Sunday, October 18, 2015

Quilt Show Part Two - Kathleen Mayo

My friend Patty and I were in junior high and high school together.  The ink wasn't dry on her high school diploma when she made tracks for Florida - I had gone into the military by that time and we lost touch.  A few years ago, I found her on classmates.com, and found out that she had lost her mom.  I loved her mom.  So sweet, so gentle, so loving....and after we had lost touch, she'd become a quilter!  How I wish I had known her then.

She was an amazing quilter, and she was a big part of this quilt show for many years.  Patty and her family come up every year for it, and bring her quilts to put in the show.  This time, one of her quilts was donated to the church - it's called How Great Thou Art, and it is the most amazing work of art.

20151017_122002    2
20151017_124836    2

I'm sorry that my stupid cell phone took such bad pictures of it.  Although there's no way a picture could do this quilt justice.  The amount of hand work in it is mind-boggling.

20151017_141215    2
20151017_141157    2
20151017_141145    2
20151017_141051    2
20151017_124827    2
20151017_124813    2

The quilt will hang in the Children's Ministry, to teach children the stories of the bible.  What a blessing!

The other quilt is called Claude's Navy Quilt, made for her husband to commemorate his service.  Only two of my pictures turned out at all - the quilt was laying on a table, and the lighting was less than ideal.  It was no less amazing than the bible quilt.

20151017_132551    2

I wish the close-ups had turned out on this.  It was jam-packed with information about his service, the top right border was all hand-drawn mermaids and oh it was splendid.  The back was equally amazing.

20151017_132655    2

That ship was HIS ship, in WWII.  All the signal flags, as well.  When I say she was a quilter, I really mean she was an artist of the highest caliber.  You could look at these quilts all day and not see everything, they're so detailed.  All the silks and laces and hand-drawn details - the exquisite workmanship in the applique and quilting - just magnificent.

Seeing her work really makes me want to be a better quilter!  Thanks for coming to the show with me, I am sorry about the quality of the pics - next year I'll do better, and that's a promise to me AND to you!

Happy stitching!!


14 comments:

Terra said...

I have not seen a more beautiful and meaningful quilt than the one with the Bible scenes and the Navy one looks handsome. What a gifted quilter.

Lin said...

What a stunning quilt - so much beautiful work. So pleased that it is going to be seen by many in it's new home. xx

Jocelyn Thurston said...

Thanks for showing the How Great Thou Art quilt...what a tremendous piece. A joy for so many and what I wouldn't give to see it up close! Envious here.

Karen said...

The Bible scenes quilt is awesome. A very creative use of fabric.

WoolenSails said...

That quilt is amazing, love the theme too. It makes me want to be a better quilter too, but we know that isn't going to happen, lol.

Debbie

Melody said...

Amazing and beautiful quilts

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Both are lovely, but the first is my favorite.

sunny said...

Wow. that is all. Just WOW.

Wish You Were Here said...

Oh Allie, thank you so very much for sharing my Mom's quilts! It was great to see you at the Show and I appreciate your kind compliments about her art. I know she is smiling from Heaven! Lots of hugs & blessings to you. xoxo

Rachaeldaisy said...

Thank you for showing photos of these amazing masterpiece quilts.

Sandra :) said...

How Great Thou Art is one of my favourite hymns - that quilt is gorgeouos - an heirloom! The navy quilt is as well - and the stories behind them are awesome - I have goosebumps :)

desertskyquilts said...

Both quilts are so inspiring. I can't believe all the ink-work she did, as well as the hand stitching. Such beautiful work. And is your friend a quilter now?

Edith Csokmay said...

the talent quilters possess will never cease to amaze me. What stunning quilts !!!

Shasta Matova said...

Wow these are both stunning. Everyt ime I think I have seen how marvelous quilts can be and then another one raises the bar even farther.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...