Thursday, October 1, 2015

Mending.

Finally!  This cold has really knocked me for a loop.  I'm not congested anymore, hardly coughing, but apparently I coughed so hard and so long that I damaged my voice box - my voice is coming back very slowly.  My family doesn't mind.

Monday I got some interesting news, and decided I needed to get out of the house - so mum and I went out to eat.  She says "hi" and dinner was yum.

2015-09-28 19.02.27    2

I haven't been doing much, not even reading blogs.  However, Jenny convinced me to try Instagram - and now I'm hooked.  Very fun.  Jenny made my Loaves and Fishes pattern, want to see?  I LOVE what she did with it!  That girl blesses me so much.


Did you see the super blood moon/lunar eclipse the other night?  I was watching it out my sewing room window, but it was so cloudy - then suddenly the clouds parted and I got to see it!  It was beautiful, wish I had a camera that would really capture it.  This shot was through the window - too darn cold to go outside.

DSC04126     2

Let's see what else is new - I've started a new project!  A long-term project.  And it involves piecing, yikes.  

2015-09-28 16.21.11     2

See all that fabric on the ironing board?  What do you mean, what ironing board?  Well, I started cutting and cutting and cutting into it - all 2" strips.  I'm starting a log cabin quilt!

DSC04136    2

I'm not sure why my red squares look kind of pink there.  Anyway, I'm using up all kinds of scraps, this is going to be so much fun.  I seem to have way more darks than lights, so I hope I can balance it out ok.  There's going to be three applique blocks too, and tons of autumn leaves in the borders.

One thing I'm learning already on this quilt.  I always thought I was a terrible piecer - my points never match.  Which is strange, because my very first quilt was perfectly pieced.  But I used a cardboard template, and cut the pieces out with scissors, and hand-pieced.  I thought my sewing skills had deteriorated, but now I'm thinking it might be my cutting!

For some reason, my ruler slides when I cut, no matter how hard I hold it down.  I noticed it when I was cutting out my red squares.  My ruler has little sandpaper dots on it, that I put there....

DSC04135    2

But I used them on the top side, because if you move your ruler with them down, you end up  moving the fabric too.  Today I tried putting them on the fabric side, and they worked like they were supposed to - perfect cuts!

DSC04129    2

I just have to be careful when I'm laying the ruler down to measure my cuts, so I don't move the fabric.

The name of this quilt will be Scrappy Harvest at the Cabin.  I'm intending to bust as many autumn-colored scraps as I can - and I'm using the biggest variety of fabrics ever!  Batiks, animal prints, homespuns - everything but brights, and blues.  If anyone would be interested in scrapping along with me, maybe I could do a stitch-a-long.....the applique patterns would be freebies.  Mine will be bed-sized, and depending on how many scraps I have [tons] I may make an extra one for a Christmas gift.  Let me know if you'd like to join me, ok?  I know there are tons of stitch-a-longs out there already, but hey, what's one more.  LOL!

Ok, must get busy....these scraps won't cut themselves, you know....





























16 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

How about I watch you....giggle. So glad you are getting better. I'm feeling a little yucky today myself. Hoping it's just good (bad) ole Texas Allergies.

WoolenSails said...

Glad you are feeling better, I already lost my voice from screaming, lol. I avoid coughs, too hard on my ribs, so far I have been able to take meds and vitamins to keep them away. Love how she did the quilt, really beautiful work. Your moon shot came out nice, you can see the shadows on the moon, mine got color but not the detail I could see through the lens. I need to try a tripod but such a pain to set it up, and didn't think about that till it was too late. The red looks red to me, love the new graphics on my computer, they are much better and I thought they were good before;)

Debbie

Nancy J said...

I have so many strips left over from the Wiggle me quilt, they are 2.5 inches wide, would that matter if I joined along? Always good to quilt along with a friend. I must get some of those dots, as my ruler slips, Do you use brand cutter blades, or the cheaper replacements? I have read that Olfa will last so much longer. I have joined the Midnight Mystery quilt with Cheryl, from Meadow Mist Designs, one new set each month, so far I am keeping up, so another challenge, sew-a-long would be good motivation for me, .

shez said...

Hi Allie,sending big hugs to you and your mum,i love your sewing room,boy i cant wait to see what you are making,hope you have a lovely day my friend xx

Sandra :) said...

OOooOOoo what was the news you got? Nosy/enquiring minds want to know! Glad you're finally feeling better - that cough has been going around here too, and it's nasty. With some of us (me!) it comes with a rather rude side effect :/ Love log cabin quilts - I think I have a quilt book downstairs that has different LC designs - I like the wonky ones with strips of differing widths - it helps cover my seam widths which end up being widely varied :D

Sharon - creativity and family said...

Glad you are gradually feeling better Allie, you and Jenny have both really been suffering recently!! I did have to look twice for the ironing board, wow, you really have been busy. I have ironed all my smaller scraps, some for little hexies and the bigger ones for squares to use up at some point but I don't think it will be this side of Christmas! x

KaHolly said...

Glad you're feeling better. I'm pretty lucky in the cold department, of course, if you never leave your sewing machine, you don't get exposed to germs! Good luck on your log cabin. Mounds pretty ambitious, but fun. Have a wonderful, funderful weekend. Hi to your mom.

Lin said...

Sounds like a great project - enjoy! xx

West Michigan Quilter said...

Glad you are feeling better. I know what you mean about this cooler weather. My system is in shock. Love this post and seeing all your pictures.

Rachaeldaisy said...

How interesting about cutting, my ruler slips too, I'd better keep an eye out for those dots. Your new project sounds great, I love that you're making it as scrappy as possible. Happy scrappy sewing!

desertskyquilts said...

Strangely, I thought I commented on this post, and I didn't! I loved Jenny's version of the fishes and loaves, btw. I'm looking forward to watching the development of Scrappy Harvest at the Cabin. Your last picture cracked me up. Yes, I'd like to do that. So much easier to store that way. LOL

sunny said...

I love your wall with all the small quilts! I was doing some organizing yesterday, and i think I found the perfect fabric for the sailboats!! I'll be watching you stitch, but I don't think I'll be able to join you this time. or maybe??

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

The moon was amazing, wasn't it?! Hope your voice comes back soon!

Karen said...

The little basket quilt is sweet as can be.
It was too cloudy where we were to see much of the blood moon. Just peeks through the clouds.

Jocelyn Thurston said...

I love scrappy quilts and a Log Cabin pattern is always fun to sew. I'm very tempted to join in and I will definitely be following you.

Fiona said...

glad you are feeling better, lots of lovely projects...
Hugz

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...