Thursday, December 15, 2011

More Tutorials And Where Is My Brain?

Have you seen it?  Wandering around in the cold and rain?  Send it home, please.

I've known my mother all my life.  And every year she has a birthday.  Do you think I could remember it?  I KNOW when it is, December 20th, yet somehow I managed to forget this year.  When I remembered the other night, I panicked - somehow I had forgotten about making her a gift!

I took her to get her new meds the other night, and she was scrambling in her tiny wallet for her medical cards, cash, etc.  I had made her that wallet, and it's far too small for all she has in it.  She had cards falling everywhere, trying to get to just one. I found this tutorial online, from ThatDarnKat, and decided to make it last night.

DSC04896  2
DSC04898    2

I LOVE IT!  It has 8 credit [or other] card slots on the bottom, a bill pocket and two extra pockets on top.  This might work for her.  I had a heck of a time figuring out the pockets from the instructions - in the end, I just did it my way, and it worked out.  I went into the comment section and looked at other blogs that had made it, and one said the bottom pockets needed to be 4 inches from top to bottom, so I made my folds according to that.

And now, more tutorials.  Amanda at Krafty Panda made the cutest little wreaths!


And Val Spiers has some applique drawings for you, they're so sweet - boy has she been busy, check out her other posts!


Debbie from Woolensails has two adorable cross-stitch designs for you!


And Stephanie from Peas in a Pod has the most brilliant link for hot chocolate on a stick - love the packaging and it sounds delicious!



From Completely Coastal, she shows how to make a beach ornament - I have some pink sand from Bermuda, and I would love to make this - you'll have to click the link, I forgot to ask permission to use her pic.

So how are you coming with your Christmas gifts?  All done?  Close?  I'm pretty close myself, just have a couple of small things to quilt and bind.  I've been slacking - either mum or my oldest son has given me a cold, and I'm taking it easy.

I read a post last night that really spoke to me, on Paratus Familia blog.  Money is so very tight for so very many of us, and this post reminded me that gifts are not what Christmas is about.  She shares a very touching [and humorous] story, check it out if you find yourself panicking about gifts!

Til next time, be well, be happy, be blessed!

25 comments:

Sue said...

That is a beautiful wallet and you sure whipped it up quickly. I am sure your mother will cherish it always.

You reminded me that my niece's birthday is the 17th! Yikes!

Merry Christmas,
Sue

Jeanette said...

Love the wallet. A fabulous idea. I'm sure your Mum will love it. Hugs,

Loris said...

Cute wallet! and just in the nick of time :-) She'll love it!
Thanks for the link to Woolensales...love the cross stitch ornaments!
Merry Christmas!...and Happy Birthday to your mom :-)

shez said...

Love the wallet Allie your mum will love it and the colours are gorgeous,well done

Nancy said...

I have one more big one to buy...Hubby has two bicycles to put together..HA...I tried that tutorial and gave up...could not figure out those pockets either...

West Michigan Quilter said...

Too funny about forgetting. I have the same problem. Have to write down every day exactly what I must do. LOL Love that wallet. I need to make one of those. Do you suppose you could use a ready made marshmallow for that hot chocolate on a stick. Sounds like a cute item for my grand kids. Thanks for all the links. I'm off to read that post. I agree, I think we forget what Christmas is really about!

Karen said...

I have run out of time on making Christmas gifts. And I did not make all I should have or wanted to. There is always the new year to start fresh making more gifts.

I have a friend with a December birthday that I tend to forget because it is so close to Christmas. I used to send her a birthday card in early December so I would not forget. Now we have decided not spend money on the cards and do e-mails instead.

Michelle said...

Happy Birthday to your mom! I'm sure she'll love the billfold. How pretty! I'm NOT looking at any tutorials. Then I'll just want to add more things to do on my list! LOL!

Mary-Kay said...

Nice quickie gift for your mom. Happy birthday MOM. Just in case I'm not around on the 20th.

susan m hinckley said...

Wow! What a great gift! I can honestly say, it has never occurred to me to make a wallet. Well done -- your lucky mum is going to have a happy birthday indeed!

unfinishedquilts said...

All I can say is Thank You! That final link is a real eye-opener. Much needed this week.

Fiona said...

The wallet is awesome ... your mum will love it...
As you say things are tight for many and this year I have been much more simple in my Christmas.. and I am enjoying it so much more...
Hugz

Mama Pea said...

Love the wallet! I know how you feel about forgetting. That happens to me sometimes! Thanks for the link. I've had a lot of traffic from your blog. Mucho appreciated!

Stephanie

Val said...

Fabulous wallet. You are right about the credit card pockets being tricky. Your mum should love it. Thanks for all the tutorial links.

Cyndi said...

Hello my dear friend! Wondering where I've been? Me too! I think I've bee wandering around with your brain! LOL!!

Love, love, love the wallet you made for your mom...the fabrics are gorgeous and I know she's going to love it!

I just gave up on gift-making this year. Haven't had the time, but I'll make it up next year!

Will call you sometime this weekend....probably on Sunday after the Nabors' family party! :o]

XOXO,

Cyndi

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

OMGosh Allie, my Mom's birthday is Dec 20 as well....she's be 91.

Tell you Momma Happy Birthday and I love her new wallet.

Shari said...

Happy Birthday Mom!! Hope you have a wonderful day and are feeling a lot better by then.

Nice wallet Allie.

Marilyn said...

Great job on your Mum's wallet. It looks like it will be just what she needs.
Thanks for the link to Paratus Familia blog. What a wonderful story. Sure makes you think doesnt it. It would be good for society to get back to some of those simple things. (and way less stressful)

Carrie P. said...

that wallet is perfect for your mom. Well done.
thanks for sharing the links.

Martha said...

The wallet for your mom is so cute, Allie. I love how you can create something beautiful at the last minute, and also how, when you had a little problem, you "just did it my own way." I do that a lot, too :)

Thanks for the tutorials on the darling ornaments, and I think I may be one of those people who needs to visit Paratus Familia.

Caron Mosey - Michigan Quilts! said...

Thank you SO much for sharing the link to the Paratus Familia blog with your readers! I just clicked to be a follower... MARVELOUS! Thanks, Allie!

VivJM said...

Love the wallet, and sure your mum will do too xx

Terry said...

Nice wallet! I keep saying I'm going to make myself one, but I'm so used to the old one I have now, I probably wouldn't be able to find anything in a new one! LOL

Hillbilly Tonya said...

No...it's best that you don't forget your momma! Her bday is so close to Christmas that has probably happened a lot in her life.

Joanne Lendaro said...

Cool wallet Allie!! This is just what we (Marcy is home for Christmas) need!! She was looking for something to make a couple of friends back at school!! Thanks Love!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...