Friday, January 6, 2012

A Fun Week

Hi everyone!  Hope you've all had a good start to the new year, mine has been relaxing and pretty uneventful.  But my postman delivered a few events.

I got a lovely package from Melody, from The House On The Side Of The Hill.  Look at this sweetness.....

DSC05065    2

Beautiful, what?  I don't know if Melody knew it or not, but my word last year was "joy".  This is a lovely reminder.  She says it's a mug rug/coaster, but good heavens, could you set a dripping tea cup on that?  I don't think so.  It's on the wall. And the darling scissors fob is on my curved embroidery scissors.  Thank you Melody!  By the way, Melody is starting a new BOM, called Home Sweet Home, starting January 9th - can't wait!

And remember that jelly roll give-away Jan was doing?  Well, I won!  She emailed me on New Year's Day, what a way to start the new year.

DSC05070    2

How pretty is that!  Dandelion Girl from Fig Tree Quilts.  There will be a summer design to go with that!  Thank you Jan!!!  She's my hero....have you seen how many quilts she makes for Project Linus?  WOW.

Also in the mail, remember the pattern I did for Fresh Hope in Australia?  Well, they sent me a copy for my records...

DSC05076    2

To say I'm thrilled would be an understatement.  They did a gorgeous job, so professional, I'm so pleased.  You can go to their website and look at all the gorgeous patterns they have, from many different designers, and purchase directly from Mary or click on the link to see where else to purchase.  I'm honored to be able to promote their wonderful ministry!

And then, mum wanted to paint me a little something.  She didn't have a picture to work from, or the tiny brushes she needed....but she hoped I would recognize Lucy. And I did.

DSC05073   2

Bless her heart, how I love her!

Now.  Last year, I participated in Kelly's Word Up.  Basically, you pick a word for the year that you hope to have more of in your life - my word last year was joy.  Kelly has just written a wonderful post explaining her own word for this year.  This year, my word is WORK.

Work is not a four-letter word to me.  The bible says work is a blessing, and I agree.  For many years, my family was my work - I homeschooled my boys, took care of our home, cooked all the meals, etc.  But now both my boys have graduated, hubby is not working and discovered he loves to cook, and I find myself with a lot of time on my hands.  I have a lazy streak a mile wide in me, and I don't want to spend the rest of my life being slothful - I have a horror of that, but gravity gets to me and I find myself sitting far too much, doing nothing.  It's time for me to get out of neutral and into drive.  I used to be a real type A person, always moving, always doing something, and I want that back.  But with balance this time....knowing when to stop, knowing when to rest, not pushing myself into not being able to move for a week.

I'm not sure yet what that work will look like, other than designing.  I will need a job, a regular job, where I can support myself.  I don't think designing will do that, although I'm hopeful it will help support my quilting habit!  So I'll keep myself open to opportunity, and pray, and let the Lord lead me.  As Thomas Edison said, "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work".  I don't want to miss it, I'll be keeping my eyes open and seeking it out.

I appreciate Kelly doing this.  Do read her post about what she learned from the word she picked last year.  SO thoughtful and inspiring.  What will your word be this year?

Lastly, I leave you with a very fuzzy pic of a visitor to my front yard early this morning.  The sun was shining in my window, that's the glare...but January, and a robin?

DSC05079    2

It was 54F today, I guess they don't feel the need to fly to Florida anymore!  I hope you all have a lovely weekend, see you next week!

41 comments:

Linda said...

Love all your sweet goodies!! Sounds like you have a little adventure ahead of you! I know you'll find something to do that you love!! :-)

Deb said...

Gosh Allie, work is a difficult word to choose, as it you say its has so many different faces.
I love the gift that you recieved in the mail, the scissor fob is so lovely as is the hexie/coaster but as you say, far too nice to dribble anything on. Happy 2012.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Wow...lots of great goodies! No I would not put anything on that mug rug....grin. I'm always spilling stuff.

sunny said...

What wonderful gifts! Maybae I should have chosen WORK as my word. I chose CONTENTMENT. I read Kelly's post easier, and it really hit close to home for me. I wish I could write the way she does. Good luck with finding good work.

Marilyn said...

What gorgeous goodies you received from Melody. The hexie is amazing, and I couldnt put my drippy coffee mug on it either - much too pretty.
Your Seeds of Hope pattern looks so good. Well done on your design, and on their beautiful presentation of the pattern.
xx

Val said...

The hexie mat is lovely. How nice to have your special word on it. I love you bag design. The packaging looks great. I hope your design venture brings you more than pocket money.

Sue from Cyprus said...

You lucky girl, Allie!! All those goodies! Sorry, I had no idea you published a Fresh Hope pattern. Will go to the website and have a nose around! Wow, work is your word for this year. That's a really hard one Allie especially at these difficult times. Praying that that word will flourish this year for you.
Hugs, Sue from Cyprus x x x

Joy said...

Huge congrats to you sweet Allie, your bag design looks simply fabulous in print!!! Yay for you!! And what a wonderful thing you did for Fresh Hope. Bless your heart :o).
Good luck with your quest for employment ... I hope you find something that you'll enjoy :o).
Love n hugs,
Joy :o)

shez said...

Allie such a beautiful post,and how clever is that mum of yours,Lucille is fantastic.

Cathy said...

Lucky you. Such wonderful gifts and wins. I haven't seen a robin in a while. But while at the park yesterday I did have a pair of Swans fly over my head. Too bad this warm weather won't last. Hugs

Sheila said...

Lovely post ,wonderful gifts and your word for the year is one most people avoid , good luck with your venture whatever that maybe. hugs Sheila

elizabeth said...

Lovely gifts! In Oklahoma we usually see thebrobinsvreturn in the middle of January, but I saw robins in December ....pretty unusual : )

Sandra :) said...

So far my word for the year has been junkfood - not a good start to 2012, LOL!

Your goodies are all gorgeous, and congratulations on your pattern, you designer you!!!

Darlene said...

A fabulous way to start the year, Allie. Enjoy!

Dandelion Quilts said...

How neat...your design, in a pretty package. :)

Carol said...

Now I understand why I haven't seen any robins yet!LOL!
What a wonderful post Allie...wishing you a great 2012!

Martha said...

What wonderful gifts, Allie -- you are one lucky girl! Love your mum's ornament (artistic talent obviously runs in the family) and your lovely pattern.

Looking forward to a year of new Allie-Oops patterns.

~Laurie~ said...

What beautiful presents Allie!! I know that jelly roll will create something just lovely!!! And I agree - the Joy hexie is much too pretty to use as a coaster! Your pattern printed up is gorgeous - when you are rich and famous one day, I hope you remember us little people;)

When we moved to Texas last year, I was so thrilled to see robins in the winter. I love seeing robins - they represent hope! Thanks for sharing one in your neck of the woods!

Cheryl said...

That rug mug is so pretty..I'm with you no sitting anything on that! Wow, you received some wonderful things in the mail!! Your mom's ornament is so sweet..like her daughter, very talented! We are all so excited about what lays ahead for you..good things for sure. (hugs)

West Michigan Quilter said...

Your gifts are beautiful. You have such thoughtful friends. I know the right job will come along for you. As I look back when I had to get my first job, I wrote down the three things I needed in that job. It came to pass. God hears you. Hugs, C.

Sue said...

Lovely, lovely gifts. And no, I could not sit a cup of anything on the beautiful mug rug.

I can't believe you saw a robin! What?! I guess I shouldn't be surprised though with as warm as it's been. My cousin said they don't really leave the state as we think but just go into hiding. The poor thing must be a bit confused :D

Dolores said...

It certainly was a fun week for you. It's mild here too - almost feels like spring. Maybe Mother Nature fooled the little robin.
Have a great 2012 working.

Carrie P. said...

It is fun to get such nice things in the mail box.
Work! that is a powerful word too. I hope both you and your hubby can both find the work that suits you best.
Blessings for the new year.

Terry said...

You get lovely things in your mail! That jelly roll will make a lovely quilt! And how nice to see a robin. Does that mean spring is right around the corner? LOL

Ivory Spring said...

Allie,

It's lovely to hear from you. I am always encouraged by your kind words.

Love all the goodies.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Lovely prezzies Allie..and your bag pattern looks fantastic...

Karen said...

I am not a tea or coffee drinker but I would love to be given such a pretty mug rug. And I wouldn't set anything on it.

Lisa said...

Pretty jelly roll, and I love the coaster but I'd be too scared to use it too ;o)

rosie said...

Hi sweet Allie, beautiful pressies and wins, so richly deserved..
I hope this year will be a special one for you, full of opportunities and happiness..
xx

Michelle said...

Your mailbox is a lot of fun! :-)

Susan said...

I LOVE that hexagon! What a terrific idea. Oh, no, I'm going to have to start yet *another* hexie quilt!

Talin's Corner said...

It seems that your new year is a good one so far. Enjoy all your goodies.

Kim D. said...

Congrats on the win Allie. The gifts are so lovely and your bag design is adorable. Congratulations! You are so giving and deserve every one of those gifts and wins. Good luck with the Work word, I hope you find something that you love doing. Then it's not such a job.

Linda in Calif. said...

Wow! I totally love your word. I do hope you enjoy all your work this year. Oh and that ornament - too cute and precious! Amazing that she used the word "Joy". She did an excellent job on the mug rug, so perfect looking.

Loralynn said...

What a bunch of lovely goodies! Hope you find a "work" that brings you joy!

Mama Pea said...

Isn't this weather grand? I'm loving it. I love your gifts. My word for this year is Shine. I'll blog it soon. :-) I have enough work, thank you. LOL. C'mon over. I'll give ya some.

Michelle said...

Allie, what a lovely post! And such pretty things! I like your word. Have a wonderful weekend!

Hugs,
Michelle

susan m hinckley said...

What a great post, Allie! I loved your goodies (the Lucy ornament is delightful, as is your Mum obviously) but I especially enjoyed your thoughts on work. It should be my word for the year also. I'm going to do some thinking on that. What a great idea! Can't wait to see where your work takes you. Good luck! Oh yes -- almost forgot -- your pattern looks FANTASTIC! Congratulations!

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Oh, Allie - so many good things - all in one post! Love all of your goodies - especially the Lucy knob your mom painted! And, your design all packaged up - so wonderful!! And, I love your Word for the year - I'm hoping that you find the perfect work for you - and looking forward to seeing all of your pretty designs in the New Year!!

Soggibottom said...

OI !
That is my tree :-) X X X

Lauranie said...

Well, I guess WORK could be a good word, I mean we ALL do it! :) So exciting to see your NAME on an actual product...so COOL! And they really did a great job packaging your lovely design! :) Here's to a great new year for us all...as soon as my LUCK starts to get better!! Maybe that should be MY word for 2012! :P

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...