Sunday, October 11, 2015

First Block Made And A Short Tute

Yay!  I spent most of the day cutting and pressing.  Remember that tv tray I got to sit next to my machine, so I could conveniently stitch and press?  Well, my son found me something better....


The ironing board lifts up, it's on wheels [and has brakes], the baskets underneath hold my scraps that I'm using on this quilt.  I LOVE IT.  The ironing board on top is so firm and flat, it's just perfect.  And he found it at Aldi, of all places.

So.  Today I pressed and cut, cut and pressed, and after an hour long search to find my quarter-inch foot, I commenced to sewing.  I'm doing my blocks according to the old log cabin pattern - lights and darks, with a red hearth.  Here's how I did it.

Forgive the bad pics taken with my phone, in the dark.....

Logs 1 and 2 are the same size.  Mine are 2" square.  Stitch them together and press seam open [I always press mine open, you do what works best for you].

20151011_192018    2

Block 3 uses the same fabric as block 2 - following the diagram*, stitch it to your first two blocks, trim and press.

20151011_192149    2

20151011_192407    2

And you just keep going around, trimming and pressing as you go.  I've numbered a pic of my block, so you can see in what order I stitched the logs.

20151011_202633    2

I did a google image search for a log cabin template, and I believe I already posted a pic of it; I printed it out and put it on my design wall where I can reference it constantly.  It's really easy to get turned around with these blocks, but with that reference you won't go wrong.

My block finished at 10.5".  I think that's a good size.  As you can see from the pic, each block uses 3 darks and 3 lights, and you'll have two logs of each fabric, except for the center.  So - logs 2-3 are the same light, 4-5 are the same dark, 6-7 same light, 8-9 same dark, 10-11 same light, 12-13 same dark.  

I'm also working on the applique patterns.  The blocks for those will be strictly lights - pieced the same way, but with neutrals.  I wanted to see what size my blocks would be before finalizing the patterns.  Stay tuned for those!

I'm saving the trims off the logs - as long as they look big enough to make a leaf, they're going in the border.  My border is going to be tons of autumn leaves.  I really want to use up these scraps, lol!  I did say this wouldn't be a fast project, didn't I? *smile*  Happy scrappin'!!!

*Diagram that you found on google - or follow my finished block picture




19 comments:

desertskyquilts said...

Oh, if you iron open, forget the first up, second down tip. =) Looks like a great block. They get faster as you go, too! Looking forward to seeing the applique part.

WoolenSails said...

Love the iron board, that is a really nice idea for regular ironing too.

Debbie

sunny said...

Hmmm..you may have just convinced me to join in. Right after I get home from Aldi!

Sharon - creativity and family said...

It's looking great Allie. I love the ironing board, what a great place to keep those scraps too :-) It sounds as though you won't have many scraps left at the end of this, just a beautiful quilt instead! xx

Nancy J said...

Wow , you are so far ahead of me, BUT, I have made a huge design board, in fact there are TWO. Photos to come later tonight. Love your light and dark.

Anthea said...

That's a fab ironing station Allie, what a find! I gave up on trying log cabins, I could never get them even/straight, but yours looks terrific

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

What a great son with a great idea for the ironing board.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Your ironing work station is brilliant!! I love that it has scrap baskets underneath, and that it was your son that found it and thought of you. You are going to have a great time with those blocks, and planning your applique.

donna said...

Your new table is just perfect. What a sweet son you have.
Your log cabin block looks great.
Hugs
donna

Fiona said...

great ironing board and scrap holder... what a good find -

I have 'pinned' the tutorial... I love these but just can't start a new thing just yet...

take care... be good ... stitch madly

Hugz

ivoryspring said...

Your log cabin block is beautiful!

Edith Csokmay said...

What a great son and a great find :) Very clever use of that piece. Block is gorgeous and I can't wait to see more :)
xx

Claudia Bugh said...

Wow! What a thoughtful son you have raised. So nice to see a young person flying right so to speak :) I love your quilting... someday I would like to learn that skill ~

Sharon - creativity and family said...

Hi again Allie, I have nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award. Please don't feel you have to do it as I know time is precious but I wanted you to know how much I enjoy your blog. You can find my post here
https://creativityandfamily.wordpress.com/2015/10/14/where-do-i-start/
Sharon x

Dorothy said...

Allie, your ironing station is wonderful. Looking forward to seeing the applique part of this design.

Karen said...

That's quite a contraption for an ironing board. I don't think those cloth bins below would work for me. I would have them full and always having to dig to find what I wanted. But good that it works for you.

Lin said...

That table was a great find! xx

darlynn said...

I have three sons. I doubt any of them would even think of purchasing this for me! Great job Allie's Son!

Jennifer Wright said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...