Thursday, September 6, 2012

Catching Up

Well, I think I'm all caught up with emails and blogs - it's not been easy.  Not only because I was out of town, but because every day I have to take mum to physical therapy and.  I say physical therapy 'and' because it's never just physical therapy.  I never know where I'll end up!

I was going to show you what I got in New York.  Not much....but I did get some gorgeous New York fabric from the City Quilter.  And huge bonus, if you can't make it to the store, you can order online!!!  They have their own line of NY fabric!

These are the fat quarters I got....subway fabric,

002    2

newsprint,

005    2

and these fabulous artsy-fartsy prints.

001     2
003    2

Someone asked what I was going to make with them, and I said MAKE???  I'm going to put them on a shelf and pet them now and then.  That's it.

I also got these slippers at the Insane Asylum M&M store.

002    2

I spotted them, and by that time, my feet were so sore even walls of candy couldn't tempt me - but memory foam slippers?  Couldn't get them fast enough.

A few of you asked if I was in any of the pictures.  Well, yes.  Yes I was.  We're fortunate the camera survived.  Did you ever think you looked one way, then saw a picture of yourself, and almost had to ask "who's THAT?"  Ew.  Well, that's me.  This is why I didn't show any pics of me....

090    2

That's my back, in the red shirt.  I had my hair in one of those bun clips, and thought it looked just fine.  *snort*  I look like I have an alien attacking my hair.  It looks messy and wiry and just plain old.  Trust me, the front is worse.  So. Much. Worse.

So today, I cut 6 inches off my hair, got out my trusty flat iron and went to town.  I'll get a pic one of these days.  MUCH better.

But that's not all.  In the pictures, I realized I'm growing wings.  You know, that excess that some women get on their upper arms....didn't know I shouldn't be wearing sleeveless shirts, but I do now!  Heaven help me I'm getting old.  I also broke out the dumbbells today.  Don't know if it will help but it sure can't hurt, right?  Listen girls, if you're under 40, get busy.  Start working out.  Don't make me show you my arms.  I'll be 54 next year and most of the time, I don't know it - I still think of myself as young and thin, until I see the proof.  The older you get, the more your mind plays tricks on you!

I'm staying home tomorrow, I don't know how to act - such a rare occurrence anymore!  I think there might be some sewing going to happen, whoopee!  Have a great Friday, everyone, hope you get to sew too!

31 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Took me a minute to realize it was fabric.....love the M&M shoes.

Melody said...

Fabulous fabrics.

WoolenSails said...

I like the newsprint, that would be fun to work with.

Debbie

B J Elder said...

I love the fabrics you brought home to pet. They are wonderful! And those slippers.... ooooh, they look so comfy. May have to check them out. Isn't it amazing the person in the mirror isn't what we feel we look like? I'll just go with how I feel, it's much less depressing. LOL (I have a few years on you so I can say that).

Sue said...

You crack me up Allie, wings and wiry hair and all!
I have a little piece of New York subway fabric along with a few other NY fabrics...yes in downtown rural Western Australia, i'm just petting mine too.

Sandra :) said...

Well - having met you in person I can say with certainty that you're lovely. And your running shoes are hysterical! BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE! :D I say we let our minds play tricks on us - some things are better left unknown, LOL! Dang - I wear my hair in a clip every single day (instead of getting it cut, oops!) - I should check out the back view --- but really - I don't want to know, because then I might have to do something about it, LOL!

Joanne Lendaro said...

hahahaha!! love the last paragraph!! I can sooooo relate! LOL - on not cutting just petting the fq's - I get it!! and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the slippers!! We're at that age you know.....hugs!!

Larissa said...

Loving those fabrics ... and the M&M slippers! Oh to add them to my wardrobe, lol!! ... Also, I recognise that hair clamp - tis in my hair atm LOL!!! I always have it in my hair, especially during the buildup/wet seasons which we are slowly entering now :) Hair as long as mine (b/w waist & bum) needs to be up in the heat & humidity of Darwin!!! One of these days I'll feel the need to get it chopped off ... but that'll be a long time coming :) ... Looking forward to seeing your new *updated* look :) Best wishes with your mum's physical therapy! Will keep her in my prayers :) xx

sunny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sunny said...

I MUST have subway fabric and M&M slippers! I didn't even know they existed, and now my life isn't complete without them. I'll lsend you a picture of me in my scraggly pony tail, and you'll realize how beautiful you are!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

I LOVE THE FABRIC!! What a special memory of your trip. One of these days you WILL make something. Just let us know when you are ready :-) Allie, one thing I have learned as I have gotten older, it's better to not look in mirrors. Let your mind play tricks. I always say - We're all the same age INSIDE!"

Terra said...

That is cute how you said you are going to keep the fabric and pet it once in a while; all the fabrics are gorgeous.
I do work out a bit, on a stationery bike and in a pool. Its good to do.

unfinishedquilts said...

Love the fabric!!!
When Julian went to New York he brought me back some fat quarters. Have kept them separate and like you pet them once in a while. One of these days when I collect fabric from the places I have been (imagine I never thought of it while I was there! In my defense when I was in Kansas Kodey was deploying and I spent most of my time crying). My sister got gorgeous fabric from Maine when my nephew was in the Senior Little League World Series (2 colors and she said they didn't have fq's, so she got a yard of each, can't wait to play with it!). Someday I will make a 'life memories' quilt. Someday.
Enjoy your day tomorrow, hope you get to do some sewing :)

Debbie said...

Love your back, Allie, LOL! Looking forward to seeing the front. I bought some of that subway fabric last time I was there. The routes change so often, that it's not up to date anymore. I'm going to check out the M&M store next time! Have a good weekend.

shez said...

love rthat fabric and of course your cute slippers,have a good weekend Allie.xx

Lindah said...

Ms. Oops, you crack me up. Break out those MnM slippers and enjoy your day off!

Sharon said...

love those fabrics, City Quilter is a great shop! Yes, the years do play tricks on us, I gave up sleeveless a few years ago, and the hair, I think mine looks great until I see a photo, then off to the salon!

Fiona said...

Sensational fabrics... what better momentos could you find.... I had to laugh... I have my hair up in one of those bun clips most days, wear sleeveless and have wings... and I will be 54 next year too!!! are we twins or what????
Hugz

Val Spiers said...

Great NY fabrics. I know what you mean about the body getting old and the mind denying it.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

A-MAZ-ing fabrics!!
And love the slippers...way too cute. ;-)
LOve
Jen
xxxx

Rachaeldaisy said...

Love those NY fabrics!! Yep, I think I'm growing wings..

Terry said...

I LOVE those slippers! And the newsprint fabric is wonderful! :0)

West Michigan Quilter said...

I took me a minute too to realize that first picture was fabric! Fantastic. I love all the fabrics you got and, like you, would just pet them for a while. LOL Looking forward to seeing your new hairdo!

Michelle May said...

Allie you are just too funny! Love your fabrics, but the alien attacking the back of your head made me LOL! Looking forward to seeing photos of you with a new hairdo.
xx

Wendy said...

Love that NYC fabric! I think your hair looks amazing,that's very much the trend over here in England, so you can tell people that.

Mama Pea said...

You are so funny. I am 47, and I feel the same way about my arms, hair, body. Getting old is a b****! Sigh.

I LOVE your fabrics! They are awesome! How cool to find such special fabrics.

And you know I covet your slippers. Big time.

mindingmomma said...

love the fabrics!

Cheryl said...

Love that New York fabric and those comfy M & M slippers. LOL...whenever I see me in pictures I always wonder who that old person is...opps, it's me!! In my head I'm still 20 something :-)!! Oh well !

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

You make me laugh!! I know exactly what you are talking about! I see myself in a picture and scream with fright! I really never thought I would get old, but I did...Seriously, I am really only 30, I just look 51. *snort*

When I Googled the store I saw those prints. I am so glad I can order them online, just in case we don't get to the store. I really like the subway print. =)

Linda said...

What beautiful fabrics you got! I know all about putting those special fabrics on a shelf to just look at! I keep saving them for something "special".
I also know all about seeing my reflection and thinking it is someone else! I am sometimes so surprised when some "old person" tells me their age and they turn out to be a few years younger than I am! Too bad our self image doesn't age along with us!

Tanya said...

I had to laugh at your description of yourself. I too am having to remind myself not to wear sleeveless shirts... I had hoped that swimming would be a cure but so far I don't see anything.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...