Friday, August 17, 2012

Half-Square Triangles, My Way

Not that I made this up - I saw it online somewhere and it looked easy.  No bias edges to sew.  Wendy had asked me to show how I do them, so this is especially for her.

First, I cut 5 inch squares.  I wanted my contrast fabric to be white.

DSC06518    2

Then I take one white square and one colored square and lay them right sides together.

DSC06520    2

Using my 1/4" foot, I stitch around all sides, leaving no opening -

DSC06522    2

Not sure if you can see it really well, but all four sides have a seam.

DSC06524    2

Then it's over to the cutting table.  Using my ruler and rotary cutter, I cut on the diagonal, from corner to corner.

DSC06528    2

Without moving the fabric, I then cut on the diagonal from the other corner.

DSC06530    2

And end up with four little triangles.

DSC06531    2

I finger-press them open,

DSC06532    2

And trim off the little corners that stick out with scissors.

DSC06534    2

Making 5 inch squares, I end up with 3 inch half-square triangles.  Although I think they should be called half-triangle squares.  But that may be due to brain fog.  *G*

If you want bigger hst's,  all you have to do is make bigger squares at the start.  Don't ask me to do the math.  As for putting them together, if you google hst quilts, you'll find hundreds of different patterns.    I like this method best of all I've tried.

And now I'm off to finish writing a pattern before another busy weekend - I hope you all have a great one!

EDIT:  Robin sent me a great link for figuring out what size squares to start with - thanks Robin!  Link is HERE.

Also, I don't notice much stretch with this method - it works fine for me!

34 comments:

Rachaeldaisy said...

Thanks for the great tutorial! I've seen this method before and think it looks great but doesn't it mean all the edges of the finished square has bias edges?

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

I saw this online too. I think it was on the Missouri Quilt youtube. Looks like a great way to geterdone!

ladybelle1234 said...

That's a great tip. I've never tried it. Thanks

WoolenSails said...

I used that method for one of mine and loved doing it this way, so much easier and faster.

Debbie

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

I had the same question as Rachaeldaisy... Doesn't this make the squares with all bias edges? Looks really quick though!

Linda in Calif. said...

Thanks for showing us. It sure looks "right smart".

Karen said...

Looks easy enough but then you have bias edges to deal with. Does it create a problem for you?

Mickie said...

Loved your tutorial, I've always done it the old way but love this method and am going to try it!!!
Thanks Allie!
Hugs, Mickie

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Thanks Allie...always good to have new tips...

West Michigan Quilter said...

Great tutorial. I'll have to remember that one...if I ever do piecing again. LOL
Looking forward to the new pattern!

Sandra :) said...

I've used that technique before - it works great :) We call those little fabric tags you trim off, the "ears" :D

Have a great weekend (I hope you're feeling better!) - we haven't gotten anything planned because hubby is working tomorrow, but I'm planning on getting some sewing done while he's out --- that's probably about as exciting as it'll get around here, lol!

MB in MI said...

Thanks, Allie! What a great, fast way to do this! :-)

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Same way I do them. The bias doesn't bother me. I'm just careful-ish when I handle them.

Val said...

Just thought I would pop in and say hello! Been a while. I read where you aren't feeling great. Hope you are doing better. We are all moved and settled and now we found a house!!! So moving again after some remodeling. We won't move until it is ready. It will probably be several months!!! Catching up on your blog!!!

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Here is the link that gives the different starting square sizes and finished HST size.

http://blog.missouriquiltco.com/update-on-the-easy-pinwheels/

sunny said...

I'll have to give this a try! Thanks for sharing.

Cheryl said...

I will definitely be trying this!!! Great tutorial Allie.

shez said...

Allie thankyou for sharing this idea,its fantastic,thankyou.xx

Mary-Kay said...

I made a baby quilt using that method. Nice and fast and as you said, not too much stretch.

Jeanette said...

Thanks for sharing Allie. Fabulous idea. Hugs,

Sharon said...

Very clever!

Good luck writing your pattern. Hope your brain fog and the thrush are better now.

Wishing you a good weekend too!

Jenny of Elefantz said...

LOVE your tutorial!!! So easy...thank you, hon!! :-)
Hugs
Jenny
xxxx

Terry said...

I love making HSTs that way! It's so much easier! :0)

donna said...

Allie that is genius. What a GREAT method. Thank you so much for sharing.
Hugs
donna

Liz said...

Great idea. Thanks for sharing. I always seem to get them all stretched out of whack. This method looks much better.

Liz said...

Great idea. Thanks for sharing. I always seem to get them all stretched out of whack. This method looks much better.

Wendy said...

Thank you Allie my love, thanks for doing that for me! I see other people are happy about it too. What a great way of doing it, I can see it now, I couldn't visualise it before so thank you!

Fleurette said...

That is so clever! Lovely tutorial Allie, thank you.

Brenda said...

Thanks Allie! Pinned it so I would not forget it!

Talin's Corner said...

I would be so nervous with all those bias edges on the outside. Do you ever have any problems? I am going to give this a try. I usually draw a diagonal line and then sew on both sides of the drawn line to make 2 triangles from the square. Your way seems a lot faster. Thanks for the tutorial.

Mama Pea said...

I have tried something similar with some success. I had a little trouble with all the bias edges, though. Do you?

Joanne Lendaro said...

Fun, fun, fun!! That is sooooo cool!! Can't wait to tell everyone that I know!!

Carrie P. said...

hey, that is really neat. going to check out the link. thanks for sharing.

Fiona said...

I love that way too Allie...
Hugz

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...