Tuesday, March 31, 2015

To Rip, Or Not To Rip....

Not really a question around here.  I purely hate to un-sew.  My seam ripper is in like-new condition.  So, as I was quilting my new garden quilt, deciding it was just plain awful and hating what I was doing, I didn't un-stitch it.....

I quilted over it.

DSC03444    2

And quilted.  And quilted, and quilted, and quilted.....I'm still not done.  I probably won't be done until autumn.  But I think I like it, even though it's almost see-through at this point.

Inquiring minds want to know - do you rip out the quilting you don't like?  Or do you just go over it?  Have you ever quilted anything this densely?

In other news, someone had a birthday today, and she isn't telling how old she is.

DSC03460    2

But I will mention that the grey in my hair got me a senior coffee the other day at McDonald's, without asking for it.  There have to be some perks.

My aunt had a beautiful dinner at her house for me on Sunday, and she made a gorgeous cake.  I brought my camera.  Unfortunately, I neglected to bring the SD card that goes in my camera.  So no pictures of that.  Today though, mum had a beautiful dinner for me, and made me a gorgeous cake.  I made sure to bring the SD card today.

DSC03449    2

That was when we walked in - by the time she finished putting all the food out, small countries were calling for donations.

DSC03451    2

The cake.  I forget what it's called.  Mud Volcano, or tunnel, or something.  It was like fudge.  This cake had to weigh 20lbs - I told her it broke all the laws of physics.  Yes, it was delish!

Time to quilt some more and work off all this chocolate - I'm also working on a new, free stitchery design, which I hope to have done soon.  If you like red-roofed cottages, I think you'll like this one!

See you soon - go celebrate something!  I'll be hiding in my sewing room....

DSC03442    2




21 comments:

Debbie said...

Happy birthday, Allie!

(So, it's good your mother has some of it in Tupperware already!)

Nancy J said...

Allie, how did this special day slip past without world wide celebrations? Much happiness, love and laughter for you, what a scrummy cake and table goodies, enjoy, so special with family. Hugs and XXX

West Michigan Quilter said...

Happy birthday, Allie. Great pictures of your celebrations. Looks like your kitty joined in.

O'faigh said...

Happy Birthday Allie, how sweet is your mum regards lyn

sunny said...

Happy Birthday!! Please send me a cake like that. Oh my.

Cathe said...

Quilting burns calories? No wonder you quilt so densely!

Yes, I have quilted densely. It just depends on the project.

I use my seam ripper regularly, but I do more piecing and sewing and less applique than you do. I can't imagine sewing without my seam ripper. Maybe I just make a lot of mistakes. :)

Tammy said...

Happy Birthday.

Sandra :) said...

Happy birthday - LOL @ the "senior" coffee - when I went to a new aquafit place on Monday with my buddy, they asked her if she was a senior (55+) but didn't ask me - I thought it was pretty funny, but she didn't, LOL! She's not, btw, and they asked her again today - oops!

If I don't like my quilting or if I find tucks or nests, I'll froggy stitch if it's only a small amount - otherwise I tend to applique something over the bad spot. I made a quilt once time and "randomly" appliqued some hearts on the back ... I called it a design decision, HAHA!

Terry said...

That cake looks yummy...Happy Birthday! :0)

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Happy Birthday Sweet Allie!!!

WoolenSails said...

I am the same way, hate to rip out but have been getting better at it and worth it when I know I can't fix it and it needs to be resewed. quilting I do not take out.

Happy Birthday!

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Happy happy happy HAPPY birthday to you!!!!
Love you my friend, so very much, and wish I'd been there to hoe into Ma's Volcano cake with you!
Looking at your quilt photo I see no wrong...lovin' it to bits. ;-)

Hugs
Jen
xxxxxx

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Happy Birthday Allie!! Mine is Friday :-) So happy to share it with you!

desertskyquilts said...

I once took out quilting I'd done on about two rows of my longarm - hated every minute! I took out someone else's home machine quilting - hated every minute of that, too! I like your solution. Happy un-celebration to you. That cake looks sinful! I'm celebrating 4 days of sunshine!

Karen said...

Happy birthday, Allie. I started going gray in my 30's so my guess is you are no more than 39!

Rachaeldaisy said...

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday!! It's great to see you having a lovely celebration. That cake looks extra delicious! What a great idea to just keep quilting, and quilting ... I really like the look of the texture it's creating.

Pam Mclaughin said...

Happy (belated) birthday wishes to you, dear Allie. Is there any cake left? It looks yummy!

Sew This N That said...

Happy belated birthday my friend! I love my seam ripper I use it that often that Ian made me my precious.
love the look of the new quilt you are making :)
Heather x

Freya Rose Blossom said...

I can rip anything you want, but mum sews.
'APPY, 'APPY 'APPY BIRFDAY aunty ALLIE.

Luvs Freya Rose Blossom X

Bet you ate all the cake.. XXX

Tanya said...

Happy Birthday. I love who is hiding in your bag!
My seam ripper gets a lot of use but I'm all for quilting over "misquilted" lines. I think the extra line of quilting really makes the quilt!

Carrie P. said...

Happy Belated birthday. Dinner at your mom's sure did look good. Love her table cloth!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...