Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Fridge Art For Quilters - A How-To

blog button

When my boys were small, they were very artistic.  My refrigerator was covered with their artwork, along with those dumb magnetic letters and numbers you get at the dollar store - which fell off every time you tried to get some milk.  They're grown now, and the only thing up there is a grocery list,  a few magnetic business cards, and a pizza menu.  BO-O-O-O-RING!!!!!

Since I was at my aunt's overnight, I decided to use her fridge to show you how to spruce the place up for grown-ups!  It is so easy, with so few supplies, to let your light shine and show everyone what you can do with needle and thread.  Shall we start?  Here's what you need:

DSC03032    2


  • a quilt that will fit on your fridge
  • adhesive magnetic tape [available at Walmart]
  • scissors
Yep, that's it.  Turn your quilt over thusly -

DSC03035    2

measure it against your quilt under the top binding -

DSC03039    2

cut  -

DSC03041     2

peel off the paper from the magnetic tape -

DSC03044     2

and press it firmly, adhesive side toward the quilt, right under the binding.

DSC03047     2

And just like that, you're ready to take your fridge from boring

DSC03049    2

to the envy of all the other appliances!!

DSC03050     2

Top or bottom, it doesn't matter!

DSC03062    2

But Allie, you say, I don't have a fridge like that - mine is a side by side.  NO PROBLEM.  Measure the space, and make a quilt to fit!  I happen to have a side by side myself, and I'm thinking of the small quilts I have that would fit perfectly.  A skinny table runner would be awesome.  It doesn't have to fit the whole space, just put up one [or two or three] and give your kitchen some color and life - a fridge that isn't embellished with quilts is just wasted real estate!

By the way, I made sure to bring this quilt home with me, much to my aunt's chagrin - she thought it looked wonderful there and wasn't going to remind me to take it.  Maybe I'll have to make her one!

My name is Snickers and I approved this post.
DSC03060    2

16 comments:

Sandra :) said...

Now you know what to make your aunt for Christmas, or for her birthday :D Cute way to hang a little mini quilt - I could hide hubby's collection of ugly magnets behind it :D

Hi Snickers!!

desertskyquilts said...

LOL, so now I need a new refrigerator!

WoolenSails said...

I use the rug tape to hang my quilts now, great way to hang them without hurting the quilt and this way I can change them out without putting a ton of holes in the walls.

Debbie

Mickie said...

Love this idea! As soon as things settle here, I'm going ot attempt this. Thanks Allie! Love your new pattern soooo much! :)
Hugs, Mickie

West Michigan Quilter said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I didn't know about that kind of magnet. Wonder what Woolen Sails means about rug tape?

sunny said...

I'm glad Snickers approves! I've always wanted to use that name for a cat. You definitely need to make a quilt for your aunt!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

What a great idea!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Love this! Very creative!

Fiona said...

I'm always wondering where else to put a little quilt... now the fridge is not safe either!!! clever idea Allie...
Hugz

Terry said...

What a great idea! But I think my family would shoot me if I put a quilt on the fridge! LOL Loved the "Turn your quilt over thusly" line! :0)

Carrie P. said...

FABULOUS IDEA!

Dorothy said...

Cute idea Allie. I remember those magnetic letters and numbers, my kids had them on the fridge too!

Wendy said...

that is such a cool idea Allie! Unfortunately, our fridge is built in so no fridge magnets or fridge art for me!

Angie said...

So what rock have I been under??? LOL I am in love with your fridge art quilt---it is definitely on my 'to do' list now. :)

Linda in Calif. said...

Such a good idea!! I really think this would be fun.

KaHolly said...

Pretty clever. I never would have thought to do that!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...