Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Non-Productive Day

It's been storming all day, my computer has been off.  The storms here have been nothing compared to the rest of the midwest....I hope and pray all of my online friends are safe, the storms moving across the country have been so dreadful and destructive.  My heart is breaking for Joplin, MO.

Around here, things weren't nearly as bad.  Lots and lots of rain, and I listened as two transformers blew in my neighborhood this morning.  My brother's boss had just pulled into his driveway, when a bolt of lightning struck right in front of him, blew through his garage, and into his neighbor's home.  It blew all the electrical sockets out of the walls.  I don't like lightning!  Fortunately, their home didn't burn down.

Several highways and surface streets are flooded out.   Coming home, I took some pics of a local creek.  Normally, this is a beautiful park, with a tiny creek, a neighborhood ravine filled with people enjoying a lovely walk.

Not today.

DSC02968    1
DSC02966    1
DSC02972    1

The water was right at the bottom of this bridge.

DSC02971    2

Lots of homes flooded.  Nothing like the mighty Mississippi, I know, but strange for around here.

It was also my brother's birthday today.  In between storms, I took my mom grocery shopping for the birthday boy's dinner.  My mom is a diabetic, and a chocoholic - I really try to keep after her to limit her sweets.  We were walking through the store, and she mentioned the only things left on her list to get were bread and ice cream.  I said "Mom, we don't need ice cream..." - to which she replied in her best toddler tantrum voice, "If we're having cake, we MUST have ice cream".  I thought the lady next to us would wet her pants - she doubled over laughing.  And yes, she did have cake and ice cream after dinner. 

The birthday boy, who hates having his picture taken.

DSC02965    2

I cannot believe my little brother is in his forties.   Funny how everyone gets older except me.


A short movie I took of the birthday boy.

 

Friends, please stay safe this week, I know there are lots more storms to come...and so much flooding in the south.  My prayers are with all of you.  If you're in an area where you're enjoying good weather, and no local disasters, please consider donating to the Salvation Army or the Red Cross.  So many have lost so much.

And now I'm going to go visit as many of your blogs as I can, before the second [or third?  lost track] wave of storms hit.  Be good, be safe.

27 comments:

Sandra :) said...

Happy birthday, Jim! Stay safe, Allie!

I'm embarrassed to admit that I spent most of the day blog hopping and entering giveaways from the SewMamaSew May Giveaway extravaganza - I did get all the housework/house stuff done, I did my walk this morning and went out shopping tonight, but the rest of the day - BLOG HOPPING! Thank God the giveaways are pretty much over now so I can tear myself away from the computer!

BubzRugz said...

My heart is so sore for all the people... such devastation and it must be just awful just waiting for the next one.... stay safe..
Big Hugz and Happy Birthday to Allie's brother...
Hugz

Linda said...

I feel guilty that I've complained about being in a drought! I'd much rather have a drought than the storms that much of the nation has seen. My prayers are with everyone in those areas.

Fiona said...

It has been such a dreadful year world wide - My heart breaks for the loss of lives and possessions that continues to happen. Stay safe dear friend.

Hugs - Fee X

Linda said...

Cute video!! Happy bday to your bro!

Yes, sadness for Joplin.

Mr. Puffy said...

Thank you for sharing the video! It's fun to see your family and brother celebrating :) I'm just back from celebrating my Dad's birthday and love how families come together for these special times.

Hope you keep safe and dry. So much destruction everywhere these days it is overwhelming.

Cheryll said...

Oh I'm with you with well wishes for safe times for all in affected areas. What sadness these poor people have to go thru!
On a happier note... happy birthday to your bro! :)

Ivory Spring said...

Allie,

Oh my - that's a lot of water!

Happy Birthday to your brother.... I am glad to hear that you aren't going to grow old... ;) I know you aren't because your inner self is renewed everyday! :)

Dawn said...

happy birthday...to jim...Lol...great video and to hear your voice..wow... and hope everyone stays safe...take care.
hugs Dawn x x

Anne at Film and Thread said...

I hope the storms have passed you by now. The lights were flickering when we were under yet another tornado warning last night and it was such a happy thing to see them stay on! This has been a bad year for storms, but the past couple of years we have had way below normal storms for our area.

Glad you were able to have a nice birthday celebration with your brother.

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Happy Birthday Jim!!

Those storms are very scary. There has been so much weather damage this year. Stay safe.

Sue said...

Happy birthday to your brother!
It is terrible the devastation taking place across the country. I can't turn on the news, it breaks my heart so much.
We have had lots of flooding here and our basements are still leaking. Hopefully, we can get them fixed when it dries out.
Stay safe!
Hugs,
Sue

Flamingo K (aka Karen Schurr) said...

The storms are always bad, but this year seem extraordinarily worse somehow. Funny story about your mom. hope the birthday boy enjoyed his special day...it looks like it was fun. Take care, Girl. Hugs...

Caron said...

I'm sick of the rain, aren't you? It wasn't quite as bad up here in the Flint area, but I know where you are and my boys are in Waterford and Ann Arbor it was horrible. Good quilting weather, though...

Mickie said...

Happy Birthday Jim! I have a little bro named Jim too! Your flooding looks awful! Are you okay at your place? I had an unproductive day but because of a different kind of flooding........plumbing problems......well that is less money for fabric these days.
Hope you have a good day today!
Hugs, Mickie

em's scrapbag said...

Happy Bday to your brother! My little brother turned 40 this year. I agree it is funny how everyone gets older but me.
Hope you stay safe and dry.
:) Em

soggibottom said...

Been tracking your storms via the computer. Batten down and be safe. x x x
love to mom tell her Midge said hi and make sure you give her a big hug from me. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your brother .... who blew out the candles :-)X X X X X X XX X

Vicki ♥ said...

Oh my goodness....there is so much unusual weather happening around the world lately. I think Mother Nature is trying to clean it all up. Stay safe sweetie and Happy Birthday to Jim. Hugs Vicki xxx

Talin's Corner said...

I cannot get over all the damage the weather has caused recently. Hope all is well with you. I love your mom story...do they get younger?

Val said...

Happy Birthday to Jim! That is the cutest video ever! I hope this comment goes through. I haven't been able to leave many.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Lots of strange weather Allie...you keep safe.....Happy Birthday to Jim...

donna said...

Happy Birthday to your baby brother Jim. Loved your video.
Hugs
donna

Val said...

Glad you are not in the middle of any really bad weather. Funny you have to try to keep your mum in line :)

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Oh sweetheart, not you guys too! I am praying the floods abate and you are kept safe and dry. {{{hugs}}}
Happy Birthday to your baby brother!
Jenny
xx

Karen said...

We could use some of the rain here. Things have been so dry. I would not want as much as you have been having, though!

Kim D. said...

Now that's a lot of water, I hope you don't get any of those horrible storms. The lightening sounds so scary, I don't like the lightening either. I hope you get lots of stitching done this weekend.

Mama Pea said...

My baby brother's getting up there, too. It makes me feel old. Hope all is okay with you. I'm in Denver, where it's sunny! What a nice change!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...