Monday, March 3, 2014

Almost Spring...

Honest.  It's coming.  It'll be here soon.  Never mind the snow, the ice, the below zero temps.....the sun shone today.  I put on actual sunglasses.

One of my favorite spots to go in the warm weather is Port Huron, Michigan.  It's a very busy border crossing town [used to live there].  Sunday, my girlfriend from London Ontario met me there, and we got a motel room and stayed up half the night catching up on "stuff".  Normally, we have all our boys [my two and her four], but this time, it was girls only.  You betcha we're going to do it again.

Last night, it got down to -8F or something ridiculous like that.  We sat in Cracker Barrel, in front of the enormous hearth, enjoying the roaring fire with our meal.  No pics sorry, we were too busy having a gabfest.  This morning, I went sightseeing, and it was nice without all the tourists.  But COLD!!!

DSC02210    2

Loved that house.  I also went to visit the lighthouse that I'd never been to.  It was closed, but pretty.  Didn't stay out of the car long!  I think it was 1F by that point.

DSC02205    2
DSC02206    2

Now this pic is looking toward Lake Huron from the lighthouse, which is on the St. Clair River....

DSC02208    2

The  trees on the right, across the river, are in Canada.  You see that white line that stretches across the horizon?  That's ice on the Lake.  The Great Lakes have something like 90% ice on them!!!!  Unheard of!

This is where I lost my nice warm gloves.  One of my favorite spots by the Bluewater Bridge.

DSC02194    2

And of course, I stopped at the quilt shop - Sew Elegant - and found the perfect fabric [I hope] for my new pattern.

DSC02212    2

Isn't that great fabric?  It ought to be, for what I paid for it.  Been awhile since I purchased anything new, lol.

So that was my lovely weekend.  I hope you had a good one too, and that you're enjoying warmer weather than I am....I'm back to working more hours, so my attendance at your blogs will be spotty at best.  But the paycheck gets me more fabric, and that's a good thing!

Keep thinking spring....spring....spring....


15 comments:

Sandra :) said...

It's going to warm up ... it's going to warm up ... it's going to warm up *chants* :/ IT'S NEVER GOING TO WARM UP! On the local weather report tonight they said that we're not getting anywhere near seasonal for at least 2 weeks. Oi vay!!

I'd never heard of polar vortexes (vortexii? vortices?) before this winter - and we've had ... what ... 7 or 8 now (or 3, lol)? AWFUL! If I had been shovelling snow this winter, I'd be skinny by now!

Mary-Kay Colman said...

Port Huron looks really pretty in the winter. I've only ever passed through it, never actually visited. If we think spring enough, will it get here any sooner? This is the first year that I'm really sick of winter. I don't know why, I don't have to go out unless I want to or have to. Maybe it's too many have to's.

WoolenSails said...

It looks like a wonderful place to stay and visit, a bit too cold though, lol. I love your new fabric, that would be fun to work with.

Debbie

Nancy J said...

Beautiful photos, love that lighthouse, and superb fabric, that will be something special to be a holiday memory. Cheers, Jean

Terry said...

Looks lovely even with the cold! That lighthouse looks very much like the Marblehead lighthouse we have here. Well, two hours north of here. LOL

Cathy said...

I haven't been to Port Huron in a while. I love Sew Elegant. Now I'm going to have to go there...lol

Love all your pics. Hugs

sunny said...

What a lovely weekend! I went to Port Huron on my honeymoon, and I have pictures of that very lighthouse. If I remember correctly, that was our first lighthouse of the tour. Think Spring. Think Spring. Think Spring.

donna said...

What beautiful pictures. Sounds like y'all had a lot of fun. We got ice last night. Which is a rear thing for the part of Texas. Hope you are staying warm and safe my dear.
Hugs
donna

~Laurie~ said...

Glad you had a good time - sounded like fun! That fabric looks pretty cool!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

What a lovely place. Now I could live in that house.

Fiona said...

Lovely to have a read and see places you are visiting ... Enjoy your spring ... Out trees are starting to change colour
Hugz

desertskyquilts said...

Spring IS coming. I saw robins in my yard a couple of weeks ago. I imagine they will keep moving north. It's sunny and 50 here today, so I know it's going to get better. =) Thank you for sharing these pictures of a place I wouldn't otherwise ever get to see. I have a friend who lives in London, too! What a wonderful weekend it sounds like, something you both needed to recharge your batteries. Fabric prices are shocking lately. I know they are reasonable considering all the people from farmer to producer who work to make it, but it isn't reasonable on my budget.

Soggibottom said...

So good to hear that spring in your typing :-) Ah, well we have the other Spring too, I'll nip it on over to you :-) xxx

Carrie P. said...

Despite the cold temperatures it sure does look like you had a beautiful day to explore. Glad you had a great time with your friend.
I saw on the news that they were talking about the ice on the great lakes. Pretty amazing.
Yes, the cost of fabric has gotten expensive. It is good to have some stash.

June said...

When we got the new computer, I lost all my favorite blogs! I'm glad to have found yours today!! Enjoyed the photos of home (Port Huron). I am glad to be in NC this winter though...but it has been bad here, too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...