Monday, August 15, 2011

I'm Back.....[with a million pictures]

and I wasn't gone long enough!  Three days is way too short.  But oh it was great.

We left for my aunt's house at 1:30am Friday morning, got on the road at 3am.  We got to Tawas City at dawn, and had breakfast.  The view from the restaurant....

DSC03650

It was in the Tawas Bay Beach Resort, where we booked a room for Saturday night.  The food was great, the rooms not so much, but it had a beautiful beach.

DSC03665    2

 And murals on the patio walls.

DSC03672    23
DSC03673

We stopped a few times along the way to Mackinac Island to stretch our legs.

DSC03686    2

Got to the ferry and headed over, passing the Mackinac Bridge.

DSC03703    2

Liz called just as we arrived, and we got to meet for the first time - she was off island last year when we came.  She lives on the island full-time.  What a sweetie!   Do you see that fabric bundle on the table?  She made me some fabulous market bags - I'll be the most stylish shopper out there!  Thank you Liz!  [Ignore the boat hair on me - I'm on the left.]

DSC03705

After we left Liz, we took a carriage ride around the island.  The homes are just gorgeous.

DSC03721    2

Rush hour on the island.

DSC03759    2

Cars are not allowed on the island, you get around by carriage or bicycle.  This is a parking lot.

DSC03756   23
 DSC03750    2

The Grand Hotel.

DSC03753    2
DSC03749    2

The Little Stone Church.

DSC03740    2

The cemetery [one of three?].

DSC03808    2

The Butterfly House.

DSC03767    2
DSC03792
DSC03782    2
DSC03787    2
DSC03791    2

The view from Arch Rock.

DSC03826  23
DSC03829    2

The Governor's mansion [where he vacations].

DSC03842    2
DSC03839    2

Near the ferry dock.

DSC03849    2

Murdick's Fudge, being made.

DSC03850

My hubby and older son had put in their order, and given Sam money to buy fudge.  Well, we had put it in the cooler, the ice melted, and all that fudge was lost....we had to go online and order more, lol.  It'll be here any day.

Downtown.

DSC03851    2

The island is so pretty, even the dog houses have flower boxes.

DSC03854

The day on the island was beautiful, sunny and not too warm.  I think there were half the amount of people there were last year - not good, as the island relies on tourists.  We left in the evening and headed back to Mackinac City [on the mainland] for the night.  We stayed at the Hamilton Inn, had a 2-room suite and a balcony - lovely place, we really enjoyed our stay there.  In the morning, we headed for Harrisville and my cousin's place on the beach.  It had started RAINING!  We weren't sure if they were there or not, so we stopped in town to eat, right next door to the.....quilt shop!!! 

The Hollyhock Quilt Shop, what a gorgeous place and so friendly!

DSC03879    2

And she let me take pics inside!

DSC03874
DSC03875
DSC03876    2
DSC03878
DSC03873    2

Wools, for Paulette.  *G*

DSC03877

After we ate, we headed to my cousin's place.  This is the view from the living room...my favorite beach in the world.  Also my submission for Patricia's Through The Window challenge.

DSC03881

It stopped raining shortly after we got there, so my cousin and Sam and I went down to the historic train depot.  It's being renovated - and will be hosting a wedding soon.  The city is trying to buy it, wish I could.

DSC03890    2
DSC03891    2
DSC03892
DSC03901

Dinner was ready, so we got back and ate again, and when it got dark everyone decided it was time for a  swim in the lake.  I walked the beach, but wasn't brave enough to go in - it was chilly, and the lake was agitated.  I LOVE walking a stormy beach at night!  It was great to see my cousin and her daughters from Missouri, and all my cousins from here.  We didn't stay the night, we left around midnight and headed back to Tawas and our reserved room.  It started raining again.  But morning on the beach was beautiful - the lake was calm again.

DSC03916    2

We took our time getting home, shopping in Tawas and stopping wherever we wanted.  It was a very leisurely trip.  We stopped in Kawkawlin like we always do, for dinner at the Turkey Roost.  HIGHLY recommend this restaurant.

DSC03923    2

By that time, my behind was numb and it was good to get home.  I can still hear the beach calling my name though...I think it's time to head back!  I hope I didn't overload you with too many pictures, there are lots more on my flickr, especially of island homes and shops.  And I didn't upload them all, either.  You can thank me later.

Now it's time to get my mind-set back from vacation mode, and get busy.  I'm going to read your blogs this evening, but I'm not even going to try catching up on comments - I have a quilt to finish!  Guess I'd better get busy!


61 comments:

sunny said...

Never an overload on pictures! I've only been to Mackinac Island once, but I would love to go back. Your butterfly pictures are awesome! Sorry you had to come back so soon.

Linda said...

You can never post too many pics!! I loved everyone of them!!! Beautiful weather for your trip too!!

Sharon said...

Enjoyed your pics! The butterflies are beautiful! You packed a lot in those few days!

WoolenSails said...

WOW! What a gorgeous place to visit and was just looking on a map where it is, lots of state forests and lakes, maybe someday I will get up there.

Debbie

Sue said...

Awesome photos! Isn't upper Michigan so beautiful? I just love it!

I so want to get to Hollyhock Quilt Shop some day. It's on my list of shops to visit!

I love your boat hair!! I thought it to be quite lovely!

joan said...

Love your photos! Glad you had a great vacation:)

paulette said...

Thanks so much for taking us along!!I enjoyed every picture! What a gorgeous Island!! And the quilt shop was wonderful...when I saw the wool I swooned and sighed aloud...and then laughed when I read what was above the picture!! You know me well!!
Take care!
P

Jeanette said...

Thanks for sharing your fabulous weekend away. Looks like you had a great time away. Hugs,

Fiona said...

Fabulous and fascinating... a bit of family, a bit of nature, a bit of food, a bit of fabric, a bit of history, a bit of beach ..... sounds just perfect...
Hugz

Dolores said...

I don't know Allie, that didn't sound too leisurely to me. There was a lot packed into only a couple of days. Glad you enjoyed yourself even with the rain. I really liked the paw print flowers in the quilt shop.

Patricia said...

Wow....Allie!!! How gorgeous is that!!! Your photos are stunning...and that island is truly beautiful. I'm so happy you had a wonderful time away.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Wow Allie!! Love the pictures! We went away for a few days too, so I will be posting pictures of our trip - soon ;-)

susan m hinckley said...

Gorgeous! Thanks for taking us along -- I admit it -- your vacation was better than mine! Glad it was great. Welcome home. And the fudge thing makes me laugh . . . I would have done the same thing!

Anne said...

Wonderful way to make memories. Those pictures make me almost (not quite though) wish for summer and beaches again. However I am actually enjoying our rainy weather right now :0)

Dandelion Quilts said...

I love the island. We always have fun on field trips there. :) Lovely, isn't it?

Elisa said...

Beautiful, beautiful pictures! Sounds like you had a great time! I can't wait to try out that quilt shop!

Sue said...

Wow gorgeous pictures and I just love the architecture. What a great place to stay.

Shari said...

Wow wow wow! What a great long weekend! You certainly packed a lot in for only a few days - just lovely. So glad it was so great. What interesting places to visit.

Sew Useful Designs said...

Oh.... (she sighs wistfully)... Allie, Allie, Allie! What a WONDERFUL vacation! I feel like I've been on holiday just looking at your photos... and there is never such thing as too many! *wink*! What a beautiful island, I love that there are no cars allowed, I bet the pace of life is wonderfully relaxing. And those flowers - wow! And those houses!!! I wonder what it would be like to live in one of those?! Sheesh! Glad you had a wonderful time sweetheart - you deserve it! Sometimes just a couple of days away can be as rejuvinating as two weeks can be! And I am in love with those old sewing machines in that quilt shop!!!

Big hugs sweetie!!!! Vikki xoxoxo

Terry said...

I'm so jealous! Seeing the Grand Hotel in person is on my bucket list! Looks like you had a wonderful time! :0)

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

I loved seeing all your pictures!!! That is one regret that I have that we never got up to Mackinac Island while we lived in South Bend but your pictures gave me a virtual visit :)))) That quilt shop was too adorable ~ and never mind about your hair I'm glad to have seen you out enjoying yourself - LOL

Michelle May (Shell) said...

Vacation is never long enough and then it seems it takes forever to catch up on everything. Uhhhh hello Shell!!! hee,hee,hee.
Looks like you had a fabulous time girlfriend! Great quilt shop! Lucky! ;)
xx, shell

Doniene said...

What beautiful homes and pictures!!! You're right - 3 days isn't enough!!!

Blessings

Melody said...

What a beautiful place. I loved each and every photo.

Mama Pea said...

Oh, that looks just so great! I have never been there and have always wanted to go. Now I REALLY want to go! Shame on you! :-)

Too bad about the fudge. What a bummer!

That little quilt shop just looks great. How fun. Love all the little sewing machines. Cute!

Glad you still had fun even with all the rain. Such a beautiful place!

CJ said...

Love the pictures! I so want to go to the island someday. SOMEDAY!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Looks like the most perfect spot Allie...fantastic photos and I am so pleased you had a wonderful time..

Michelle Ridgway said...

Thanks for the wonderful tour Allie, it is lovely to know what you look like too. I loved the quilt shop, the little stone church and the butterfly house was gorgeous. It certainly looks like a beautiful spot...so glad you had a wonderful time...fudge looked great too!

unfinishedquilts said...

Oh how I miss Mackinac! We used to go every year when the kids were younger. Our last trip was in 2004, I think we are long overdue!
Your pictures are beautiful and make me long for those trips.
Glad you had a great time!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Fantastic pictures. Looks like you had a really nice vacation. I was feeling a little seasick looking at the boat on the water, but by the time I reached the fudge I was just hungry....grin.

jan said...

The island looks like a wonderful place! Your new camera took some lovely photos!

Marg H said...

What a beautiful part of the world you visited. I love being by the water - but like you, it needs to be warm to actually go in. Unlike my kids on the weekend! I love the old buildings and the flowers - all so pretty. Love to go.......

Cheryl said...

WOW!!!! Great pics..what a wonderful trip. Too bad about the fudge, but glad more is on the way!
That quilt shop looks wonderful! Sounds like the perfect getaway!

karenshopes said...

It looks a very pretty place and that deserted beach looked like my kind of heaven.
Karen x

Joanne Lendaro said...

WOW!!! Thanks for taking the time to share all of your wonderful pictures. The island looks beautiful, glad you had a great trip.

rosie said...

I so loved this post... loved the photos of everything!!!!!

Caron Mosey said...

Oh, what a fantastic trip! I love Mackinac Island, and your photos are beautiful. I'd love to stay at the Grand Hotel sometime, but never have. The closest I got was the Iroquois, where I've stayed twice. I'm jealous of your trip!!!

Michelle said...

I love this post too! What a wonderful trip!

I LOVE THAT TURTLE!!! lol!

Ivory Spring said...

Welcome back, Allie.... that looks like the perfect vacation spot!

Stitches said...

Wonderful pictures and stories too!! Love the butterflies, flowers, water and everything else. I have never been there but it sure makes me want to go. I'm glad you had a great time.

cq4fun said...

I'm so jealous. Ever since "Somewhere in Time", I've wanted to stay at the Grand Hotel!

Cathy said...

Love your pictures. It has been a while since I've been to Mackinaw Island. Brought back many good memories.

Thanks for sharing a new fabric shop. I'll have to stop on my next trip north.

Hugs

Terra said...

I visited Mackinac Island once, as a child, and enjoyed this stroll down memory lane. Horse drawn carriages are the best aren't they? And your friend lives there full time, how interesting.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

I think this is the first time I've seen photos of a place and wanted desperately to go there - that's how I felt seeing your pics of the island! What a stunning place!
Glad you had such a wonderful time, Allie-girl!!
Hugs
Jenny
xxx

Kathy said...

Love your pictures of Mackinac Island! I'm going there soon. What is the location of the quilt shop, and do you know if there are other quilt shops near there? I think we are going to Mackinac, then going down into Michigan near Sleeping Bear Dunes, and on to ? (the town that has the ferry that goes back to Milwaukee!) If you know of any other quilt or antique shops I should hit, please let me know! I haven't been to Michigan much.

em's scrapbag said...

So many great pics. Love the turtle and the murals. The quilt shop looks pretty amamzing.

Cheryll said...

I LoVeD my visit to the island with you! ThaNkS ! :)

Aimee said...

Oh, allie!! Thank you for all those pictures! I used to be a travel agent and have wanted to go to Mackinac Island ever since but just haven't found the opportunity. At least I got to go visually today!

John'aLee said...

What fantastic pics! Thanks so much for sharing girlie!

Marilyn said...

What an absolutely awesome place. So pleased you shared so many pics with us. It looks like the perfect little vacation, with so many memories packed into such a short time.
Thanks for sharing. I think many of us wil be putting this on our wish list of places to visit.
(No cars! peace.) Those beautiful houses and gardens, and fabulous beaches - perfect.

Wendy said...

It looks like you had a great time, the place looks fab, though I have no idea where on earth it is!! I'd love to walk on those beaches though, and into that quilt shop!

Talin's Corner said...

What beautiful pics. Some of them would make great quilts, no? It looks like you had a blast.

Talin's Corner said...

What beautiful pics. Some of them would make great quilts, no? It looks like you had a blast.

Tonya said...

I would totally forget which bike was mine and it would get lost in that parking lot!

Carol said...

Amazing, Amazing pictures! Thank you so much for taking us on vacation...I've never been to Mackinac Island but I feel like I've been there now...just AMAZING!

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

What a gorgeous Island. Looks like a very relaxing place. We have a couple Islands here that do not allow cars and they are so relaxing.

Sharon said...

Thanks for all the wonderful pix of the island!! It looks like you had a wonderful vacation.

Mama Spark said...

Love the island! Looks like you had a blast.

Carrie P. said...

Been catching up on your posts. You have been having fun.
Enjoyed the photos from your trip and the cars were so cool.
Kaaren's quilt is looking great.

Shasta said...

What a gorgeous place for a vacation! I loved each and every photo.

Tanya said...

What a pretty quilt store! I'd sure like to spend some time there!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...