Thursday, March 5, 2015

Where Is It?

I was looking out my window the other day, and noticed a huge flock of birds in the tree across the street -

waiting for spring

Closer -

waiting for spring

I think they were waiting for something.  I think - they were waiting for spring.

AS AM I.

I've been hearing songbirds in the morning again, I think they jumped the gun, it's still single digits here at night.  But a warm-up is coming, and I can give the heating pad on my lap a rest!  Hooray for seasons - just when you get good and sick of one, another one comes along.  I love it.

I've been working on lots of things, and one of them isn't making me happy at the moment.  I adore Jenny's Vintage Kitchen BOM, and am really enjoying working on it - I also love the fabric I had for it.  But oh dear, not only is my background fabric for the stitchery too white, the floss color is not the right red!

DSC03413    2

It's not so obvious in the picture, but trust me - in real life it's glaring.  I'll have to find a different white, and a different floss color.  Because that background fabric is too perfect and I'm not giving it up.  I need a tomato red floss, guess I'll have to go shopping!

Another thing I've been working on is tiling a new quilt pattern.  It's one large piece, and I really wanted to provide a full-size layout diagram.  It took several days, lots of hair-pulling [it's ok, I have some left] and if I'm honest, lots of these....

20150305_231342    2

Just letting you know, if you can't figure something out, try chocolate.  It works.  Layout diagram is complete, it printed out just like I told it to, and tomorrow I'll start pulling fabric for it.  And - learning how to print reverse images for the fusible pattern pieces.....oh dear, I might need more chocolate!!!  Ok, who am I kidding....I always need more chocolate....



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Go forth and stitch! - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -




17 comments:

Rachaeldaisy said...

I hope the birds, and you, don't have to wait too long until spring bursts onto the scene. I love that retro kitchen fabric, I know it means you'll need a different white but it will be worth it. Your tiling quilt sounds fun, especially if it gives you the excuse to eat chocolate :)

West Michigan Quilter said...

LOL so glad to hear chocolate helps! Love your retro project. I'm like those birds...waiting for spring,

Karen said...

What if you tea dyed your embroidery piece?

Cathy said...

Those birds are Starlings. They always fly in large groups. Love your embroidery. Hey how about this weather. -5 this morning and it's suppose to be 50 next week. Hugs

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

We did not have as many birds this winter, so I'm not sure where they went. And I am addicted to Pretzel M&M's. Especially when I'm sewing :-)

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Have you tried DMC 666 - that's about as tomato red as you can get. Gosh I adore that fabric!!
What will you do with the block you just stitched?? Tea towel??

Love you sweet friend!
Jenny
x

Sandra :) said...

Chocolate makes any day better - more chocolate = better and better day! ;)

I can see that the white fabric wouldn't work, but the red floss, on my computer, looks just right. You wouldn't be happy working with it though, so I say you get what you want and what you can work with - life is too short to work with stuff that makes us grit our teeth :D

Fiona said...

chocolate fixes a lot of things.... good luck with the new pattern....
Hugz

sunny said...

What is this Spring of which you speak? Is it really coming? I have been hearing morning birds chirping, and I have seen robins. I also saw 10" of snow of Thursday. Send M&M's!!!!

Shasta Matova said...

Those birds do look like they are waiting! Chocolate does heal a lot of things and gives you energy and inspiration. Always good to have it around! I too was thinking a tea or coffee dye might help. Worth a try anyway!

desertskyquilts said...

Oh, yes, M & Ms. They got me through the year of teaching with Devil Child, or he might have become ... well, let's say one of us wouldn't have survived without chocolate! Strangely, there are those who use 349 for redword, but to me, it is just wrong! I hope you found the shade of red you wanted, and a white that was closer to your fabric. The piece you've done won't go to waste, I'm sure!

Sew This N That said...

I believe we saw spring yesterday, it visited the UK fleetingly just to say "hi" and then it turned cold again :)

I love the colours in that fabric you are going to use, it is vibrant and jolly :)

Have a great day my friend x

Carrie P. said...

The sky looks like spring has arrived but I guess looks can be deceiving. LOL
The red floss looks ok from my perspective but I know if we are happy with something we will fix it.

Ondrea said...

Surely you can make that stitchery into a pressie for someone. It looks lovely even though it is not the colour you needed. Jenny's stitcheries are so quick to do and I'm sure you will find more suitable background and thread to do another one. Great pic of the birds.Happy choccie munching.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

What background fabric are you using on your embroidery?

O'faigh said...

Good to catch up with you Allie. Kind Regards, Lyn

Karen Schurr said...

I didn't know chocolate worked so well; I'll have to try it. :) Love that kitchen fabric. What a great project. Hearing the birdies in the mornings here, too. Isn't it nice. Think we may have turned a corner toward Springtime. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...