Monday, October 31, 2011

Christmas Through The Year October Winner!

And our winner is .............

number 3, O'Faigh!  Congratulations hon, I think I have your address, if not I'll let you know!  Thank you everyone for playing along!

I did finish my own gift, with 5 whole hours to spare.  I made a set of 7 mug rugs.

DSC04771

The pictures are horrid because it was already dark out.  The light in here is not the best, sorry.  Anyway, these are my own designs, and as soon as I get the pattern written up [give me about a week] I'll be happy to share it with you.

I wanted kind of big mug rugs....the one thing I don't like about them, is that you always have to set your mug on the prettiest part, and my name is not Grace.  So I made mine with a big square to put your cup on, and left the pretty part off to the side. 

DSC04767

After I had them cut out and the tops made, I decided using a light color was a mistake, being that I'm a spiller and all, and probably should have used a quilt block, maybe a star.  Do you do that?  Change your mind when it's too late?  I also don't care for the colors I used, and will be re-doing them in redwork.

DSC04766

Another mistake was that I tried to cheat on the finishing.  Rather than going to the hassle of making and attaching a binding, I decided to do the pillowcase finish.  I don't like it, and next time will use binding.

DSC04765

Lazy doesn't pay.

DSC04761
Because I pillowcased them, anything more than minimal quilting would have puckered something awful.  Yes absolutely these need to be made again, lol.

DSC04759
 DSC04762
DSC04764

Maybe that will be my November project.  Speaking of November, it's here - almost 1am!  This coming weekend we'll be turning our clocks back, and gaining an extra hour.  WE NEED IT.  Less than two months to go now!  I'll be back tomorrow to kick off our November making!

17 comments:

O'faigh said...

Ohhh Allie, thankyou what a lovely surprise....that Christmas Pud sure has given me some luck lately......Allie what a shame with your mug rugs.....sometimes we learn the hard way....shortcuts can cause havoc...or you can get away with it...love your designs...Hugs O'faigh

Fiona said...

well darlin' I think they are just delightful.... I am a clutz and spill... but then I think that would add to the charm of a well used, well loved mug rug....
But yes, when I try and 'make up' stuff or do it the 'easy way' it ends up taking the long messy way around...
Well done to O'faigh.. I did love that puddin'
Hugz

Cheryll said...

Congrats to Ofaigh... and also to you Allie on a fantastic multiple finish. With time to spare !!! :)

Cheryl said...

Congrats to Ofaigh....and love your your projects for the month!! Wow, you got so much done.

shez said...

congrats Lyn well done on your win.We need to make mistakes Allie so we can learn from them,lol,thats what i tell myself,lol

Carol said...

Cute, cute mug rugs...great idea for the extra side...who wants to set anything on that cute stitchery...do you think we could talk them into giving us a couple of hours instead of just one? LOL!

Caron Mosey said...

Those are so cute!!! I thought about making mug rugs for friends at work for Christmas but the thought of doing binding on the little things drives me nuts. Pillowcase sounds good, but I'm still not sure...

rosie said...

Allie, they are gorgeous... you are way too critical!!! I love that you said that your name wasn't Grace!! Me too!!xx

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I think they turned out adorable. I love adding a bit of stitchery on projects. My first thought was "oh no, I can see myself spilling all over the light fabric" lol. Maybe with the next set you can do the binding where you cut the backing a few inches larger and then fold it to the front. That way you can quilt as desired but don't have to make actual binding. It usually works well with small projects.

Shari said...

I thought they look lovely and I agree with your thinking about the mug covering the prettiest part. I think a pretty print is the way to go. Your stitcheries are cute.

Sandra :) said...

Congratulations O'Faigh!

Hey Allie I thought your name WAS Grace!! ;)

I'm quite familiar with the Case of the Pillowcase Puckering. It seems like such a good (and easy) method of finishing items, but you're absolutely right about what happens afterwards. I like Robin's binding idea - I need to remember to do it that way more often! On a very small project if you machine stitch the folded binding down you wouldn't even have to do additional quilting, as the stitching would = quilting. Using decorative stitching would be even better!

Carrie P. said...

those are so great. I love the candy canes. Really great ideas.
Time to change the clocks. I didn't even know that. Thanks for letting us know.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

VERY cute Mug Rugs. They make such great little gifts.

Wendy said...

SEVEN? You made SEVEN mugrugs? And you don't like them? You're crazy lady, they're lovely!

Ivory Spring said...

Oh how cute!

Dolores said...

You really have been busy with all those mug rugs - AND playing with your new software. Good for you.

Mama Pea said...

You are so talented. I hate it when I take shortcuts and then regret it. But they look good.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...