Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Records, Ugh.

We're breaking records this year, and I don't mean the vinyl kind.  So what do you do when you have record-breaking cold, and record-breaking snow?  Hypnotize yourself by making a record-breaking number of French knots.

20140312_185543

Which, actually, I love to do.  I have my own crazy method - I use a pillow on my lap and when I stab the needle through, wrapped, I stab it into the pillow to hold it, while I reach underneath to pull it through.  It keeps my knot from coming out.

My shift was called off for tonight, so I'm home wrapping and stabbing.  Huddled under a comforter, with the heating pad.  Yes it's that cold.  March is relentless so far.  We're 3 inches from the snowiest winter ever!  Enough already.

My lovely friend Patty flew in last week from Florida, to go through some of her mum's quilts and stuff.  I only knew her mum before she started quilting - but she went on to win awards.  She was the sweetest woman, I didn't know her well but I remember her with fondness and admiration.  In going through her mum's things, Patty found some wooden blocks that her mum had in her sewing room, and blessed me with them.

20140309_192549

I will treasure them, as one of my best friends ever gave them to me, and they came from her sweet mum.  I have a shelf somewhere, stored, that I need to find, it will be perfect to display these blocks.  Better than in front of my ugly tv, lol.

And now back to my stitching - stay warm, dear friends, keep dreaming of spring!


 11 For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; 12 The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land; 13 The fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.  Song of Solomon KJV


DSCN0078    2

16 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

I really love your stitching. Just make sure you stab the pillow...:) Burrrrr.....keep those toes warm.

sunny said...

So sorry about your snow! We had some rain today, and the weather is going to drop drastically, but the precip should be done by then. Love all your French knots. They look Spring-y!

Sandra :) said...

Yes we had a lovely blizzard here today - I went out to get the mail (across the street), then 20 minutes later went back out to take something to the blue box - my footprints from the first trip WERE COMPLETELY FILLED IN. Hubby and DS2 shovelled the driveway when hubby got home from work - an hour later it was covered again. Spring is coming - it HAS to!!! If we can find something good in this, the cold is killing off some bad bugs, and apparently all this precipitation is great for our too-frequently thirsty grass :)

Terry said...

I love all those French knots! Is that one of your designs? Stay warm! :0)

B J Elder said...

Can't wait to see more of that embroidery project. It is looking fabulous. So sorry your winter has been so rough. Ours has been too mild. We finally got some snow so the summer won't be as dry as it was looking, but... a very strange winter for sure. The upside ... lots of great weather to "force" you to "have to" quilt. LOL Stay warm and happy stitching!

Nancy J said...

Gifts from dear friends, perfect, knots, a lovely way to spend a day inside. Stay safe in that storm. Cheers, Jean.

Heather Bradley said...

Love your title..records...uk has more rain and flooding than usual, it sounds impossible doesnt it. Your french knots look beautiful, i struggle with them...everyone of yours are equal your amazing!

Shari said...

Hang in there! Warmer weather will come and then it will be hot! Just think of all that lovely moisture you're getting. We haven't had enough rain to make mud in over six months! And hot days and nights.

Cathy said...

I'm curious about what you are working on. I'm sure it is your own design. Do you believe the snow we got yesterday.... Hugs

Carrie P. said...

can't wait to see what you are embroidering. I love doing french knots too.
a very sweet gift from you friend

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

This has been a crazy Winter! We may not have snow down here but we do have the fluctuating temps. One day it will be 80 degrees and the next it drops to 60 degrees. Just crazy.

I've always enjoyed making French knots. Something about those sweet little bumps make me smile.

Wendy said...

such beautiful stitching. i often use the same technique when making french knots - except I stab my leg, not a pillow, and it's not intentional!

Shasta Matova said...

This has been a memorable winter, for sure, but spring will eventually get here, and then you won't have an excuse to be quilting and stitching. Your stitching is gorgeous!

Val said...

So glad to see you here! Love your stitchery. Wish you were close to inspire me!

KaHolly said...

Sweet stitching! I never mind inclement weather (as long as there's electricity!)

Liz said...

My two little ones have been all about the heating pads this winter. It's been super cold up here as well - but today we are supposed to hit 40 degrees!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...