Saturday, August 27, 2011

Catching Up

So, besides being sick [almost all better now, thank you!] and quilting, we've had a little excitement around here.  Thursday, my son Sam turned 17.  Not a GREAT birthday, since family couldn't come for a party or anything, but he did get to go target shooting with dad.  And he got some cash, which is what he wanted.  Oh how hard it is to buy for teenagers.

Normally, my aunt takes us all out to dinner on our birthdays.  We couldn't do it Thursday, so we did it today.  Where did Sam want to go?  To a BAR.  But not just any bar....I grew up in this one, my grandfather and I went all the time, they have THE best pizza and THE best Italian subs you've ever tasted.  If you're in the metro Detroit area, go have lunch or dinner at the Green Lantern in Madison Heights.  The pics I took inside didn't turn out, too dark, so here's Sam and Mum after we ate.

DSC04246

Yesterday, I had some errands to run, so I got them done and while on the way home, saw that a thrift shop was open - I can never catch this one open, they keep odd hours - so I stopped.  The first thing I saw when I got inside was a red chair, just like Cathy had gotten me a bit ago.  The guy had TWO, for almost the same price as Cathy had paid, so I snapped them up.  They are making me very happy, in my sewing room.

DSC04250

Come on over, we'll have a pot of tea.  That WAS my sewing table - I moved my machine to the other table, and this is my drawing and laptop table now.  I love it.

Here's where I moved my sewing machine.

DSC04251

I still have more to do in here, I need to put my mini-quilts back up on the wall, but this space is cheering me up no end.  My retro table will also serve as my cutting table.

Remember when I went to Mackinac?  Well, Liz brought me a gift that I hadn't taken pics of til today.  These are market bags, and I'm telling you I'm the most stylish shopper around now.  Thank you Liz, I really love them and how much they hold!

DSC04255

And then, Jenny did something so very sweet - she sent me this fat quarter bundle.  It's Tea Garden by Dena Fishbein - I'd never heard of her before, but I am totally in love with these fabrics.

DSC04253

Thank you darling Jenny - you are such a blessing!

Well, now I have to run - Sam told me that John just spilled an entire bottle of water on his [Sam's] laptop.  It's completely dead, not sure if we can bring it back.  I'm going to set up my old computer for him while we wait for his to dry up.  Egads.  I hope you're all having a better weekend than Sam is, lol.

31 comments:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Glad you are feeling better Allie!

Tell you son Happy Birthday. Love your red chairs....

Vicki ♥ said...

I am happy that you are feeling better sweet Allie and fancy finding two more chairs exactly like your other one!! Happy Birthday to your son too :) Hugs Vicki x

Dolores said...

Well, first off a Happy Birthday to Sam. Tell your mom I said Hi! Always nice to see her. Your table has a drop leaf! How wonderful. I'll be over for tea soon. We can ogle your stash - how nice of Jenny and Liz to spoil you.
Hopefully, the computer dries and is resurrected. Sorry Sam.

shez said...

once again a lovely post Allie i love my visits here,have a great day

paulette said...

So happy Sam had a great birthday and you are feeling better!! Your sewing room is SEW cute...very retro! I also love the fabric Jenny sent you!! Lovely gift!
P

Karen Wilson said...

You're sewing room looks fun! I wish mine looked a bit more decorative and less functional.

Looks like one of your red chairs doesn't have rubber feet on the bottom.. you might want to add some so it doesn't scratch up your nice floor! I have some vintage chairs and one of them is living in the garage because it's not allowed into the house till we put new rubber feet on it.

susan m hinckley said...

Your sewing room is absolutely darling -- I freely admit to coveting your red chairs (and the table, while we're at it...) Glad you're feeling better, Allie!

rosie said...

Happy Birthday Sam.. hope you had a wonderful day..
Your sewing room is so tidy Allie! I can't post photos of mine, I have no room left!!
Gorgeous vintage chairs and table..
Enjoy.xx

WoolenSails said...

Ask me that after the storm passes us, lol.
Looks like a good way for a teen to spend the day.

Debbie

Mary-Kay said...

Cool red chairs! My mom had the same chairs in her kitchen when I was a kid. I hope your son has a happy birthday. I think I've been to that bar before, the name sounds very familiar. I know it's not from the comic books either. But I don't remember going to a bar in Madison Heights. Must have been a good one.

Elisa said...

Love Green Lantern! Picked one up Thursday (Rochester location - parking lot is less stressful!) and finished it off this morning. yum!

Fiona said...

Lots of fun to read about today... happy birthday to Sam.. glad to see he has good taste in food!! We would get along very well.... great to have matching chairs.. and I love the bags and the fabric... excellent - you will make something great I'm sure...
Hugz

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

So pleased to read you are on the mend Allie...Happy Birthday to your boy, nice photo of him with your mum...what a find with the other two chairs...nice fabric Allie lucky you...

KaHolly said...

Glad you're feeling better, Allie. Happy Birthday to your son! Those chairs were meant to be yours! ~karen

Caron Mosey said...

Happy Birthday to Sam! Love your sewing area, and the FQ bundle.... ohhhh la la! Gorgeous!

West Michigan Quilter said...

So glad you're feeling better. You have a handsome son. Happy Birthday to him. Love your sewing room. It is so cute and so orderly!

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Happy Birthday Sam! Teens and especially boys are hard to buy for. We usually give cash or gift cards too. Feels impersonal but it's what they want.

It's funny that when you are looking for something you can never find it but once you find it or stop looking you find a couple more.

Linda said...

I love the red chairs! What a great find!
Hope the computer is okay.

Shasta said...

I am glad you are feeling better, and hope you are back to normal in no time. The chairs are a great find. Happy birthday to your son.

Marg H said...

Happy Birthday to your son - I know how hard they are to buy for! We have a 17 year old. Glad you are feeling better. Life can get very busy, can't it!

Talin's Corner said...

I love your sewing room, so retro. I really like the handbags that are hanging up to the left of your sewing machine. Cute market bags and great fat quarters. Enjoy.

joan said...

Happy Birthday to Sam. I love what you did with your space and the red chairs are so cheerful!
Stay safe.. Irene has just arrived here but not too aggressive so far:)

Michelle Ridgway said...

Well happy birthday to Sam. Hope his computer dries out and is functional again real soon. I love your retro table. Love to do some drawing there. Your new fabric is yummy.

MB in MI said...

Some of the best pizza goin'--The Green Lantern!! Yum! Love your sewing room Allie. Glad you're feelin' better!

Fleurette@ Fleur's place said...

Happy Birthday to Sam and glad that you are feeling better.Those chairs were a lucky find, a perfect match for your retro table, lovely gifts too.

Dandelion Quilts said...

What cute, cute, cute market bags and score on those red chairs! Totally cool. Don't you love celebrating family birthdays?

Carrie P. said...

Happy Belated Birthday to Sam. Oh no, the computer. Hope it is working.

How sweet of Jenny. Such pretty fabrics. Yes, those bags are so cute.

Mama Pea said...

Oh, how lucky to find two more red chairs just like that!

Love that fat quarter bundle!!!

Ivory Spring said...

WOW! What an action packed post, Allie! :)

Happy Birthday to Sam! Nice fabrics, and what a cozy sewing room!!!

Cheryl said...

So glad you are all better. Love, love those red chairs and seeing your wonderful sewing space. STINKIN' cute market bags, as well as that fabric!

Val said...

Love your sewing room and those red chairs!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...