Saturday, September 29, 2012

American Sewing Expo

That's where Cathy and I went today, and wow was it small.  We'd been through everything by 10am, and we got there at 9am.  We had arranged to meet Mary-Kay and her friend for lunch, thank goodness we ran into them and decided to eat early.  Not at 10am though, lol...Cathy and I were on our second go-round when we ran into them.

DSCN0003    2

Mary-Kay's friend [how embarrassing, I've lost her name already] - Mary-Kay, and me.  Grey bangs shining like a beacon.

We chatted with this lovely lady while we waited for the show to open.

DSCN0001    2

She's the founder of The Sewing Machine Project, they collect and distribute sewing machines to women around the world.  They've donated 750 to just New Orleans.  AMAZING story  - check her out, and if you have a sewing machine collecting dust, consider donating!  She also had some gorgeous messenger-style bags made out of sails, and decorated by artists, and the sale helps them raise funds.  Sewing machines are expensive to ship!  You can check those out too, here at Sea Hope Partners.

All I bought were my usual leather dot thimbles, I was almost out.  I get some every year.  Cathy did a little better. *G*  Afterward, we stopped at Joann Fabrics, and I got all the floss I'll need for the stitch-along at Homespun that I'm doing with Wendy.   And when I got home, I got the first block traced!  I'll fuse the interfacing to the back tomorrow, then start stitching the first block, yay!

I hope you're having a great weekend too!


18 comments:

sunny said...

Well it looks like you had a good day, even if the show wasn't what you expected. I had planned to look for a copy of Homespun today, and I totally forgot until just now. Darn.... Have fun stitching!!

shez said...

what a lovely day out Allie,i am glad you enjoyed yourself.xx

WoolenSails said...

It is nice that you got to meet up with friends, always fun to get out with others who love to quilt as much as we do.

Debbie

ladybelle1234 said...

I wish I had a sewing machine to donate to the sewing project. That's a good cause. My old machine was used up, I think, can't be fixed.

Sue said...

I didn't go this year. I wonder why the show was so small. Last year it seemed to be of good size. Do you know the reason for this?

West Michigan Quilter said...

Looks like it was a fun day. Glad you got out and enjoyed yourself.

Darlene said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day with friends and treats. :-)

Carrie P. said...

how disappointing for you guys. at least you had good company.

Sandra :) said...

It sounds like you had a great (but quick!) time, and in the town of my favourite Joanns store of ALL time - the 2 floorer, LOL!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Oh Girl...I so wish I had known...number one that you were there and number two that I would be going! Shucks big time! I'd be one with grey bangs too...but I still cover mine with dye....LOL.

Hugs,
Kelly

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

So pleased you had a good time Allie...

Fiona said...

A day out is fun... happy stitching... they are lovely stitcheries...
Hugz

Sue said...

What a shame the show was small, not good for the organisers, the stallholders or the customers. Glad you had some fun with your friends tho'.

Joanne Lendaro said...

YOu look fabulous darling....don't dare give a thought to the gray!

Patty@Granma's said...

It's always good to get out and see what the rest of the world is up to! Last show I attended was so small I only bought 1 (as in ONE) pattern. Shocking! Perhaps the economy is keeping vendors away??

Sue from Cyprus said...

So glad you had a lovely day Allie! And as for your gray bangs..... I love them!
Hugs, Sue from Cyprus x x x

Mama Pea said...

That's a bummer, but it looks like you made the most of it.

And if my gray hair looked as good as yours, I wouldn't color it. Mine is so mousey!

Margaret Jankowski said...

Hey thanks for the sweet comments! It was great to meet you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...