Friday, August 19, 2011

We Interrupt Your Regularly Scheduled Broadcast...

to bring you the prelude to the 2011 Woodward Dream Cruise.  If you're here looking for quilty content, you may want to look away now.  But I don't recommend it.

DSC04231

After all, you may see some of these vehicles on quilts someday.

DSC04228
 DSC04226

Sam is sick, so mum and I headed down to Woodward Ave, the first stretch of concrete roadway in the world.  And the scene of many a teenage drama, including mum's.  She used to cruise here. 

DSC04215

Tomorrow is the official cruise, but they've been at it all week.  For miles and miles, nothing but people from all over the country and their classic cars.  Duggan's Irish Pub is a hot spot, our local news broadcasts the cruise from here.

DSC04214DSC04213
People are incredibly courteous, letting each other into traffic, giving thumbs up to the cars, and car owners are more than happy to tell you all about their rides.

DSC04210

Not only are the cars cruising, they're parked all along the road, anywhere they can fit.  Folding chairs near the curb for comfort, and someone handed us free bottles of Faygo pop.

DSC04209DSC04200
I had a hard time finding a parking space, but that didn't stop me from taking pictures along the route.

DSC04192
But never fear - I was in the slow lane, it was stop, go, stop, go, stop stop stop.  I clicked at stops.  Mostly.

DSC04193DSC04183DSC04179DSC04177
These ladies were a hoot - they were rating the rides.

DSC04162DSC04142
I love it when the hot rods squeal their tires and take off.  Lots of rubber gets left behind on Woodward during cruise week.

DSC04121DSC04116DSC04111DSC04103
Love this one.

DSC04099DSC04072
Mum remembers riding in something like this.

DSC04065DSC04056
Very cool.

DSC03972
A personal favorite.

DSC04145
DSC03959
DSC03961

So, tomorrow is the real cruise, and I want to go for it.  I'll have you know I only took and uploaded 245 pics to my flickr and no, I didn't put them all on my blog.  I also have a couple of movies for you.  Might want to turn your volume down a bit.  The first is the cars...



And here, a band started up, and this guy was dancing all by himself.  He really made my toes start tapping, if I'd been braver I would have gotten out there with him.  But then we wouldn't have the cool movie of him.


Hope you enjoyed that as much as we did.  Not sure I'm going tomorrow, Sam was good enough to give me his awful cold.  My throat is killing me and my nose is leaking like a sieve.  But tomorrow will be even better - wall to wall classic cars - noise and fumes and crowds, how I love it!  The only way it would be better is if it was held on a beach somewhere.  Think I'll go to bed now with a half-gallon of Nyquil.  I bet gas fumes are good for your sinuses....clear them right up, right?  I'm going to fall asleep with the old "see the USA in your Chevrolet" commercial ringing in my ears....





30 comments:

Fiona said...

I can only imagine the amount of oooohing and aaaaahing that went on....
Hope you feel better soon...
Hugz

shez said...

love them Allie i just showed hubby and we watched your little video,thankyou

Patricia said...

What fun! And great photos, Allie. Aren't you loving that camera?

I have to tell you though, that on that photo in front of the Irish Pub, the first thing I saw was the Florida Gator on the tire cover on the back of that yellow jeep! =) Gator Nation is everywhere!

Have a great weekend, my dearly treasured friend!!!

XOXOX

Sue said...

What a lot of fun Allie. I've been to more than a few car shows like this and it's always so interesting even if you're not a car tragic!

Dawn said...

wow Allie, like stepping back in time seeing all these cars... have a wonderful time my friend
Hugs Dawn x x

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

How cool is that! I'm not really into vintage cars, but I do think they are SO cool. When I was in High School there was a guy who had a mint condition '57 Chevy. He would go to Reserves in the summer and he let me "babysit" his car for a couple of weeks ;-) My girlfriend and I would drive around in it. What a hoot!!!

Mickie said...

What fun! I love all the cars especially the red and white one in the beginnging (candy). I hope you feel better soon! That cold seems to be all over right now. My girlfriend had it, DH has it (in Peru, no less). Summer colds...no FUN!
Feel better friend!
Hugs,
Mickie

Sharon said...

They don't make cars like they use to. Love that hot pink one!

Linda said...

My brother restores old cars and turns them into street rods. He has even won some awards for his work. He owns a couple of upholstery sewing machines so he can custom make his own seatcovers. I know how much work goes into these cars! They're beautiful!

sunny said...

Great photos! Ah, the good old days. HOpe you feel well enough to go back on Saturday. Enjoy.

Cyndi said...

Aw Allie, it looks like you and Mom had a blast! Sure wish I could have been there with you. And...I hope you feel better today so you can get back out there and have some more fun!

Sorry I wasn't able to call you the other night...I've been sick, too! :o(

Chat soon, though!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Sue said...

AWESOME photos! My husband and I were talking today how we really need to get down there. This was such a great post and I didn't mind one bit that it wasn't quilt related. Don't we quilters have other interests?! :D

Hugs and blessings,
Sue

Terry said...

What cool cars! I love the first one! And the green one with the flames! And of course the Corvette! :0)

Cheryl said...

As my little grandson would say "how awesome"!!!! Brings back lots of good cruising memories! Great pictures. Sorry I totally missed TPT!!!

Cheryl said...

PS...hope you feel better!

Sharon said...

Wow, awesome pix! I love those old (and not-so-old) cars. It looks like you had a blast. Wish I could have been with you!

I hope you feel better soon. Take care!

MB in MI said...

Thanks for the great post! Hope you feel better soon. (we went to the airshow at Selfridge today--not as impressive as in years past) The cars look awesome!!

jan said...

Hope you are feeling well enough to enjoy the main event! One of these days, The Mister and I plan to attend the dream cruise. We were there once, a week before the cruise and drove the Avenue with our car club in mid-century Fords. It is a great stretch of road!

Debbie said...

What fun, Allie! Wish I could've been there. See the USA, in your Chevrolet...LOL!

Feel better.

Marilyn said...

Awesome collection of vehicles.

Hope you were feeling better so you could really enjoy the rest of the celebrations.

Caron Mosey said...

Love the black 1960 Chevy Bel air. Wish I still had mine!

Mama Pea said...

Nice! I saw a beautiful old Chevy truck today...all painted bright blue. Just gorgeous. I want one of those! This looks like fun!

Hope you feel better soon! Yuk!

Joanne Lendaro said...

Perfect for Michigan!! Cars return home....those were the days. LOVED THIS Allie, but I'm a car nut! Thanks for taking the time to post it, and I hope you are feeling better!!

Jan said...

Look at all those neat old cars----what fun that must have been to hear them all rev up their engines!!!! Glad you had a fun time and thanks for sharing!

Michelle May (Shell) said...

How fun! David would love this! He spends more time with his 69 Camaro than me! ;)
xx, shell

Dolores said...

I love old cars. Thanks, I didn't have to leave home to see all of them.

Val said...

Oh this was soooo fun!!! Hope you feel better soon!!! Praying for you!

susan m hinckley said...

So sorry you're under the weather! Thanks for the heroic posting of groovy car pics before you got flattened. I think an August cold is patently unfair. Get better soon!

Candied Fabrics said...

wow look at all those FABULOUS cars!

Fleurette@ Fleur's place said...

Loved seeing these vintage cars - amazing how many there are. Wonderful photos Allie.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...