Monday, December 21, 2015

Birthday Girl

Today was mum's [dare I say it?  Of course I do] 78th birthday.  She was already at my aunt's house, so we drove out to spend it with her.


No Cake?????


Of COURSE there's cake.

Mum had a great birthday, and it's not over yet, as we're taking her Monday evening to see Star Wars.  I'm not really looking forward to this one - if you've seen it, don't spoil it for me, but you can tell me if it's better than the last one.

It's been a busy few weeks.  I've been working feverishly on the new, free BOM Jenny and I will be doing next year, starting in January, Postcards From Heaven [there's a button on my sidebar!].  Unfortunately, I haven't worked on my Scrappy Harvest, there's always someone sleeping at my house [lots of shift work] and I hardly get to turn on my sewing machine.

Which brings me to next year's goals.

I've always wanted to learn needle-turn applique.  This is the year.  I gave myself an early Christmas gift, a one-month trial subscription to The Quilt Show.  [Can't afford a year of it.]  I'm watching all the applique shows, and am learning a lot.  I haven't started actually appliqueing yet, but I plan to after Christmas is over.  

Needle-turn is a slow art, especially when compared to fusible!  But that's another goal of mine, to slow down and really enjoy what I make.  I don't want to rush my projects anymore.  I'd rather count happy hours than finished projects, if I'm not going to enjoy the process, then why bother?  Plus, I can hand-applique quietly while others are sleeping.  

How about you?  Do you have any quilty goals for next year?  Anything new you want to learn?  I'd love to hear about it.

I'll leave you with a picture of a very happy Snickers - she was so glad to see me, she jumped up in my lap and hugged my arm.  AFTER we played "tunnel".



See you soon!




16 comments:

B J Elder said...

Happy Birthday to your mom, Allie. I'm glad she got her cake!
Have fun with needle turn applique. I have done a few projects with it and I do like the effect it has versus fusible. Both have their place. I do agree, if we don't enjoy the process then it is not worth it. For me I think that is one of the main reasons I don't do things for bazaars, etc. as I can enjoy making one or two of something but to make many drives me nuts. LOL I admire those who can do it. I think that is why I do such a variety of things.
Have a very Merry Christmas my friend.

Cathy said...

Happy Birthday to Mum. Wishing her many more to come.

I love needle turn applique. However I use a toothpick to turn the fabric. Have a wonderful Holiday Season. Hugs

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Happy Birthday Allie's Mom!! My Mom's birthday was yesterday....95.

West Michigan Quilter said...

Happy Birthday to Mom! I can't believe she's just a few months older than me. Have fun with that Needleturn. I use it once in a while, but still go back to FP applique.

Nancy J said...

I'll leave the needle-turn to others. Love Snickers, and for your Mum, all good wishes and greetings to a wonderful 78 young Mum to you. Hope the movie is good for you too.

Edith Csokmay said...

Happy Birthday, MUM :)
Hope you all enjoy the movie and the night out :)
xxx

WoolenSails said...

Your mom must be a good sport, and quite the character, with the photos you share on the postings;)
The new BOM sounds nice, I want to be more creative this year and design more of my own things, but also work on projects that are on my to do list. I think my goal for this year is to take the time to place my appliqués so that they are not all crooked, lol.

Debbie

sunny said...

Happy Birthday Mum!! Needleturn is on my list of goals this year, too. I'm also ready to slow down a bit and appreciate the process more. And it will help my stash to last longer! Merry Christmas my friend.

desertskyquilts said...

No spoilers, but the new one is FABULOUS! It's Disney and they do everything well, you know. ;) In many ways, it reminded me of the first one. The first few minutes, it's interesting, but you'll be a little lost figuring out who's who. After that is sorted out, it's non-stop action, and really, REALLY good. There are several things that will remind you of episode 4, I think, but the characters and the actors are good, and of course you can't beat Star Wars technology! Enjoy it, look forward to it, it's worth the ticket price. I'm glad you had a great day with your mom.

Sandra :) said...

I hope she enjoys Star Wars tonight - HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I'm glad she got cake - I was worried there for a second, LOL!

Plans for next year - oh - same old same old - vow to use up stash and finish UFOs, then actually buy more fabric than I use, and start more than I finish ;) OK I don't actually do that last one - I do finish more than I start, but I sure do have a stack of UFOs that are aging gracefully downstairs - I really should do something about them, lol!

Merry (GREEN!) Christmas! :)

Águeda said...

Felicitaciones a la cumpleañera !!!! Mis mejores deseos para este año.
Mi gran meta para este año es aprender inglés. Así podré comunicarme con ustedes , mis amigas en la distancia, sin recurrir al inglés del traductor de Google :) Besos a todos. Un beso especial a la cumpleañera.

Fiona said...

Happy Birthday to my other mother from another continent..xx Great goals... me... hmmm... I want to finish some half done things... and start a few more?????
Hugz

Rachaeldaisy said...

Lots of happy birthday wishes to your mum!! The quilt Show is great isn't it. I wish I had more time to watch episodes. At the moment my new years resolution is to try to blog more, I seem to have gotten out of the swing of it.

Sharon - creativity and family said...

Happy Birthday to your Mum Allie. Snickers is gorgeous! I like the idea of slowing down with makes in the coming year. I have been really busy with Christmas makes but I have tried hard to enjoy each stitch and not let the pressure get to me and I have still (nearly) made it in time. I would like to carry this through to the next year and join you in a more relaxed crafting year :-) I hope you and yours have a truly blessed Christmas time. Hugs. xx

donna said...

Happy Birthday Mom! Hope you enjoyed Star Wars. Not my favorite either.
My goal for next year is to get some of my finished quilts quilted.
Merry Christmas
Hugs
donna

Tanya said...

Happy birthday to your mom!

I'm looking forward to seeing what your postcards from heaven is all about.

And Snickers, don't you look like you're having fun in your tunnel!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...