Friday, September 19, 2014

Dive! Dive! Dive!!

Yay, I'm home!  For a couple of days, anyway.  I thought you might like to see a picture of where my mum spends her mornings....

2014-09-17 10.31.00
The bed from the gurney goes right inside.

That is a hyperbaric chamber, the same thing they use when divers get the bends.  They are mainly used in wound care nowadays.  They're awesome for healing - especially for diabetics.  Mum's divemaster, Archie, is a wonderful guy.  He and my aunt set up this entire department at the hospital.  Mum is in good hands!  You should see her, she looks so good, her skin is all pink - she has an oxygen glow.  Unfortunately, she also has a lot of pressure in her ears and is almost deaf at the moment - she gets tubes in her ears this week.  Lots of fun talking to her right now....she keeps telling me not to yell at her, but it's the only way she hears me!

While she's diving, I'm busy working on my little quilt.

2014-09-13 11.31.15    2

I'm outline quilting, and having a blast - it's such mindless stitching.  And after 5 months of care-giving, I don't have much mind left.  I need something easy, lol.

Have you been to Jenny's lately?  She has a great new tutorial, and some gorgeous new Christmas designs....go see!


17 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

You take care of yourself some too! Love your hand work.

WoolenSails said...

It is wonderful how they can use the chambers for healing and glad to hear that it is helping your mom.


Debbie

Nancy J said...

This looks like great fun, and is the new "Maria" doing her stitching as she should? That chamber, your Mum is brave to go in there, I do hope the whole process is doing what it should, Cheers,Jean.

KaHolly said...

Glad your mom is doing so well! Love your work.

B J Elder said...

What an amazing machine for the wound care. I helped care for my dad's legs for a few years and what a challenge that was. No machine like that for him. Caregiving is a LOT of work. Glad you have a bit of a break. It is much needed. Do something fun/special just for you!

Terry said...

I'd have a hard time going in that thing...I'm claustrophobic! LOL But I'm so glad it's helping your mom. I'm glad you're enjoying your hand stitching too! :0)

Tanya said...

Glad to know that your mother is in good hands.

Fiona said...

that's quite a machine for your mum... give her a hug from me and one for yourself too!
Hugz

Sandra :) said...

If it gets wifi, I'd take my tablet in there and be able to ignore the world and it's problems, lol!

In actuality, though, I'd probably do a claustrophobic freak-out should anybody try to load my butt in there :D I'm glad it's helping your mom, though!

Allie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Good to know your mum is being looked after.....you take care as well Allie...

Carrie P. said...

That is pretty interesting. Never heard of such a thing to help diabetics.
At least you have some hand work to keep you busy. Nothing worse than just sitting and waiting.

Elaina said...

Hey! tell your mum that the fun is just beginning. I spent 17 sessions in one of those due to an open wound on my knee from a "scooter incident" - now I've lost my distance vision. Don't need my readers for now, but can't see beyond 4 feet. They say it will go back to normal in about 6 wks. Do they give your mum a bottle of water to drink while she's inside? She should drink at the beginning and end to help with the ear pressure! Good luck to mum! Your work is beautiful!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

It is amazing what medicine can do for people. I'm glad you have found things to do while waiting....it beats reading the newspaper :)

Kelly

Karen Schurr said...

Wow, that's amazing how the chamber works for wounds. I had a skin graft that wouldn't heal, and it took months to heal with sterilization 2x a day and finally silver ointment. Love seeing your new quilt, too, Dear. Have a great week. Hugs.

Cathy Buel said...

Glad to hear your mom is doing better. I had a friend who has type 1 diabetes. He got a cut on his foot that wouldn't heal and they put him in the same chamber. He is doing great. So high hopes for your mom. Love your little quilt. Hugs

Terra said...

Your new quilt is darling and that chamber is amazing as a tool for healing wounds.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...