Sunday, September 15, 2013

News

Trying to catch up here, I'm so behind in blog reading and emails.  I did finish my latest patterns, and will be writing up the patterns and posting them to my craftsy shop in the next day or so - I'll let you know.

Wanna see?

DSC00057    2

DSC00032    2

DSC00036    2

Summer Concert was quilted by hand, this is the back.

DSC00044    2

I understand that we're headed into autumn, but it was summer when I had the idea for this, lol.  I can't wait to get these written up, because....I went to a quilter's garage sale yesterday.  Oh the fabric, I was in heaven, but I was a good girl and didn't spend as much as I could have.  She had bundles of at least 3 yards each for $5.  This is what I got....

DSC00053    2

Can't wait to start designing with these!!

Life has been incredibly busy here lately, not much time for computer, although I've been following the news [ONLINE] for Colorado.  Please pray for Colorado.

 I've also been following the 2 Million Bikers to D.C. ride.  Haven't heard of it?  I'm not surprised.  There was no national coverage, and no coverage by the media here in Detroit.

1.2 million bikers showed up on 9-11 in D.C., to protest the "Million Muslim March" and to honor those who lost their lives 12 years ago in the terrorist attack on our country.  In ONE MONTH, these bikers organized and rode.  The line of bikers just coming out of  Los Angeles was 55 miles long.  They were denied a permit by D.C., but didn't need one - they wanted to help the city avoid long traffic delays.  They got one at the last minute.

What I find so incredible, other than the rampant patriotism of these folks, is that the D.C. traffic cams showed no traffic all day.  In a snapshot of the cameras, you can see SNOW on the roads.  The cams were looping old footage.  So on 9-11, if you looked at a traffic cam to see how your trip would go, you'd think you would have had clear sailing, when in fact traffic was snarled for hours.  Oh, and you might have wondered how it could have snowed in 90 degree heat.

Some of the bikers are still trying to get home, the Oregon riders should be home today, but the Alaskan riders have quite a ways to go.  They'd appreciate your prayers.  I'm hoping to get a bike myself - Harley is my new obsession - and join them for next year's ride.

Want to see a small glimpse of what it was like?  Here's a great video.  Some words at first, then you see from the perspective of one rider's helmet cam.



Normally, my blog is all about quilting, nothing political.  But 9-11 happened to ALL of us, and for these riders to gather together like this in honor of the victims is simply wonderful to me.  Please pray for those bikers still trying to get home, through the rain and flooding in Colorado.

I'll see you soon - I'm off to get ready for church - didn't make the morning service, I had to work very late last night.  Hugs and kisses!!!

11 comments:

Carrie P. said...

Oh, Allie, your little quilt is so sweet. Your work is perfection.

Fiona said...

Lovely to see yoiu have got some pretty sewing done.... and great bargains for your fabric....9/11 has had an effect over here too ...
Hugz

Terry said...

I love your little quilt! It came out great! :0)

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful quilts and I saw that on the news and glad they were able to make it and enjoyed seeing the video.

Debbie

Sandra :) said...

Concert in the park is totally adorable! And now I'm singing that hymn again, lol!

Vicki said...

I love that little bird singing his heart out. What a happy design. So pleased to see you getting back into designing. Vicki vickilorraine at hotmail dot com

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Love that song! Your stitching is excellent and love the birdie!!

West Michigan Quilter said...

Love your little stitchery and your little quilt. So cute! I didn't know about the bikers. Thanks for sharing.

Amy Barta said...

So good to see you back. =)

Sue said...

Allie, it's so good to hear from you! I love, love, love that song. We went to a Third Day concert and when they got to that line, the tears started flowing.

We were quite unhappy with the whole motorcycle/muslim march debacle and I'm glad to hear that the motorcyclists made it through DC, able to show their support and remembrance of 9-11.

desertskyquilts said...

Allie, I can't believe I never heard one thing about this bike "march"! That's horrible! It should have gotten at least equal time with the other march! The concert quilt is wonderful, but I LOVE the stitchery. That's one of my favorites, and the tune started in my head as I read the words. I grew up on tent meetings and revivals, and heard it a lot!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...