Tuesday, September 4, 2012

I Heart New York [Very Long Post]

Oh. My.  I really do.  I can't wait to go back.  We didn't see a third of the things we wanted to.  I do have trouble walking, and walking is a must....mum was struggling too.  But OH.  MY.  What a city!

043    2
Outside the Port Authority Bus Terminal

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in Secaucus, New Jersey.  Took us 12 hours to get there from Detroit [lots of potty stops for mum].  Very nice hotel, the staff was awesome, clean and comfortable rooms.  The bus to NY picked us up right across the street from the hotel, and the bus stop had a vending machine to buy tickets.  We went through the Lincoln Tunnel into the city, and were dropped off at the Port Authority Terminal, where you can also pick up the subway.

 ralph kramden statue port authority
jackie gleason
Jackie Gleason as Ralph Kramden, outside Port Authority

We were a little overwhelmed at that point, but my niece met us there and took charge of us poor tourists.  Our first stop was City Quilter!

045    2
046    2
Inside City Quilter

What a lovely store, and really nice folks there.  Everywhere we went in New York, the people were so nice - and we felt totally safe the entire time.  New York felt more like a large village to me than anything else.  I did make a purchase at City Quilter, I'll show you another time.

empire state building
Empire State Building

Our next stop was Times Square.  We walked there.  And walked.  And walked some more.  The closer we got, the more congested it got, and by the time we got to the M&M Store it was hard to move.  Inside the store was insane.

heading towards times square
075    2
hard rock cafe
m n m store

The only thing I got at the M&M Store was a lovely padded pair of M&M slippers.  John got a pound of M&M's, cost him $15!  Walls and walls of candy.  This was the only part of the city I didn't enjoy - far too crowded.  We did see the Naked Cowboy [plays guitar in his underwear] and the Candy Man [dressed only in candy necklaces - had a skirt made of them].

We all got hot dogs from a street vendor, oh yum.  Then headed back to the hotel to sleep - we had been up since 1:30am, on the road since 3am.  The next morning, we got back on the bus, and took the subway all the way down to the World Trade Center Memorial.

mom on subway
Mum on the subway

We had made reservations the night before to go inside, but got there late and our tickets had expired.  So we just walked around and enjoyed looking at the buildings, and slowly made our way toward Battery Park and the Staten Island Ferry.

wtc2
wtc

We walked by Trinity Church, and stayed for about an hour.  It was lovely.  Very close to the WTC.

trinity church2
trinity church
trinity church8

Alexander Hamilton is buried in the churchyard, along with several other notables.  The interior is stunning.

I don't know what this building was, but I loved it.

219    2

battery park near staten island ferry
At Battery Park near the Staten Island Ferry

We finally arrived at the Staten Island Ferry.

staten island ferry 2
food kiosk staten island ferry
Interesting food kiosk outside the terminal.

The ferry holds a massive amount of people.  Here's John, Sam and mum on the ferry, and the Statue of Liberty from the ferry - with zoom.

on the ferry
statue of liberty from ferry

After the ferry ride [free], we headed back to the subway right outside the terminal and rode it all the way back up to Central Park, where we met my niece and her girlfriend again.  I met two of the nicest gentlemen from England on the subway - we chatted like best friends for the entire ride.  They had flown in from London, it only took them 7 hours - it had taken us 12 to drive from Detroit!  They were at their first stop on a cross-country journey, heading toward San Diego, I believe.

central park
near central park

We didn't get far.  It's very hilly in there, and mum was struggling, so we left and headed slowly back to the Port Authority.  Some interesting sights along the way...

289    2
lincoln center
Lincoln Center
metropolitan opera
Metropolitan Opera - they were having a free concert, but we couldn't stay
fountain at metopera

I could have walked for days, looking at the architecture of New York.  I love the contrast between the very old and the very new, side by side, existing in such harmony.

222    2
rooftop garden
299    2
294    2
293    2

And I could do a whole picture post of doors.  Love the doors.

And that was it.  We went back to the hotel, and next morning bright and early, we headed home.  Through the Appalachians, Allegheny and Pocono mountains, I think.  They were big, whatever they were.

pennsylvania
No idea how high up we were - we were in the clouds.

My poor Toyota Rav4 didn't like the mountains.  There was one steep hill coming out of New Jersey, it was 5 miles long and it was so hard to maintain my speed!  On the way home, I had to put the a/c on to keep the car from overheating, but we made it.  Turns out my heater core might have gone bad, so thank you Lord for getting us safely home.

Whew.  I want to go back.  I want to take a year and thoroughly explore the city.  So much we didn't get to see!  But so much we did, lol!  Now, I need to get out of vacation mode, and try to catch up on blogging and emails, if that's even possible.  And I suppose I should unpack sometime today.....I guess I'll go get more coffee.  See you soon....










38 comments:

Mama Spark said...

We stay is Secacus too when we go, which will be again this fall. Looks like you guys had a great trip! I am excited to go back, always something new and different to see and do there. Next time you need to make it to the Purl in Soho too.

KaHolly said...

Looks fascinating, but cities aren't for me!

Sandra :) said...

Welcome home - maybe D and I will try to go down for a weekend next year (spring?) and we can meet you! I wanted to go before - but now I really REALLY want to go, lol!

Cheryl said...

Great post Allie and wonderful pictures. Sounds like you had such a wonderful time..I'm so glad. I love New York too...put it back on my bucket list to do again!!

mindingmomma said...

Sounds like a fun time, your photos are stunning.

Carrie P. said...

thanks for sharing your trip with us. I love all the door pictures too.
It is always fun to see an old church in the midst of sky scrapers.
glad you had a good time and made it home safe.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Oh Allie, I am so glad you got to the Quilt shop! That would have been my first stop too :-) I haven't been to NYC in years and would love to go back again. I'm sure there are lots of changes, but things that are the same. My son wanted us to go on this last trip, but I nixxed it for DC instead. I told him we would need more time in NYC, as there would be places I would want to explore, places to see, and walk. Glad you were able to squeeze so much in. Thanks for the tour.

WoolenSails said...

It sounds like your trip was wonderful and you went to so many wonderful places. I am glad you and your family had fun and a safe trip.

Debbie

Rachaeldaisy said...

Thanks for a tour of a wonderful city! You really managed to see a lot of things, and you've left some for your next trip.

grammajudyb said...

You took some awesome photos. I have only been to NYC once, when I was a senior in HS and with a youth group from my church. Nearly 50 years ago, sooo lots of changes. We should think about going again. Your pictures sure whetted (?real word?) my appetite.

paulette said...

Wow!! Thanks for taking me along!! Loved it ALL!
P

unfinishedquilts said...

Welcome Home!!!

Melody said...

Wow it looks wonderful

West Michigan Quilter said...

Looks like you had a wonderful trip. I enjoyed seeing all the pictures. Next best thing to being there. I recognized some of the places from years ago when I was there. Your pictures made me want to go again. Thanks for sharing!

Fiona said...

I loved the virtual tour with you... how fantastic to have had that experience and you took some lovely pictures....
Hugz

Fiona said...

how come we didn't get a picture of the naked candy man???????
Hugz

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Thanks for the mini tour of NY. I've never been. It looks nothing like I imagined.

shez said...

wow Allie thankyou so much for sharing this with us and so glad you all had a great time,lovely pics.xx

sunny said...

Oh, I'm so glad you loved it! And you even took the ferry. I'm ready to go back again - it's been almost a year since our last trip. Glad you made it home safely.

Terry said...

I'm so glad you had a good time! It all looks so wonderful! I love the giant button with the needle through it! :0)

Mama Pea said...

What a great time! Looks like so much fun! I'm so jealous! The quilt store looks amazing. So glad you got there! And the M&M store. I'd totally go in there! I love all the architecture and doors. Coo.. I wanna go!

Michelle May said...

Looks like somebunny had a most wonderful time indeed! Where's some photos of your smiling face? Hmmmm....? :) :) :)
xx

Brenda said...

Lovely pictures Allie, thanks for sharing with all of us! I have never been and each time I see pictures another blogger shares it makes me want to go.

Debbie said...

Love this long post, Allie! Great photos! Wish I were with you guys, walking in some of my favorite places. Glad you got to City Quilter in time! It's almost a year since I walked the same streets as you with my son down in the WTC/Wall St. area. Did you see the famous Bull sculpture?

But, tell me something. Do you not trust anyone else to use your camera, LOL? Where are you?

Soggibottom said...

WOW.. all those buildings :-)
HOPE YOU SENT ME A POSTCARD :-) ;-)
Good to see you all had a good time my friend.. LOVE TO MUM and you know, I think it was you,not mum who really needed to stop :-) :-) I WOULD HAVE WANTED TO TOO..
LOTS OF LOVE XXXXXXXXXX
HI BOYS.. thanks for showing your ma a good time.. XXXXXXXX cos she shared xxxxxxxxxxxx

Michelle Ridgway said...

Fantastic post Allie and I enjoyed coming along for the ride... you sure fitted a lot in. Not seeing everything you wanted to gives you a great reason to go back.

Fleurette said...

NY looks like a great place to visit, the buildings are amazing.Love your photos Allie. Glad you all had a wonderful time!

Cheryll said...

I loved NY too. What an exciting city! :)

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Oh Allie you all had a ball...fantastic photos....

Mickie said...

Great photos! So glad you enjoyed NYC! Now get some rest :) Hugs, Mickie

Joanne Lendaro said...

Great pictures!! Glad you had a good time, and yes the walking will kill ya!! lol!! The bad thing about New York - you will never have enough time no matter how long you have, there is always something else to see or do!! hugs!

Wendy said...

oh how wonderful. I was jealous just reading this post ;0) I've been to NY three times now, for nearly a week each time and I still haven't seen half of it. You definitely need to go back!

I can't believe the naked cowboy is still there! I last went in 2007 for my 30th birthday and he was thre. I've just realised I'm going to be 35 this year, when did that happen? Why did noone tell me??

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Woo hoo! I am getting so excited for our trip! I added City Quilts to the list of stops. =)

Talin's Corner said...

Wow, you did and saw a lot!

ladybelle1234 said...

Great Pictures!! I've never been to NY but you definitely got me to thinking.

Teresa said...

Wow what a great post. Being an Aussie girl I just love seeing photos of far away places!!! NY is like a mythical place to me and I just loved your photos. It's just like I imagined it to be. Can't wait to see what you bought at the City Quilter. Glad you got to experience this trip (and make it home safely).

Loralynn said...

What a great post! I've never been to New York and it looks wonderful as seen through your camera. Thanks for the tour!

Marilyn said...

Looks a fascinating place with so much to see. I dont know if I will ever get there, but if I do, I am sure I will enjoy it as much as you have.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...