Monday, January 4, 2016

This One's For Amy



Because she said she wanted to see, lol.  So here you go, Amy!

Awhile back, my son took me to the Salvation Army store.  He needed some shirts or something.  As I was wandering around, I spotted something that made my heart skip 3,000 beats.......



Well, wouldn't yours?  It was sitting there, with its four chairs looking all padded and comfy, and I heard it call my name......"Allie.....take me home with you....oh Allie....."

Just then, a woman walked by, stopped cold, and exclaimed, "what a darling kitchen set!"  Uh-oh.  Competition....

My son came walking up, and I grabbed his arm and showed him My Table.  He asked where on earth would I put it.  Well, good question!  My room is exceptionally tiny.  I already have a 50's table, along with a ton of other stuff in here.  Never mind, I said, I can make room.  I'll stack dressers.  I'll knock out a wall.  I'll sleep in the hallway.  You know, the things you do for a set like this.

One of the employees came walking up, and like the other woman, gushed over the set.  I was getting nervous.  I walked back and forth, saying yes, saying no, and finally decided Sam was right, I didn't have the room for it.  We started to walk to the cash register so he could pay for whatever it was he bought.  I was in a fog and didn't care.

As we walked up, the gal at the cash register got on the loudspeaker.  "All furniture today is 20% off!"  Sam looked at me, I looked at Sam, and we RAN back to the table, snatched the tag; and like the good son he is, he bought it for me.

I won't bore you with the details of how we got it into the car, the house, up the stairs, and into my room.  I can't really walk a straight line in here.  But oh the bliss when I sit and design.

 
Two chairs have to live downstairs for now, we need to put the feet on the bottom of the legs on the table [hence the papers keeping it level], and I wouldn't trade it for all the tea in China.  It's huge - it did fit better without the leaf in, but I love a good big table to work on.

So there you go, Amy.  Now if you can just find me a pink metal cupboard like you have in YOUR sewing room......



24 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Haha!! Yes, you do need a pink cupboard!! We discussed moving it into the kitchen to use for the peninsula, but I couldn't bear to part with it in my sewing room. I love it so much!!

We never have such great finds like your table at our Goodwill. I am so glad you got it and I totally understand the lengths you would take to get it to fit in your home. I would have done the same thing!!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

I LOVE IT!! And I would have grabbed it up if I had seen it first! ha, ha. Enjoy.

WoolenSails said...

That was a good find, really good condition too.
I think that would make a nice workspace for crafting on, lol.

Debbie

Sandra :) said...

We never have great stuff like that either - we do get a fine selection of stained linens (which they sell for more than Walmart would sell them for new ... and clean :D), half-finished plastic canvas projects, worn out shoes, purses with broken zippers and straps, and the best selection of chipped china you'll ever find north of the border! Congrats on the fab find :D

Karen Schurr said...

Oooh. What a great find. What a lucky girl you are.

shez said...

Hi Allie,wow this is an amazing set I am so glad your son bought it for you,it's gorgeous and just the right table to design on.xx

Águeda said...

:) Comprendo perfectamente que usted haya tenido que llevársela a casa. Yo tampoco la hubiese dejado escapar. Aunque tuviese que caminar de perfil por la habitación, esa mesa es una maravilla. Buena compra!

Marie said...

Sounds like it was meant to be. We should all be so lucky to work at such a lovely table.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

LOVE it!!! Love the story too...oh how precious is that young man of yours!!!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

When the heart speaks....buy it. Really nice.

sunny said...

Love, love, love it! I would have fought you for it, I'm sure. I'm sure more amazing designs will be flowing off that table soon. :-)

Sharon - creativity and family said...

Oh, you made me laugh Allie, I would love to have been there! A great little piece, especially with the 20% off! Enjoy :-)

Edith Csokmay said...

What a great find, Allie !!!!
I NEVER, ever find things like this in my local thrift stores - none of them. Good for you. It is absolutely perfect. Had we know when we were growing up that we would love them, we would have kept mom's and grandma's :)

xx

Fiona said...

fabulous retro table and chairs and in such good condition too
Hugz

Sharon said...

Cool table! And chairs to match is just awesome. Good on you! You win the thrift store shopping prize for this one! Glad it fits in your room too.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Woo hoooooooooo!!! A fabulous table and a fabulous tale too! I love it!
Yay for you Allie and Yay for an awesome son!

desertskyquilts said...

Not quite like the one I grew up with, but not too different! That's great! I'm glad you bought it. You would have regretted it if you hadn't. And how nice of your son to purchase it for you!

Karen said...

Oh how well I remember that style of table and chairs. The kind I grew up using for meals, homework, and board games. When my mother moved in with us, she brought her red set. We had no place for it except on the screened porch. It got good use out there but the humidity eventually did the set in.

Liz said...

Score! What a great find.

Winifred said...

It does look swish! You would have been daft to let it go when it was reduced & you would have kept wishing you had bought it.

Just pooped over from Jenny's blog. Love the Postcards from Heaven. Thanks for these.

O'faigh said...

Hi Allie just love your purchase what a great son you have regards lyn

donna said...

I do not blame you Allie, your table is awesome. I do not know if I could of left it behind either. I always say if you have to think about to much you are going to regret not getting it so go for it. lol!
Hope you are staying warm my dear.
Hugs
donna

Shasta Matova said...

Congratulations on a great find! I can completely understand the buy first and then figure out where to put it philsophy. I managed to have three dining room tables that way, but they all manage to serve a purpose. No such thing as too many horizontal surfaces.

Tanya said...

Lovely table! I wish things would call to me like that. I have the hardest time deciding to buy things and usually I'll just forget all th bother and go home without anything.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...