Monday, February 8, 2016

Applique

The other night, as I was hunched over my embroidery [and my neck and shoulders were KILLING me] I decided I needed something to hand quilt.  So I drew up a little pattern.

When I'm doing embroidery, I have to take my bifocals off.  And then get my nose 2 inches from the fabric, so I can see it.  I love doing embroidery, but it does hurt sometimes!  When I'm doing applique or hand quilting, my bifocals are fine, and I can sit comfortably.  See why I needed something to hand quilt?

I do my applique a little different, especially if it also has embroidery.  I thought maybe you'd like to see how I do it, in case this is something you could use too.

This pattern has a couple of pages - one is a layout diagram, and it's numbered [every applique piece has a number], and also a reverse layout, numbered as well [with the same numbers] for tracing onto fusible web.  I trace the pieces from the reverse layout onto fusible, putting the numbers on them as well.



Every piece has a number, so I know where it goes afterward.



I cut out all the pieces, fuse them onto the fabrics, then prepare my background.



I trace the entire pattern onto my background fabric.  Sometimes I put the numbers on there as well.  No overlays, no putting my layout diagram on my lightbox, just right on the fabric.  I use a fine point wash-away blue quilting pen, because it doesn't disappear when I fuse the pieces down, but it will disappear when I spritz it!

The stems on this will be embroidery, and I don't have to worry about lining everything up just so, it's all laid out for me on the fabric already.  If your pattern has embroidery with the applique, you really want to use the extra-fine point blue pen, as with the regular ones your lines will be too thick.  Which won't matter with the applique part.

I really don't think I invented this, lol, I'm sure a lot of you do this as well - I've never had quilting classes, but in all the books I've read and videos I've watched, I've not seen anyone do this.  And it's so easy!  Do let me know if you do this too!

Love,
Allie

18 comments:

shez said...

Hi Allie yes its a great idea ,i do that as well.
I have my bi focals and then i have another pair of glasses just for close up work and boy it makes a diffence,yes i cant use my bi focals either for stitching,i hope you have a lovely day my friend xx

WoolenSails said...

I have to wear my glasses to stitch or I make more of a mess, haha.
I didn't want bifocals and I just wear them for stitchery and fine work so I can make sure I am going in the right direction. That looks like a fun piece to do.


Debbie

Ɓgueda said...

I do applique in many ways. Your way too. I like everything :)

West Michigan Quilter said...

Thanks for the little tute! Not how i do applique, but I'm always interested in how others do it. Great design.

Karen said...

Such a nice design that you drew.

Sharon - creativity and family said...

It sounds like a great way to do it Allie, I shall remember that one. x

Cathy said...

Love your design. I do the same thing. I copy the design onto my background fabric. It helps keep my applique straight. Can't wait to see you finished quilt. Hugs

sunny said...

I just cut out a rather scrappy applique pattern, and I went through and numbered all the pieces first. I don't think I've ever done that before. I plan on assembling it on retreat, along with my sailboats!

Michele McLaughlin said...

Hey Allie, question: do you use this for raw edge applique or blanket stitch or fold it under? I never thought about folding it under with fusible actually...you have my mind thinking of new ways to do things! Thanks Gal! Hugs, Mickie

Karen Schurr said...

Great little tute, Allie. I've always struggled with keeping things straight, and my normal blue pen lines have been troubling, so this tip really will help.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Great tute Allie!

Jeanette said...

Thanks for the tute Allie. Great idea. Hugs,xx

desertskyquilts said...

I don't mark my background at all. My friend Fran did, but I think she used overlays. Ugh, what a lot of time that is! I have too many hand things going on to take up applique again, though I loved it when I did a lot. Your design is adorable. What's that like? "Oh, I need something to do, I think I'll just draw up a new design." LOL You are so talented!

donna said...

What a great idea. Thank you for sharing sweet Allie.
Hugs
donna

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

I never trace onto the background I must try that thanks dear Allie xx

Shasta Matova said...

I've been having trouble with seeing close up lately, so I went to the eye doctor to get my glasses upgraded. Hopefully in a couple of week's time I will be able to see again. How is quilting and applique different from embroidery? I think I need the same seeing ability for all three.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Thanks for sharing your technique. I love seeing how different people do things.

Jocelyn Thurston said...

Thanks so much for showing your method for applique. You are right- there seems to be no one right or wrong way, whatever works for you when it comes to this process. It is always interesting to read the different ways though. Very pretty design.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...