Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Update


Well.  We went to meet the heart surgeon today.  Nice guy - not real cheery though.  

Mum will need open heart surgery, and a new mitral valve.  She'll be getting one from a cow.  [The jokes we made at lunch afterward....oh dear.]  She'll be on the heart/lung machine for 3-4 hours during the surgery.  He told us all the bad news first - like, how your heart has two parts, and they're joined by a band of tissue - hers is also calcified, and if he can't clean it out completely and put it back together, that'll be the end of her right there.  Her risk of stroke is high.  Her risk of kidney failure is high.  Her chances of making it without the surgery are non-existent.  He wants to operate next Thursday.

So.  Turns out he's a Christian, and said God guides his hands every day.  You've no idea how relieved we were to hear that!  If she doesn't go next week, she'll be going October 6th.  I have to find a Lazy Boy recliner that has a lift - he said most folks aren't comfortable in the hospital beds, and like the recliners better.  She'll be able to do stairs just fine, but won't be able to use her arms much, even for lifting herself out of her chair.  I guess that happens when they crack open your breastbone.  Recovery will be 3-4 months, perhaps longer as she's diabetic and doesn't heal well.

Friends, we covet your prayers.  I know we'll get through this by God's grace, and nothing else.  

Mum is already planning on dining out well on the strength of her scar alone....I will not be taking a picture of that, no matter how she begs.  *G*

Love,
Allie

18 comments:

Little Quiltsong said...

Thank you for sharing! We will pray that all goes well and that God holds the hands of all involved in the surgery!

Liz said...

I will be keeping you and your mom in my thoughts!

Terry said...

Prayers said and hugs sent to you both. I'll be looking forward to hearing how well her surgery went. :0)

O'faigh said...

AAhhh Allie, my thoughts and prayers for both of you.....Life is tough at times.....Hugs Lyn

Nancy J said...

The next update will tell us that all went well. I think surgeons these days have to spell out all the risks, they did with Hugh, and he almost hesitated !!! Loving wishes and many hugs for you all.

Águeda said...

I desire with the heart that everything goes well and her mother will recover soon. Of course you and your family are in my prayers. I sincerely believe that the most important thing is the good attitude of his mother: A lady with strong soul and desire to go out to show off her scar. :) I'll be here waiting for your first photos of convalescing good :). Hugs.

donna said...

Bless her heart. Prayers and hugs for y'all.
Hugs
donna

Cathy said...

I will keep your Mum in my thoughts and prayers. I'm glad you have confidence in the surgeon. Hugs

Lindah said...

I'm adding my prayers to those already promised. May Mum's physical heart and spiritual heart (yours, too) be filled with God's peace.

Fiona said...

Special love to my surrogate mother I have never met.... I'm sure it will all go well and that she will have a new lease on life with a cleaned out and cow heart! Lots of love to you my friend, I know it will be a worrying time...
Hugz

WoolenSails said...

My sister took a while to recover and she was younger, so it will take time but nice that you are there for her.
My prayers are with her.

Debbie

Beth said...

Allie, this is a huge surgery, to be sure, but it can go well and make a great difference. After my neighbor recovered from his valve replacement he felt so much better. I'll be hoping for the same for your mother. Having faith in your doctor is huge, and it certainly sounds like you found the perfect doctor for your family--isn't that a blessing? Rest up before the surgery--both of you.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Praying for your precious mum...and thanking God the surgeon knows Who guides his hands. That in itself is an answer to prayer.
Much love, and hug your mum from me. xxxxxxxx

Tanya said...

Praying for your mom. Keep us updated.

Karen said...

I got one of those lift recliners for my mother. Helped her a lot after a stroke. Maybe Medicare would help pay for one for your mother.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Wow....somehow I missed this. Love and Gentle hugs to you and your Mom. We'll definitely be praying.

Anonymous said...

Hi Allie

I will be praying for your Mum. Great to know the surgeon is a Christian and therefore trusts that God will direct his hands!

Blessings

Kerrie
(Kezzie)

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Hi Allie
Prayers that the surgery will go well. My BIL had open heart surgery and yes, sleeping in the recliner WAS more comfortable than a hospital bed. Best Wishes for all of you.
xx, Carol

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...