Sunday, August 28, 2011

Oops

Yesterday, when I showed you the pics of my new chairs, I forgot to mention what else I found at that thrift shop.  A treadle machine with what looked like a Singer Red Eye in the cabinet, for $50!  Guess who I called at work.  Yep, Cathy, the sewing machine queen.  She's been looking for one!  While I was talking to her, the gentleman said he'd go down to $30.

I picked her up from work, and we went back.  She looked at it, said "hm, needs a lot of work" and after a few minutes of that, he said "tell you what, give me $10 and get it out of here".  Um, hello, SOLD!

DSC04266

It even came with stuff in the drawer for it.

DSC04268

The legs.

DSC04271

She even had the perfect chair for it.

DSC04285

But for now, until she re-arranges her sewing room, it has to live here.

DSC04286

Isn't that a hoot.  This is a little machine her daughter picked up for her.  We've lost count how many she has - she still has to get the rest from the old house and her mum's.

DSC04265

This is a quilt Cathy made for a new baby, so cute.

DSC04262
DSC04264

The back.

DSC04261

And this is the quilt she's working on now, for a customer.  She's using some embroidery designs from Amazing Designs for the quilting, it's just gorgeous.

DSC04258

So Cathy's been busy, I'm glad because all I have to show you is the same thing I've been working on.  I do, however, have some tutorials for you.

First, from Dandelion Quilts, a beautiful table runner that you can make to showcase a big print...





Second, a Vinyl Rain Bag Tutorial from Talin, what a smart idea and she makes it easy~!


And from Liz at The Quilted Turtle, a darling adjustable headband tutorial for that special little girl in your life.  I forgot to ask her permission for her pic, so you'll have to go look.

I think that's all for now - I hope you all had a great weekend and are ready for a productive week, and that everyone in the flood zones are ok.  You are in my prayers.

29 comments:

sunny said...

Wow - what a deal! I just went back and saw your red chairs, too. I love them.

jan said...

What fun! I always like to find vintage sewing things for sale by folks who don't think much of vintage sewing things!

shez said...

a wonderful visit again Allie

Patricia said...

Wow, Allie, y'all did good!!!

Mary-Kay said...

Wow! What a find that was and who could argue with the price!

Val said...

The sewing machine looks so nice. I love that old shape. It seems like a real bargain. I love the Poky Puppy quilt and your sewing area looks great. I like the bags you have hanging up.

Fiona said...

I thought it was such a bargain at $50... and you got it for $10... wow... very cute quilt and thanks for links...
Hugz

Sue said...

That is an incredible deal! I love treadle sewing machines. I have one too that I bought at a barn sale 18 years ago, but it's not in as nice of shape as this one! WOW!

Shasta said...

What a great deal on the machine! I would have paid
$10 for the table alone. It does pay to take your time to think about things, although with my luck, someone else would swipe it while I was thinking.

Lauranie said...

so ummmm...you found this SWEET bargain and you went and picked up your friend so SHE could get it??!!! What a SUPER friend you are!!! I would have snatched it up for myself..but that is greedy-sewing machine-hogging me!! :D LOVED your chairs and your sewing space is looking nice...and bigger!! :) Glad to hear you are feeling better...and HAPPY Belated Bday, Sam!! Gosh...I've been missing so much! :(

Cathy said...

Congrats on the Sewing machine. $10.00 is unbelievable. Have a great day. Hugs

Cathy said...

Ooops my eyes were blurry when I read your post...lol $50.00 is also an unbelievable price. Hugs

Linda said...

What a great find! Those old machines are so beautiful!

~Laurie~ said...

LOVE the sewing machine story - $10!! WOW-WEEE!

Talin's Corner said...

Oh, Allie, what bargain hunters you guys are. I would have bought the foot pedal stand alone. It is gorgeous.

The baby quilt is so reminiscent of childhood days, it's great.

Thanks for the mention on your blog. Have a great day.

Carrie P. said...

Seriously!!! $10.00 what a steal.

Mama Pea said...

Wow! What a steal! I bought a treadle machine on e-bay for $200 and felt like I got a real steal. But it didn't come with any feet or anything. However, it has a beautiful tiger oak cabinet with all sorts of filagree. Had I seen this, I would have bought it first, however!

I have some quilting designs for my embroidery machine, but I haven't been brave enough to try them yet....

Vicki ♥ said...

That would have to be the bargain of the year Allie :) Fantastic sewing machine. Lots of fabulous tutorials too. Thanks heaps :) Hugs Vicki x

West Michigan Quilter said...

Love your machine. I think I got one just like it for $...well I won't say because it was over 30 years ago and the price would mean nothing today. Anyway, I can remember my son using it to sew some plastic. Wouldn't let him use my good machine. Thanks for the links!

Stitched With Prayer said...

$10 ... $10 ... INCREDIBLE. Such a wonderful piece of sewing furniture and just so delightful to look at and fawn over. WAY TO GO Kiddo!!! It truly is beautiful. I'll have to comment more on the rest of your post tomorrow because I'm still really overwhelmed with the $10 bargain, LOL. Big, but gentle hugs sweet friend...

donna said...

WOW! That is a great deal for the antique sewing machine. Love the quilts.
Hug
donna

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Lucky lucky you, that is a find and a half Allie...

Jan said...

Wow----a jump from a treadle machine to a futuristic looking Dressmaker---what a leap!!! Both good looking machines! Just looked back and saw your sewing room---love it!!!

Cheryl said...

That's quite the score on that machine. I enjoyed seeing what Cathy is working on..and once again wonderful tutorial!

Val said...

That is a real deal! Just the cabinet is worth more than that! Glad you are feeling some better. I am catching up on some blogs!

Mama Spark said...

Screaming deal Allie!!! Great job!!

Linda said...

What an AMAZING find!!!!! Wow!! You lucky dog!!! :-)

Sandra :) said...

The sewing machine - she is BEAUTIFUL! LOL I like what Moma Spark calls it - a screaming deal!

Tanya said...

I love that sewing machine! What a beautiful piece of furniture! I don't know where I'd put a piece like that even if I had one but I sure would like one!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...