Monday, September 26, 2011

Weekend Report

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Monday, it's a damp and drizzly day here - I fell asleep last night to the sounds of a torrential downpour, it was lovely.  We had perfect weather this weekend.  Saturday, Cathy and I went to the American Sewing Expo, do you want to see my loot?  There's not much of it, but I'm happy with it!  First I bought what I always go there to get, my hand sewing thimbles.

DSC04470    2

I LOVE those thimbles.  This may last me until next year.  Then, there was a vendor selling books mighty cheap, I got these two...

DSC04462    2
DSC04466    2

for $9.  Wow!  I hadn't planned on buying any books, but couldn't resist.  I also picked up some fabric to make stars for Johna'Lee, from the Quilts of Valor booth.

DSC04473    2

I told them her story, and they gave me 10% off the fabrics.  Isn't that so sweet.

The show was smaller yet this year, and crowds were way down.  A very sad indicator of our economy.  There were some new vendors, I hope they made enough to cover their spaces.

Sunday, we helped Cathy move some more things from her old house.  Thank goodness for teenage boys!  I was too tired to blog or sew last night [although I mostly supervised, lol].  I'm going to get the binding on the quilts today, and try to come up with a Christmas gift - I need to decide what to make!  I'll be back probably tomorrow for our link-up post.  Although I just realized tomorrow is Tuesday, and that's always a busy day for me...errands and a visit to Shirley.  I might be the last one this month to get my gift done!

By the way, if you're going to make stars for Johna'Lee, could you please include a dollar or two to help offset costs?  She didn't ask for that, but I think it would be a lovely gesture - quilts cost money, and she's got a Herculean effort going.  I don't mind asking for her!

I'll try to catch up on your blogs this week.  You've all been busy, and I'm missing you!

21 comments:

Sue said...

At the last minute, my hubby wanted to go to the gun show, so I ended up at the Sewing Expo too. I wish we could have met up.
I noticed the crowds were down, but I got there later too and thought that may be the reason why. I picked up some goodies from the gadget gals and I too, use those thimble pads. They are my favorite as I've never been able to get accustomed to a thimble for my finger. I did just get those hand-held thimbles and am anxious to give it a try.

Sandie ~call me crazy said...

Love your finds! I'll have to keep an eye out for those thimble pads as I really don't care for the regular type either. Have a happy week!

Melody said...

Great shopping. Those little thimbles look like a great idea.

West Michigan Quilter said...

Sounds like you had a great time. Love those thimble pads too. I can't find a thimble that fits, so I use the pads. Love those books. I bet they have some great patterns. Glad you had fun and found some great buys.

Fiona said...

Love those books... so are you going to do a needleturn quilt? Useful little thimbley pads.....
Hugz

John'aLee said...

You are too kind Allie! I so wish it was my show you were coming to! I really hope to meet some day.

Thank you so much for mentioning about the quilts. It really does touch me my friend. You are a jewel!

Hugs...

Sandra :) said...

I don't use thimbles - I go for the hamburger finger look myself :D

Nice budget-friendly purchases you made, there, Allie - at least your wallet didn't scream all the way home, LOL!! Too bad about the crowds being down - I feel bad for the vendors, who I know usually pay a VERY pretty price for their booths!

Cyndi said...

Hey Allie! Looks like you made some great purchases at the show! All of the shows I've been to this year, with the exception of the International Quilt Festival, have been a lot smaller and not very-well-attended. It's so sad!

The fabrics you got for John'aLee's blocks are adorable...I'm going to be working on mine this week, too.

Sorry I didn't get to call you yesterday...we have family in from Florida and had an all-day long mini reunion...didn't get home until 11:00 p.m. and I was exhausted. I'll call this week!

XOXO,

Cyndi

susan m hinckley said...

I love those stick-on thimbles too! I tend to forget about them and sometimes leave them on long after I'm done sewing -- then I stick them in the kitchen, which is usually where I discover I'm still wearing them, and forget they are there. I find them stuck around my house all the time (And I loved your picture of binding from the last post, which I missed.)

Cheryll said...

I'll go check out those thimbles... they look fantastic! Also LoVe the books...nice choices! :)

rosie said...

I too am going to look out for the thimbles Allie.. looks like you had a great time at the show..

Mary said...

Yes, yes, yes! I love those thimble pads and I find that they last through many sessions - I just stick them back on the sheet and use them again. It looks like you had a lot of fun at the sewing expo and came away with some cool things :)

Michelle Ridgway said...

I love those thimbles on my under the quilt fingers for hand quilting because I can't stand a regular thimble underneath..works a treat. Lovely books.

Mama Spark said...

Great finds! I should give those thimbles a try. I keep thinking I should just buy some mole skin and cut it. I could get a little bigger piece to fit my finger a little better and I think it would be cheaper in the long run. Just my musings.

Stitched With Prayer said...

Allie,
Those are my favorite thimbles and boy they are hard to find. I'm down to my last two so I need to get busy and order some.
Hugs,
Nancy

Cathy said...

We did have a beautiful weekend didn't we. I have wanted the Gwen Marston book for a while. So I saw it in your post and went to Amazon to order it. I have the second book you got. I love it. Hugs

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Oh, you're such a Sweetie Allie! Those blocks are going to look so nice! And, thanks for the tip on the thimbles - I'd thought of trying those, but wasn't sure if they'd work! Lovely books - can't wait to see the pretty stuff you make! Be sure to take time to rest now - busy girl!!

Joanne Lendaro said...

Great find on the books! Have to give those finger thingies a try. Glad you had some young muscle to help move, this is when it's a good time to have big boys.

Shari said...

Sounds like a lovely time at the show - always better with a friend.

Love your shopping - the thimbles look interesting. Have been trying to find something like that...

Val said...

I am just now reading this post and you won't believe it but I went and purchased some fabric today and it is so similar to yours. If our grandbaby doesn't come tonight I will be working on it again tomorrow.

Michelle May (Shell) said...

I just ordered those thimble pads to carry in my shop. Aren't they fabulous! I love them!
xx, shell

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...