Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Magnetic Quilted Photo Frame Tutorial

Yay, I got my April Christmas Through The Year gift done!  And I'm going to share with you how I made it.  It's easy and quick!  Forgive the pics, it got dark while I was working.

First, figure out what kind of picture you want the frame to be for - a 4x6 [which is what I used], a small school picture, etc.  For a family with schoolchildren, a school picture size would be a great gift - they could keep the frame up and just change out the picture.  I used a 4x6 so that's the size we're doing with for this tutorial.

You will need:

5x7 rectangle of plain fabric for center
4 strips of border fabric, 2 1/4 x 10 inches [I'm a little fuzzy on the length - you might not need it that long]
ribbon to coordinate with border
glue stick
fabric for binding
magnetic tape

DSC02619    2

Take your center rectangle, and fold it in half both ways and finger press.  You're finding the center of your sides.

DSC02621    2
DSC02622     2
DSC02623    2

Get your glue stick, and glue your ribbon in place from the center top to the center side, top and bottom.  The glue stick is important - pins will shift!

DSC02624    2

Now take one of your border strips and attach to a side.  Then attach the other side.

DSC02625    2
DSC02626     2

Take it over to your cutting table and trim the extra off.

DSC02627    2

Open your sides and press, being careful not to scorch your ribbon.

DSC02628    2

Next, you'll attach the top and bottom.

DSC02629    2

Trim again.

DSC02630    2

Press again.

DSC02631    2

Now you'll baste your batting and backing [I used white felt for batting!] and quilt as desired.

DSC02632   2

I kept the quilting very simple - just a wavy line around the inside seam.  Trim your edges.

DSC02633    2

 Add your binding.

DSC02635    2

Cut a piece of magnetic tape, peel off the backing, and attach to the top - you can also add a piece to each side, so the frame can be used in any direction and will hold well to your refrigerator.


DSC02637    2
DSC02638    2

Add a picture, and you're done!

DSC02640    3

Pretty easy, eh?  I'd made a couple of these years ago, and thought they would make a good gift.  Whatever size picture you use, cut your center fabric one inch bigger.  I cut mine originally 1/2 inch bigger, and had to trim my picture down.  This whole thing took me a couple of hours to make, but I was taking pictures as I went.  And I'm SLOW.

I have a correction to my last tutorial post.  For the matching bag and wallet tutorial from Gluesticks, the wallet tutorial is actually by my sweet friend Cyndi of Bluebird's Wing!  I confess I didn't click on the link before posting.  Sorry Cyndi!

Let me know if you make any of these, I would love to see them!  I think I'll be adding flowers and embellishments to some as well.  You could have some fun with them!

53 comments:

Penny said...

That's a pretty idea!

Allie said...

What a great idea--and a great tutorial!

Dolores said...

This is so cool. Thanks for the tutorial. I really should make a couple of these and I know who for too.

1foxiegrannie said...

Love these Allie :) I made some similarly for Christmas pressies last year. Thank for reminding of how timeless and elegant these are, especially for gift giving :)

BubzRugz said...

Such a clever idea... and so pretty.....
Hugz

Larissa said...

I love it! - and will definitely add these to my list of 'items to make!' Thanks for the tutorial!!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

I love it as well Allie...thanks so much...

shez said...

What a great idea Allie and thankyou for the great tutorial,well done

Lyn said...

Hello Allie, thankyou for the tutorial...fantastic idea...love it...hugs lyn

Joy said...

Allie what a fabulous idea!!! Thanks so much for sharing your tutorial, I'd love to make one of these :o).
Big hugs,
Joy :o)

Wendy said...

Thanks for the tute Allie, it looks fab!

Shiree said...

what a fabulous idea!! well done you!

Vicki ♥ said...

Thank you sweet Allie for this fabulous idea and tutorial :) I am going to have a go at making some as I think they are fabulous :) hugs Vicki xx

Melody said...

What a lovely project. Have a wonderful Easter.

Kiera said...

So pretty! Thanks for sharing! Would be perfect for a baby shower gift!

Michelle May (Shell) said...

Very fun! Love the picture in yours. Sweet!
xx, shell

Anne at Film and Thread said...

Great idea, Allie! I love how it can be custom matched to someone's decor.

Cyndi said...

Those are seriously cute, Allie! Love them. Thanks so much for taking the time to post the tutorial for us...you rock! :o)

XOXO,

Cyndi

Terry said...

That's so cute! Thanks for the idea and the tutorial! :0)

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Oh my Allie, how cute is that!! Love it, and thanks for the tutorial.

Sue said...

Oh you are so clever! And this is a great tutorial. I'm gonna try to make one of these as I just love quilted photo frames!
Thank you so much for sharing this :D

You have a great day!

Carrie P. said...

Very cute idea!

Cathy said...

What a fantastic idea. Thanks for sharing. Hugs.

Talin's Corner said...

Very pretty. I finished my gift too, can't wait to post about it.

Val said...

Oh I love it! I have got to get busy! The month is getting by quick.

West Michigan Quilter said...

Great idea! It will make the perfect Mother's Day gift. Thanks for the wonderful tutorial!

susan m hinckley said...

Smart, smart, smart! I've never seen a frame like this, and it's just darling. We're all going to be so jealous when you spend December lolling around eating chocolates while we're running around like mad trying to get things done. Well done, Allie!

Jeanette said...

Fabulous idea Allie. Be good for putting the kids latest school photo's in for my Mum. Hugs,

Sandra :) said...

I really like that! You need to add the link over on the right side of your blog ;)

Val said...

What a lovely idea. Great tutorial. Happy Easter.

Cathy said...

So cute Allie! You amaze me with your creativity!!!

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Wonderful tutorial. Great idea for Mother's Day or teacher's appreciation.

Heather x said...

What a great tutorial for a beautiful picture frame! Thanks for sharing my friend, even I could attempt one of these :)
*hugs* Heather x

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

What a great tutorial ~ you make quilting look easy :) Love the fabric you used too!

Jane (and Lou) said...

Hi, nice to 'meet' you. How very clever to posta tutorial - I want to do one on my blog, but am the world's worst photographer! Anyway, I've just had a lovely look around your blog, and I'm about to go and check out all the fab links on your blog roll! I followed for you (yay) and I will come back to visit again:) Happy Easter, Jane

Shelley said...

I love this idea...I have not seen any before!
I like that you can change the pictures.

em's scrapbag said...

What a fabulous idea! Thanks for sharing!

Kim D. said...

Very cute, congrats on the finish!

Terry said...

Howdy Allie
Happy Easter weekend to you sweetie :)
My goodness I can't believe that I have been missing from blogland for over a month now .
There is so much to catch up on !
Love your tutorial and congratulations on reaching your goal .
I am so excited to be able to get caught up with your blog again.
I have really missed coming over to visit.
Blessings and hugs from Texas
Until Next Time
Happy Trails

Cheryl said...

I LOVE THIS PROJECT!!!!! Great tutorial and yipee for you getting your April Xmas project done!! I know what I want to do, just need to get er' done!!! Great post Allie.

Miri said...

This is both easy and lovely! Thanks so much...I'll be making some of these!

sewtakeahike said...

How sweet is this??? Allie, I love this idea!!!! Thank-you so much for the tutorial, it's perfect!
I hope you and your family have a wonderful Easter!!

Pippa said...

This is wonderful-- thank you!

Sew Useful Designs said...

Hi gorgeous Allie!

Thank you so much for taking the time to create this tutorial - it's fantastic and I simply LOVE the fabrics you have chosen - so romantic!! :-)

Happy Easter my dear friend!
Hugs and love!
Vikki xoxoxo

Dorothy said...

Wonderful tutorial Allie.

Hope you and your family have had a wonderful Easter.
Hugs.

John'aLee said...

Great tutorial Allie! I've missed you! I've hardly sat at a computer in days!

Joanne Lendaro said...

That's cute!! Thanks for posting!

Mama Pea said...

Very cute idea! Thanks for the tute!

Simone de Klerk said...

How special!

Linda said...

This is such a neat project. Thank you for such a great idea and awesome tutorial!!!

Debi said...

Thanks so much for the pattern. I have made at least 2 dozen of these for gifts and everyone loves them.

kathy osterby said...

I just love the frame. Will have to make some for all the grandkids photos.

jelly andrews said...

I really love it. It is so cute. Even I am not really good at making DIY project, I want to give this a try. But I hope it will come out as lovely as yours.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...