Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Miscellany

It's that time of year again here in southeastern Michigan, time for the Woodward Dream Cruise.  Just the thought of it makes my heart beat faster.  I'm a car nut, don't know much about them but I dearly love the old ones.  And lately I'm seeing them everywhere....

DSC03945

This guy was the only one I was quick enough to get while driving.  I was stopped at the light, so all was ok.  Since it was taken through my windshield [which still hasn't been washed], I'm posting it for my friend Patricia's Through The Window photo challenge.

Saturday is the official Cruise day.  But the cars have been gathering from far and wide, and we're going to cruise down Woodward tomorrow to start looking.  We'll probably go Friday and Saturday too.  My plan is to get some movies as well.  We'll see!

This is my aunt's cat Felix.  He is evil.  Well, not really - but he does not like men.  He bites them, growls and hisses and generally makes them feel very unwelcome.

DSC03926

He's cuddly with his mama, unless he's biting her.  Shortly after I took this pic, he nipped her foot.  He loves to hear her say OW!

And now the update.  Today, I started putting Kaaren's blocks together into rows.

DSC03948

There's double that on the design wall now, I took the pic this afternoon.  Blocks are everywhere.

DSC03949
DSC03950
DSC03951

Probably the most time-consuming part has been testing the writing, to make sure it doesn't bleed [a few have], and trimming.  I still have a lot to go on trimming and sashing.  But it felt good to start getting them in rows!

Normally, when I'm stitching blocks together and they're not super large, I don't pin them.  I just lay them together and stitch.  But this time, I want it as perfect as I can get it, so I'm pinning each one.  I'm a wee bit amazed at how well it's working, and I'll be changing my sorry ways when it comes to my own quilts! 

One more Through The Window photo for you.  I wish I could remember the quote about the world starting at your own front door.....

DSC03928

24 comments:

Cheryll said...

Keep up your great effort with the quilt. It looks wonderful so far!
You-da-best! Cheers :)

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Wow Allie, Kaaren's quilt is coming along. Can't wait to see it all put together. Great job!

shez said...

Karen's quilt is coming up so well,it looks fantastic Allie,what a great job.
That old car reminds me of the old movies that i have seen,lol.
Great post Allie

paulette said...

You are doing an amazing job!! Kaaren is going to flip!! :o)
Take care!
P

Fiona said...

What a lovely post.. full of allsorts.... the quilt is taking shape beautifully and I love the sashing you have found.... I can see you will have a busy few days...
Hugz

Carol said...

What a fun post! Kaaren's quilt is looking awesome!

Marg H said...

The quilt is looking fantastic. Can't wait to see more. Love the photos - the cat has a definite twinkle of mischief in his eye. I think he's got everyone bluffed and is having a laugh about it all.

Enjoy your weekend.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Kaaren's blocks are looking wonderful.

Terry said...

That cat just looks evil! LOL The blocks for Kaaren are looking great Allie! :0)

Sue said...

I guess everyone in Michigan loves the Dream Cruise! I've actually never been, but follow on the news. I do love old cars myself. There's just something nostalgic about them. Reminds me of the good old days :D

The blocks for Kaaren are coming along so nicely. How good of you to put something like this together for her. You are a lovely person!

conny's quilts said...

What a great combination with those blue sashings. You do a wunderfull job Allie! You are amazing!

West Michigan Quilter said...

The quilt is looking beautiful Allie! You are an angel to do this. I agree with Conny...you are amazing!

Sandra :) said...

Kaaren's quilt looks gorgeous!

Now - I'm a cat lover, as my Zoomer will testify - but Felix does look a little bit evil! My niece has a black cat too - her name is Flower. She's so damn evil we nicknamed her Lucifleur!

Michelle Ridgway said...

Quilt looks great. You are a very special lady Allie.
Michelle xx

Val said...

Kaaran's quilt is looking great. You are doing a wonderful job. I love your Michigan Blogger badge. I checked out the photos you took on Mackinac Island and I was amazed by the butterflies. They are so colourful.

SueB said...

Love how the quilt it coming along. It is going to be awesome for Kaaren. We hit all the old car shows around..

Kelly said...

I know what you mean, I love cars, especially old ones! Wanted to remind you not to forget about "Back to the Bricks" in Flint this weekend, too. I was in Grand Blanc Thursday night and they start cruising a few days early, just like for the Dream Cruise. You can totally get your fill (and, it's less congested in Flint!) Either way, enjoy!!!

Kelly

susan m hinckley said...

How can it be vintage car time again ALREADY??? Slow down, Allie -- you'll have it snowing next week. The quilt looks like it's going to be amazing, btw. And now your work is going to be getting more perfect? Wow...

Mary said...

I'm getting caught up on blog reading - wow! those pictures from your trip are amazing! I really, really want to go there someday. Kaaren's quilt is looking fabulous too - what a wonderful project.

LibbiesHome said...

What a fun time that cruise looks like! I'm not a car person really, but I can appreciate the love and attention people give their old cars.
Kaaren's quilt looks wonderful so far! I really appreciate all the hard work you are doing - and I know Kaaren will, too. :)

Mama Pea said...

Nice! I can't wait to see it all come together. You are amazing for doing this!

marina said...

great to see the quilt coming together.
So much work for you.
Love your car pics!

Shasta said...

These blocks look great together. And your photos are always wonderful.

Michelle May (Shell) said...

Ok, still laughing at Felix. He does look evil. Naughty kitty!
The quilt is going to be beautiful when it's done. I used a pigma pen, so mine won't bleed.
xx, shell

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...