Tuesday, October 25, 2011

What A Week, Already

It started Monday, with an appointment to take Sam for his brace.  For those who don't know, Sam has scoliosis, a 40-degree curve in his spine.  This is what he has to wear....front,

DSC04720    2
and back.

DSC04719    2


It hurts.  He's wearing it for an hour and a half at a time to try to get used to it.  He's having a great deal of trouble sitting down without it digging into the tops of his legs, and the back comes down so far it hits the chair seat, and pushes the brace up, into his ribs....I have to call tomorrow to go back in for more adjustments.  Right now, he's standing at the counter, using his laptop. 

Somehow tomorrow, I have to find time to pick up mum, take her to the bank, two different stores to get her meds, grocery shopping, post office, AND call the doctor and take Sam to get his brace adjusted.  Seems like I left something out there...wouldn't surprise me.  Monday we were at the orthotic place for 3 hours, while they adjusted the brace.  I hope it won't take that long again.

A bright spot in my week came from the lovely Cathy of Big Lake Quilter.  She's been having give-aways, and contacted me to let me know I'd won.  What a doll...it came today.

DSC04713    2

 Great pattern, a batik charm pack, a storage basket perfect for patterns, and a darling little needlecase - thank you so much Cathy!!  You are a sweetheart and you really cheered me up!

Another bright spot tonight was going to see Shirley.  We haven't seen her in a few weeks, she went to Florida to visit her daughter, and last week none of us was feeling well.  Greta [her dog] was overjoyed to see us.  Well, so was Shirley....

DSC04723    2

I do have some tutorials for you today.  Most of you probably know Penny, from Sew Take A Hike.  She's been a busy girl, and has 3 tutorials for you!  First up, a darling paper-pieced pop bottle curtain tutorial....



Then, a crocheted and stitched pot holder!




And finally, the cutest bottle cap trivet!


If you don't know her blog, you're missing out!  Thank you dear Penny, for letting me use your pics, and for being so incredibly creative!

Lastly, here's a great resource of free sewing patterns - Freeneedle.  Organized by category, there are almost 2800 links to free patterns.  Great place, but bring your cuppa!  And maybe lunch.

How is your Christmas gift coming?  I'm working hard on mine, when I'm home.  I hope I'm home enough to get it done.  I'll be doing our linky post in a few days.

Also, don't forget about my give-away, you still have time to enter - I'll be picking the winner the evening of October 30!  I haven't had much time to play with pics lately, but I'm dying to.  It's so much fun.

I hope the week is going better for all of you, and I hope it gets better for us too.  If you think of it, I'm sure Sam would appreciate prayer as he gets used to his "torture device", as he calls it.  I know I would, and I thank you!

30 comments:

Sandra :) said...

Torture device indeed - I'm so sorry he has to go through that crap :( Both of my kids wore splints (and other torture devices) on their legs when they were born (club feet) - of course they don't remember, but I do - I felt like the meanest mom around! How long do they think he'll have to wear the brace?

I hope you're keeping a To Do list of the stuff you need to get done - that's the only way I can keep track of things - every day I seem to get more and more forgetful, arrrgghhh!

loulee said...

Orthitic devices always take a lot of tweaking. I'm sure this discomfort at the start will be worth it. Once it's right.......

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

That sounds most uncomfortable Allie...I am sure the adjustment will make a bit difference...but it will be worth it in the long run...

Jeanette said...

I hope you get the brace all sorted soon Allie. It looks most uncomfortable. Lovely gifties you won. Hugs,

Sharon said...

Bless his heart! I will be praying for Sam. Hope you won't have to wait so long at the next visit for adjustment.
Congratulations on the win! Such lovely things to brighten your day!
Thank you also for the links, dear Allie!

O'faigh said...

Hello Allie, I wish a speedy adjustment for young Sam and the torture device....lovely win Allie...glad it brightened your day...hugs O'faigh

Cheryll said...

Thanks Allie.. for an interesting visit. Lots to read in this one!

Terry said...

Yep...that looks just like what Emily's friend had to wear. She's had hers for two years now and she's finally getting close to being finished with it. She says when she's done she's having a big bonfire and she's burning it! LOL

Jenny of Elefantz said...

I sure am praying for your sweet boy!!
Love
Jen
xxxxx

unfinishedquilts said...

Poor Sam! Hubby's neice had to wear one for quite some time, but I am thinking she is sure glad she did now. Hoping today runs smooth for you! Have a wonderful one!

Sue said...

Gosh, Allie. I am so sorry your son has to wear this. It doesn't look comfortable at all. I really hope they can adjust it to fit much better.

You sound like you're as busy as I am. This week is just nuts for running around :/ *sigh*

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Poor Sam, but it is better for him to wear it now while he is young. My daughter developed scoliosis, but we did not discover it until she was too old for a brace. I can't remember what the cut off age was, but we went to two doctors and they both said the same thing.

Mickie said...

I feel so bad for Sam and also for you (it's so hard to see our children in distress or discomfort). Sending you both lots of (((((hugs))))))
Mickie

Sue from Cyprus said...

Oh Allie.... I feel your pain as a mother. Both my daughters wear this awful brace. It's most uncomfortable in the begining but I assure you that once you go through the adjustments it will get easier. My girls have to wear this device for 20 hours out of the 24 hours! Their 4 hour break must be broken up into 1 hour segments. They wear them all night and all day at school and the breaks start when they come home from school. One of the girls has been wearing this device for 4 years and my youngest for a year. All I can say is to perservere with it all. It's not easy but I feel that if he wears it he may by-pass the awful surgery.

Good luck Allie.

PS I know you are a long ways from here but I have to travel to Greece to get our braces bought and adjusted. They are alittle thinner than Sam's brace and seem alot more comfortable. If you like I can direct you to the special place where they are made.

PPS I just want you to know that my eldest who has been wearing the brace the longest has shown some improvement. With this brace the scoliosis degrees has lessened by 2-3 degrees which means that although it doesn't improve the curve it definately stabilises it.

Sue from Cyprus x x

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Hope it gets adjusted correctly. That does seem awful to wear. Can it correct the spine?

Great post today.

JCnNC said...

You certainly did deserve winning and so happy it was you. Hang in there - you will live through it, but you will definitely not look the same. Lol Your life is very busy. Love the sewing you have been doing. Thanks for the shout out for Penny. Judy C

Cyndi said...

Oh gosh, poor Sam! That thing looks so uncomfortable. How long will he have to wear it? I hope that you're able to get it adjusted so it's not quite so awkward and painful for him! Keeping him in my prayers!!!

Hope the rest of your week gets better...I'll call later today!

XOXO,

Cyndi

West Michigan Quilter said...

My heart goes out to your son. I'm sure this will take some getting used to. Hey, I know what you forgot...time for you!
Thanks for the great links.

Fiona said...

ooooh... that looks straight out of the medieval torture chamber..... all the best Sam... for good results from using it.....
Hugz

SueB said...

Oh I hope Sam feels better with the use of this brace. It does look awful. You have to love Greta ,

shez said...

congrats on your win Allie,well done,yours son brace doesnt look comfortable,so all the best with it.

Fleurette said...

Lovely win Allie. I hope those adjustments can be done quickly.Keeping Sam in my prayers and I hope the days ahead get better for you. Thanks for the links.

Marg H said...

What a busy week. Hard when you're needed by so many people - and I know that you really don't mind, but it can be a bit overwhelming. Hope you found some time for you. That must be so hard for Sam - hope the new adjustments were successful.

Wendy said...

oh no, poor Sam. That sounds like a right royal pain for him, and you I suppose. Will he have to wear it forever? My cousin has scoliosis but has never worn a brace

Loralynn said...

I feel for you and Sam. Having to wear the brace sucks, but in the long run (even though Sam might not think so in the next few weeks) it will be worth it. The adjustment period for my son, Devon, was not an easy one. But, when he finally didn't have to wear the brace any more it was so good to know that his back had not progressed any further. My prayers are with you. ***A thought...if you think it would help Sam any, I'm sure Devon would be happy to talk to him about the brace. It might be nice for him to be able to talk to someone who knows EXACTLY what he's going through.

Michelle said...

I hope Sam is feeling better.

Mama Pea said...

Sorry you are having a rough week. I should quit complaining about my troubles. Sounds like the scoliosis is a real pain--literally. My cousin has that and has metal rods in her back. ouch. Lots of love to you guys and hope it all gets better. Glad you won a prize!

Cheryl said...

Hoping the brace situation gets worked out for Sam...wow, that is quite the device and I am sure there will be lots of visits to make it fit properly. You sure have a lot going on! Congrats on your win and thanks for the great tutorials!!! Love those bottles!

Martha said...

I feel sorry for Sam. It's bad enough feeling uncomfortable, but I think it's also emotionally difficult for a teenager to have to wear something like this. Fortunately, Sam has a caring and sympathetic family who will help him get through this ordeal.

I hope the doctors are able to adjust the brace correctly and Sam is feeling better very soon. I guess it's all worth it if he can avoid the surgery.

Carrie P. said...

boy, I have missed a lot on your blog.
So sorry to hear about your son but glad to hear that he got the brace to fit him better.
Congrats on your win from Cathy. Very nice stuff.
Cute little stocking embroidery.
I don't think I have seen the painted quilt before. Very nice design.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...