Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Scrappy Harvest At The Cabin Stitch-Along

I'm so excited - I'm almost ready to begin stitching.  I've been getting all my ducks in a row for this project [because they have to be lined up just right] and have cut almost all my strips.  I just have this much left to cut....

20151008_002433    2

And then I'll begin stitching.  That pile has some large pieces in it which I won't cut up completely.

So - I started getting my ducks in formation by setting up my design wall again.

20151007_175017    2

Which meant rearranging the entire room, sigh.  This is a 4x8 foot piece of insulation board, very lightweight, and I covered it with a flannel sheet.  I like it because I can stick pins in it, but it also holds the blocks without pins.  For a project this big, I need it.

I also picked up a bargain at Walmart.  I've been seeing people using wooden tv trays for small ironing boards, to set next to your sewing machine so you can press your blocks as you go - and Walmart had one for a little over $8.  I got a $4 ironing board cover, and stretched it over the tray, folded it under and pinned it in place.  I could have made a custom cover but I'm lazy and I'd rather be quilting.

20151007_175044    2

Oh my goodness I love it.

Then, I went to google images and printed off a picture of the order in which to sew my logs.  I'll do a quick tutorial when I make my first one, but this will help me keep those ducks in order.

20151008_002515     2

Jean from All Points of the Compass is going to be joining me, her strips will be 2.5 inches, as they're leftovers from another quilt.  My strips are two inches, which means I'll need more of them.

20151003_151548    2

How many?  I have no idea.  This project uses scraps, you can make it as big or as small as you want.  Make a potholder, or a bed quilt.  It just depends on how many scraps you have.

I'm not cutting my strips to length before I add them - I'll trim them as I stitch them.

As far as how big to make the blocks, I'm thinking 8" - I still have to draw up the house block and see if it will fit.  I don't want the house pieces too tiny.  I won't be doing sashing.  The applique will be done on backgrounds of log cabin blocks, that are done in all neutrals - not the normal red center, light side dark side style.   You can choose to leave it out if you wish.

This really is a stitch-along, I don't have a firm plan in place, I'm doing it just for fun and because I want to.  I'd love to have you join in - no rules but plenty of encouragement!

So - for now, get your scraps, start cutting, and print off a diagram of how the block goes together.  There are tons of them on google.  I'll do one myself very soon.  Ready, set, SCRAP!!!


Jocelyn from Canadian Needle Nana, could you please email me at allieoopsdesigns at gmail dot com?  I can't get in touch with you and I'd like to.





13 comments:

shez said...

Hi Allie,what a great idea and price your little table is,I hope you have a lovely day my friend xx

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Go girl you ages super organized 💓💓

Sharon - creativity and family said...

I love your ironing board idea Allie. I have one of those little foldaway tables upstairs that is hardly ever used, it may just take a little walk out to the craft room :-) I shall enjoy following your journey. xx

Karen said...

I have a folding tray by my sewing machine. It is not wood but I use a June Taylor pressing mat board on top of it and it works well for pressing as I sew. For a larger press of something, I just get out the ironing board and use it in the kitchen. But not needed to use it often.

WoolenSails said...

That is a fun project, look forward to seeing how it comes out.
I need a design wall, always laying things on the floor and I run out of room, lol.
I got one of their black tables too, but i use it to put things on when i am working in the living room and need the extra space for supplies, they come in handy. Thought it would be good for camping too.

Debbie

Linda in Calif. said...

Which meant rearranging the entire room, sigh. Hahaha! Yes, this happens to me too. Which is probably why I'm laughing. I have some log cabin blocks that was given to me. She didn't like them because there was not enough contrast between the darks and lights. Maybe I should get that out, unsew it and stitch with you.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

OMGosh......the first thing I noticed is how clean your sewing area is.....what's that about....giggle. I have about 3 feet left to walk in my room.

I'll be "watching along"

Rachaeldaisy said...

It's great to see you're organised and almost ready to sew. It's great it's not all planned to a t and there's room for creative decisions along the way.

Sandra :) said...

The more I think about it, the more I think I might join in - informally :D I have a box of blue strips downstairs - in varying widths - that I saved years ago for a string quilt. A wonky log cabin might be just the ticket - stitched onto batting, and quilted as each strip is applied. I like to have a project on the go that I can pick up whenever I have a few minutes and feel like working on something easy and stress-free. With projects like this I keep the supplies in a basket beside the sewing machine for fast access :D

Nancy J said...

Well, you are so far ahead, I have 2 foam boards, just need to make the cut edges straight, and cover with flannelette, old sheets in a very faded pale blue. I saw some log cabins, each one done in a single colour, but all shades and fabric patterns. With wide white sashing, looked great.

Shasta Matova said...

Both the design wall and the ironing table look great - so convenient! I don't have either of those. Your project looks intriguing. I am trying to finish up what I have started before doing any new projects!

Jenny of Elefantz said...

This is going to be a wonderful project! I can feel it in my sewing fingers... ;-)

Fiona said...

your area looks amazing... and I love the idea of your scrap log cabin blocks.... now can I fit another project in??????

Hugz

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...