a sweet friend.

Lindah said...

Bus service! What a lifesaver, yes? So glad Mum is doing well. I have just this week begun my own heart issues. A new learning curve for me.
You are doing the applique on machine --I've got to learn to do that. Looks good.
Take care.

Natureluvr57 said...

Fantastic cabinet! Glad you Mom is doing well. My Mom is turning 84 next month and it's a blessing she is doing so well. I pray I take after her that way. I spy my favorite Ikea cart! I have 4 of them. One for the kitchen, two for craft items and one that sits net to my recliner with current projects I can work on as I listen to tv.
We could use a shot of sunshine,,,,,but it's all good. I'll just make my own.

edith csokmay said...

You have been missed also. So glad to see you are able to spend a little time being creative. LOVE the Lemon Tree. And the furniture . . . what a wonderful gift and use for your fabrics. And who doesn't love squishy mail?

xx

donna said...

Very sweet gifts my dear. Friends are the best. Your new furniture is beautiful. Wow! You must have a lot of thread. lol!
It has been pretty gloomy here too most days. I have lost my sewing mojo.
Hope you have a beautiful day and everyone is well.
Hugs
donna

Sandra :) said...

Lovely projects - all of them :) I recognized Hermione as soon as I opened the blog post and saw the pictures! ;)

Jocelyn Thurston said...

Hi Allie,
Happy you were so well gifted and even with those very nice and useful cabinets. I'm finding a sewing room can get messy quickly so the furniture with door and drawers is the ticket. Also your mom is doing well...how good is that. Love your Beloved design. Happy stitching dear.

desertskyquilts said...

I've missed you, too! I figured you were busy with your mom, or secret stitchery, or something fun ... and it sounds like there was SOME fun in there, at least. We finally had a sunny day yesterday, and I was so happy! This gray stuff is killing me! What wonderful gifts your friends have sent you. You are very fortunate in friends, but I expect that's because YOU are such a good friend! I'm grateful your mother is doing so well. Those cabinets are great. I have one corner cabinet, and with the tiny kitchen I have, I'm lucky to have it. My dishes live there! And some pots in the bottom. Your use of the china cabinet is perfect! Snacks? You have snacks????

Rachaeldaisy said...

LOL!!! I need that sign that says I'm so far behind I'm first. I feel like i'm running to keep up too!!. It's lovely to see what your working on. I love that lemon tree quilt. I remember when you showed it as a Bloggers Quilt Festival 100 years ago. Your new dresser is beautiful, what a lovely display for your fabrics.

Karen Schurr said...

What a special friend you have. Beautiful cabinets. Glad your mom is doing well and things are getting more settled. I loved that lemon tree quilt. You did such a superb job on it. I'm really really behind, too, so you're not alone. I'm just pluggin' along. Stay happy, Dear. Hugs

Jeanette said...

Love those cabinets. They are fabulous.

Lin said...

Hi Allie - good to see you around. Gorgeous gifts and I love your new furniture. Good to hear that Mum is doing well. xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...