Sunday, April 15, 2012

Bling Your Thing Challenge

Recently, Kelly at I Have A Notion had a bling your thing challenge - and it sounded so fun I jumped at it!  The deadline was all set for today, but she's extended it - if you'd like to get your bling on and send her your pic before Thursday, go read her blog and join in...you could win a copy of Creative Quilting With Beads!

I finished my project, and boy did I have fun.  I pulled out the hot-fix crystal applicator that I'd bought several years ago, and found the courage to open the package.  I'd never tried it.  It's addicting!  I made a little wallhanging, and yes, it's supposed to be crooked.

DSC05467    2

Do you remember when I made this Sis Boom quilt?

DSC02907    1

The flowers on this little quilt are made from the leftover pieces that I cut out from the big quilt.  I had been saving those pieces since I finished, just KNOWING I wanted to make them into flowers.  I had actually drawn up this design awhile back, and was so glad to put it to use!  All of these fabrics are by Jennifer Paganelli.

DSC05440    2

I stem stitched inside the flowers, and in the leaves.

DSC05440    2 (2)

I should probably have used darker floss, it doesn't show up well.  Then I backstitched the thingies [that's a technical term] coming up out of the flowers, and put the crystals at the ends and in between.

I had just enough blue crystals to do the vase!

DSC05435   2

I used a knife-edge binding on this [tutorial here], so it doesn't show on the front.  I do love that method.

I liked it so much that I decided to do another one.

DSC05432    2

This one isn't finished yet, and won't be until I get my machine fixed.  I'm doing just one line of straight stitching inside the appliques, no blanket stitch....not sure if this one will be blinged or not.

I must thank Kelly for this challenge - my hot fix crystals are no longer gathering dust, and I had a lot of fun doing this!  Thank you Kelly!

33 comments:

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Your bling quilt is sweet. I like the flower thingies with the crystals. Great job!

Sandra :) said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!! I've become a big fan of bling, thanks to you and to Kelly!

Jan said...

Your bling is just as cute as can be! You did a great job!

Marilyn said...

Yep !!! Love your bling. So pleased you have had the courage to open your bling-thing and use it.

Fiona said...

Oh my golly... two for one and they are both fabulous.... I love them and thanks for the link to the blind edge binding... quite a different finish and so effective.... oh and I can never get enough of seeing that pretty quilt... I'm just off back to reread that post...
Hugz

shez said...

OMG Allie absolutely beautiful,well done on a beautiful finish.xx

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

You are one talented lady Allie....gorgeous...

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Bling, bling, bling! Girl, you are awesome!! I love this!!! Your creativity in a challenge always leaves me in awe, Allie-girl. :-)
Hugs
Jenny
xxx

Val said...

I say this all time but I will say it again! YOU are amazing!

Val said...

I say this all time but I will say it again! YOU are amazing!

Terry said...

Nice bling! :0)

VivJM said...

That's blooming blingtastic girl! You are such a creative lady xx

Quilt Kitty said...

Allie they are both gorgeous, it's hard to pick a favourite from the two. The bling does look great with the stitching on the first. Thanks for the link to the tutorial. What a simple but beautiful finish. Tracee xx

Debbie said...

These are so creative, Allie. You have a winner, for sure!

Michelle said...

I like how you did your bling! lol!

Michelle said...

I like how you did your bling! lol!

West Michigan Quilter said...

what a darling wallhanging. I love it. I'm not usually into bling, but this is fantastic! Great job Allie. Hope you win!

Dandelion Quilts said...

Very pretty, great colors, love the bling!

desertskyquilts said...

Allie, I love your bling quilt! That is such a great reveal of the rest of the story, as they say. I like the colors on the second one, too. Your embroidery is great. Makes me want to try one, too!

dezertsuz at gmail

Carrie P. said...

Allie, what a fabulous design you created. The fabrics you chose make it look vintage. I love it! The blue bling on the vase is perfect. All the little flowers, cute! Well done.
Will there be voting?

Linda said...

It's beautiful! I love using beads in my quilts! You did a great job!

Wendy said...

Allie, this is beautiful!! You are so talented!

I wanted to pin it to Pinterest, I didn't realise you were a non-Pinning blog.

donna said...

I just love your bling. You did an awesome job.
Hugs
donna

Loralynn said...

Your bling is darling!

Cheryl said...

Great job of blinging...love it!!

O'faigh said...

Hello Allie, enjoyed seeing your bling...a lovely dimension to the applique...Hugs O'faigh

Allison Aller said...

What a pretty vase of flowers!
Thanks for swinging by my blog...so nice to follow you to yours!
~~Allie

Brenda said...

Such a pretty block of flowers! Where are you in Michigan. I also live in Michigan. Am now a new follower of yours.

Claudiana (25/11/2010) said...

Bom dia, tudo bem?
Entrei para conhecer seu cantinho. Gostei muito de tudo que vi. Parabéns o blog está lindo. Depois passa lá no meu cantinho também, será um prazer, ótima semana pra vc, bjs
Claudiana
http://encantosempontocruz-barbie.blogspot.com

susan m hinckley said...

Love, love love! Is this your own design, Allie? It's awesome!

Mary said...

What a great little wall hanging (and ingenious use of your sis boom leftovers). Your Mom sounds a lot like mine....she is a clown and so much fun to be around. We are lucky ladies :)

Lauranie said...

Love that BLING!! Great job girl...glad you are doing such fun things!! xo

Mama Pea said...

I like it. :-) I've done a few things with hot fix crystals, and I think the could be very addicting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...