Monday, June 1, 2015

Second Verse, [almost] Same As The First....

I had a great post for you [haha], and blogger ate it.  I'm trying to remember what it said - it was five whole minutes ago, so we may be out of luck.

Gratuitous ship pictures throughout - you're welcome.

I went to Port Huron this weekend, visiting with a dear Canadian friend.  She has a passport, I don't, so we meet on my native soil.  Oh it was good to catch up!!  Unfortunately the weather didn't smile on us, monsoon-style rains and wind and a high of 50F.  Ooh it was cold.

port huron mi freighters

I did make it down to Thomas Edison Parkway, under the Bluewater Bridge to Canada, to watch the freighters.  One of my favorite things to do when I lived in Port Huron.  There's something very relaxing about it, watching the water go by, seeing the great ships heading out to the horizon....

port huron mi freighters

Port Huron is halfway between my friend's house and mine.  We've been meeting there for years.  She homeschooled her four boys, and I homeschooled my two.  I think those trips were the favorite parts of our summers.

port huron mi freighters

Our boys are all men now, and it's so lovely to catch up, just the two of us.

port huron mi freighters

I'll never forget the time we were all standing on the walk next to the river - a man in full scuba gear came duck-walking down through the park, reached the railing by the river, and plopped right over.  He came up about an hour later, and shared with us what was down there.  Deep still pools packed with fish.....

port huron mi freighters

Wouldn't catch me down there, the currents are nasty.

port huron mi freighters

When I was younger, I contemplated joining the Merchant Marines.  I was something of a romantic, wanting to go down to the sea in ships....silly girl.

The waves on Lake Huron were 4-7 feet yesterday, I saw one lone sailboat out, with no sails up.  Very unusual for a Sunday, but it was cold!  Still is, as I sit here shivering, must be time for more tea.

I'm home for awhile now, so I'm hoping to catch up on your blogs, it's been too long!  I'm dying to know what you all are up to.  See you soon!

port huron mi freighters
That's the Canadian shore, across the river.




19 comments:

Terry said...

Look at all those lovely ships! I think I'd spend all my time watching them too if I was there. :0)

WoolenSails said...

There is nothing more relaxing than sitting at the ocean and watching the ships.
I even took a class in navigation, I had dreams of being a captain on a ship, lol.
My dad was one and a long line of sailors and fishermen, so I guess it is in my blood.

Debbie

O'faigh said...

Hello Allie enjoyed reading your post and photography hugs lyn

sunny said...

Silly girl - how can you live so close to Canada and not have a passport? I would love to sit and watch the ships all day. I've even been to Port Huron!

Sandra :) said...

I think I see my house in that last photo - if you look REALLY REALLY closely - you can see me waving out the front window ;)

I remember hubby's and my last visit to Port Huron - we were trying to get to the Aldi right near the US/Canada border - our nav system gave us wrong directions and we ended up on the bridge to cross back into Canada, rather than going on the street BESIDE it (that led to Aldi). I was some mad that I didn't get to take home a batch of shredded cheese and stick butter! We'll have to come down in the summer for a visit - Novi is calling my name, and then there's a lady and her mom near Detroit that I like to visit :D

BTW - I saw the post that got eaten - I could have sent it to you --- HA!! In fact, I think I *will* send it to you! :)

shez said...

hi Ally boy what beautiful pics,thankyou for sharing,yes i can imagine how cold it was,its one huge ship,i havent seen any like that one,enjoy your day my friend xx

Edith Csokmay said...

I used to and still do love watching the freighters come and go. I was born in Canada and remember many trips back to visit relatives and going and watching them. Such sweet memories of family times together. Glad you're back for a bit :)

xx

Jeanette said...

Fabulous post Allie. Sounds like you had a wonderful time with your friend. Hugs,xx

Jenny of Elefantz said...

I love "your love" of the ocean... x

Fiona said...

lovely pictures... majestic ship...so much force and power there
Hugz

Sharon said...

Wonderful photos of those massive ships! Glad you got some time to get away from everything to go visit with a friend, and take some time to just relax. Sorry to hear the weather wasn't cooperating.

We're cold, rainy and quite blustery here as well. But it's supposed to get up the mid-80's this weekend. Yikes! I'm not ready for that!

Hope you get some stitching time while you're home!

desertskyquilts said...

They are so amazing when seen up that close! I can't believe it's still cold there, but you are much farther north on Lake Huron! Happy stitching inspiration from this trip!

Dolores said...

Wonderful photos. I hope you ladies had a hot cuppa while watching the ships. It all looks so very peaceful.

Allie-oops Designs said...

testing

Nancy J said...

Huge container ships, I always wonder how many fall off in really rough seas. And wonderful to catch up, what a great time together. Superb photos.

Kaisievic said...

Thanks for sharing a bit more of your life with us, Allie. Hugs, Kaye P.S. Do you know that you come up as "no-reply" commenter when you comment on my blog?

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Hi Allie, just wanted to leave a comment that since you are on Google+ I can no longer reply to your comments on my blog. You come up as a no-reply comment. Sorry :-(

June said...

I always love seeing your photos of Port Huron, although where I lived is now called Fort Gratiot! Oh how I WISH I could spend the summer there!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Your boat photos are really captivating, so beautiful!! The catch up with your friend sounds delightful, and I love the story about the scuba diving man.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...