Sunday, September 30, 2012

A Whole Day At Home....

yay for me.  Last night I traced the first stitchery for the Homespun stitch-along, and today I fused down the interfacing behind it.  I use Frixion pens to trace with, they disappear when you add heat - and there's always a heart-stopping moment when all of your hard work disappears in front of your eyes!

DSCN0008    2

But then, you put it in a baggie and stick it in the freezer, and it comes right back.  Which reminds me - I have to get my stitching out of the freezer.

While I was chilling my stitchery, I decided to finally do something about my latest freebie.  I've taken to using pinking shears on the edges of all my stitcheries, it keeps them from fraying - I know, I'm late to that party, but I finally got there.

DSCN0007    2

I took my strips that I had cut [1.5 inches], started stitching them together, and adding them to my little design.

DSCN0010    2

Just kind of going around with them, similar to a log cabin.  Random piecing.

DSCN0011    2

Stitch, then trim even with the end.

DSCN0012    2
DSCN0014    2

All the way around.

DSCN0019    2

Very random, not much thought involved, the perfect Sunday-at-home project.  I added little bits in as I went.  Gee, I kind of like it just like that, should I stop?  Um, no, having too much fun.

By the way - I'm a seam open kind of gal, I always press them open except for the ones right along the edge of my stitchery.  It's hard to get a nice press with the interfacing on the back, so I press that one toward the outside.  See?

DSCN0021    2

I kept adding rounds until I really liked what I saw, and decided to stop.

DSCN0023    2

And hooray for stash, I found some variegated autumn colored quilting thread.

DSCN0027    2

Simple wavy quilting, and the BEST knife-edge binding tutorial I've ever seen, thanks to Victoria at The Silly BooDilly....and my little quilt is done!

DSCN0030    2

And the sun is still up!  I don't know how to act, having a finish when it's still daylight!  I hope you had a great Sunday too!!!




27 comments:

Fiona said...

woohoo... what a productive day.... I use the frixion pens a lot too.. (and I'm even later than you - never thought of pinking the sides...duhhhh)
Hugz

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Your block is very sweet. I love your stitching.

Carrie P. said...

Look at you sewing away and making such a lovely fall project. Well done!

WoolenSails said...

I love how you did your stitchery, between the background fabric and the border it really has a nice fall hue to it.

Debbie

Brenda said...

Love how your finished stitchery turned out. I have been home for two days straight, stitching, basting some hexie's and cutting out some aprons. Seems as though something should have been completed, but no. I have not thought to pink my edges before stitching either. Hummmm.

Terry said...

It looks wonderful Allie! I used to always press my seams open, but I rarely do anymore. I do like now the seams are flatter with them pressed open though. Maybe I should go back to my old ways! LOL

MB in MI said...

Lovely Allie!

ladybelle1234 said...

Wow! The finished product looks wonderful!.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

LOVE, love, love, your little quilt, Allie-girl!!
Hugs
Jen
xxx

sunny said...

Your stitchery turned out fantastic! Great finish.

Darlene said...

A whole day at home with lots of play time - woohoo! Delightful project, Allie.

unfinishedquilts said...

Oh I love it!
Thinking of trying some hand stitching, but that is as far as I have gotten.lol
The colors are gorgeous in this!
Glad you found some time :)

shez said...

and what a gorgeous finish it is also Allie and enjoy your homespun stitchery.xx

Sandra :) said...

It's gorgeous, Allie! I love the Frixion pens too - I used mine just yesterday for marking quilting lines on some bags. It was "organic" quilting so I just marked the start and stop spots :) I have pinking shears downstairs but never thought to use them for fray-stopping purposes - brilliant! I need to get them sharpened first, I think. What's the reason for putting stitcheries in the freezer? Were they ... naughty? LOL!!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Looks fantastic Allie....

Michelle Ridgway said...

Lovely fall project. Looks like you are all set for your new project.

VivJM said...

A whole day at home - lovely!
I love this stitchery, the random strips are awesome. Very autumnal. Gorgeous.

Wendy said...

WHAT! it comes back when you freeze it??? But I've been using my Frixon for everything - does that mean by January all my stitching and cutting lines will be back????

I love what you did with your stitchery, it looks beautiful

Fleurette said...

I love your little Autumn quilt Allie, - beautiful!!

West Michigan Quilter said...

Your stitchery is adorable. Love ho you did the quilting. Great job!

Verna G said...

I have never put fusible interfacing behind my embroidery. Doesn't that make it difficulto embroider through? Maybe i'm missing something here!

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Love the stitching and the sewing....great job. I'll have to check out that tutorial too.

Smiles,
Kelly

Mama Pea said...

I really love this. I think the stitchery is so cute itself, but the fabrics you put around it and the amount of fabric around it is great. and the knife edge, perfect.

Okay, I'm doing that stitchery project right now, and I am frustrated by fraying edges. I was going to zig zag them, but yes! I'll pink them! I'm right behind you at the door to the party!

And I like to trace with the Frixion pens, too, but I always worry about the heat setting and how I'll deal with it disappearing. Duh. Use the "weakness" everyone claims in the pens to your advantage! Put it in the freezer! Brilliant!

mindingmomma said...

it's lovely

Debbie said...

Your setting for your embroidery design is just wonderful, Allie! The fabrics, the colors, everything. Came out great!

Linda in Calif. said...

This is really lovely. I love the colors and the randomness. Really makes that cute stitchery stand out.

Mary said...

This stitchery project is beautiful Allie, but I have to say that the fabrics you used to frame it complete the picture perfectly!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...