Friday, January 21, 2011

Zero

That's what it's going down to tonight.  Z. e. r. o.  At least I'm not in International Falls, MN - where it is -46F.  I can't even imagine that, can you?  Here in my house with zero degrees outside, I can feel the cold a foot away from the wall.  I wonder what kind of insulation you'd need in Minnesota - the mind reels.  I think I would make myself quilted undies.  I wonder if I'd even get a hot flash in that kind of cold??

Keeping me warm today is a couple of gorgeous boxes that arrived from my friend Cyndi

DSC02043    2

After I picked myself up off the floor, stopped hyperventilating, popped my eyes back into my skull and put down the defibrillator, I started allocating certain fabrics for special projects.   Cyndi, thank you so much for blessing me!  I love it all - you are a sweetie!  And she even sent some sewing and crafty notions for our monthly give-aways.  Your generosity just humbles me, girl.


Last night, as I do on every Thursday evening, I went to visit my friend Shirley.  Years ago, when my boys were very small, I made painted quilts.  Shirley taught me how.  I had no fabric other than bleached muslin.  But I did have a large paint stash!  I would trace the design onto fabric with a black marker, quilt the outlines with black thread, then paint.  This is one of my original designs:

DSC02060    2

It didn't turn out at all how I wanted it to, and I never finished it.  Although I wanted to throw it away, Shirley insisted I give it to her.  Last night, she pulled it out, and I saw it with new eyes.  I had watched The Quilt Show, an episode with  Susan Carlson called Painting With Fabric the other night.  She uses small pieces of fabric [I mean REALLY small] in a collage technique to make stunning quilts.  I took pics of my old quilt, and I'm going to re-make it with all fabric pieces, changing the design some.  I'm kind of excited to see how I can change it and make it all new.  I think this will be a really fun project!

Today, I played with these, matching them to the fabrics for my bookmarks.

DSC02083    2

Got some bookmarks put together, but something is wrong with my machine's fix stitch - the stitch that locks at the beginning and end of your seam.  It nests on the underneath side.  Since you can see both sides of these, it looks bad, so I'm going to try something else.  Hm....seems to be a theme here, lol.   I did try locking the stitches using the reverse button, but I'm truly awful at getting it to reverse exactly where I want it to.  I think I can get no-sew fusible, and fuse them together, and not have to stitch them.  Of course, that will involve going outside to get the fusible.....hm.....


The next two pics are for Midge.  Well, the tree is for Midge, the pic of Abby is for Amie, her gorgeously adorable little pupster.  The tree is outside my sewing room window.

PICT0042    1
DSC02086    3
Midge and I are waiting anxiously for spring.  And Abby just wanted to say "hey Amie!" and send kisses.

How are your Christmas gift projects going?  It would appear that I'll be finishing mine on the 31st.  At least it will be January 31st, and not December 31st. 

37 comments:

BubzRugz said...

I'm not surprised you hyperventilated.... what a wonderful parcel... you deserve it....
Hugz

Cyndi said...

Oh gosh, Allie, didn't want to make your hyperventilate! Glad you had that defibrillator handy! :o)

I LOVE your Island Dance painted quilt - it's fabulous! And I don't blame Shirley for wanting it. You have so much talent, Allie. I can't wait to see how you re-invent it.

Sorry about your fix stitch. I've never even heard of one of those. It's forward, reverse, forward for me!

Have a great weekend, and stay warm!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Cyndi said...

P.S. I just checked the temperature here... it's -14 degrees. Yes, that's MINUS 14! And that's actual temperature, not wind chill. No wonder I feel so cold! Hurry up, Spring!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Melody said...

Hi Allie,
It's been hot today here on the other side of the world.
What a fabulous parcel of goodies. Lucky you.

CJ said...

Zero isn't bad at all, but -46 uhhhh, that is a bit chilly for me. Actually I find that once we go below freezing here there really is no difference unless it is windy. If it is dry and calm many times I go out with a light-ish fleece jacket and MAYBE gloves. The damp and the wind are the killers for me.
Just finished machine quilting quilt #2, alas I have not worked on any Christmas gifts - yet.
Stay warm!

Fleurette@ Fleur's place said...

That fabric is just gorgeous, what a wonderful surprise! Your island quilt is beautiful, can't wait to see the new design. While you are freezing we are sweltering 32-40C.
stay warm!

Anne at Film and Thread said...

That is quite the stash enhancement you got. What a sweet gift.

I'm going to be so excited to see how you remake that painted quilt. It really has such a wonderful design that I'm glad you pulled it out and are thinking about it again.

Dolores said...

Well, last night I heard on the news that the coldest spot in the whole of North America was Duluth Minnesota -47.
We are cold up here but not even close to that.
Love the addition to your stash and I'm glad that you are saving your Island Dance to re-make it. I think it's really nice. Have you thought of perhaps outlining in black?
BTW, my mom never had a back stitch - she picked up her fabric and reversed it in the beginning of everything she made and then moved/slid her fabric back to stitch straight.

Shasta said...

Brr. That is a nice box of goodies - so many pretty fabrics. Your painted quilt is beautiful, and I am sure your snippet rendition will be gorgeous.

Shasta said...

Oh and since I don't have a fix stitch, and the reverse button doesn't work, I just use a very small stitch at the beginning and end of my work. Usually I keep the stitch length as is, and hold on to the fabric to make a tinier stitch.

Terry said...

Love all the fabrics you got! And your Island Dance quilt is really beautiful! It was -9 here this morning. I want spring!!! LOL

West Michigan Quilter said...

What a wonderful surprise. Did Cindy send this for the monthly give-aways? Are you making something special? Whatever, she is a jewel!. Love your Island Girl. She is so cute and you did a great job. Stay warm. It's cold on this side of the state too! Mom and I are always sitting under a quilt!

Phyllis in Minnesota said...

Why do you think we Minnesotans make so many quilts?? It's cold up here and of course it gives us something to complain about because in the summer it can be very hot and humid.
Keep on quilting, Phyllis

soggibottom said...

Poor Abby, looks like you woke her up.... they are always snapin and wakein me up..... Abby babe I'll send you some cookies to compensate.
luv AMIE SOTO BLOSSOM :-) x x x

soggibottom said...

You were going to trash that great design.. ?

Your tree looks really healthy, it's such a beautiful shade of pink, reminds me of roses. What a beautiful tree, better than looking at cows in the field out of my bedroom window. If I'm quick and spot it there's also the odd fox :-) :-) :-) X X X

Sandra :) said...

WOW it's a "balmy" 13F (-10C) here - a heatwave, compared to Inernational Falls, lol!

Lovely box of fabric, and Island Dance is gorgeous - I went to your Flickr album and looked at the large size - WOW!

You could try using a very short stitch at the beginning and end of the stitching - that will secure the seam :) Also, if you hold the thread tails to the side when you start a seam it will help eliminate nesting :)

Darlene said...

ZERO!!!!! Oh my that's definitely cold. :-) I love the cold and miss it terribly but at zero I'd be wishing for a hot flash. LOL

Sweet box of goodies from Cyndi - enjoy, Allie.

Your painted quilt is fabulous - you're incredibly talented.

Talin's Corner said...

OMG! I think I would have fainted if I opened that package. I was in Vermont a few days ago and I stopped in the Stowe Quilt and Yarn Shop to find next month's gift. I am so excited, it's a chicken pin cushion using the log cabin block. I cannot wait for February to arrive...if I can wait that long.

Carrie P. said...

What a great bundle of fabric you got. And how generous of Cyndi.

I think you live in the wrong place. You just love the tropics and I can see that in so many of your projects. I think adding fabric to your painted project is going to be a neat idea.

Have you tried rethreading your machine? Sometimes I will have the nest problem, I always rethread first to see if that helps and sometimes it does.

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

What pretty fabric you got - Enjoy! Looking forward to see your painted quilt redone. Stay warm and have fun with those bookmarks (pretty ribbon)!

Mama Spark said...

What a wonderful friend you have, very generous. I will be looking forward to your "new" quilt too.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Quilted undies......????...interesting.. gorgeous box of goodies there Allie..love our Island Dance...no doubt about you, you can put your hand at anything...I hope to be able to squeeze in a Christmas finish before the end of the month...

Debbie said...

That's a lot of great fabric, Allie! Cyndi really is a good friend. Can't wait to see photos of your new/old quilt design.

Cheryl said...

OMW.....I almost fainted looking at all that wonderful fabric you received!! I had a good laugh over your hot flash comment...speaking from experience I'm thinking yes to still having a hot flash at that temp!! Love, love your Island quilt and can't wait to see what you add.

Khris said...

Cydni is a real darling isn't she. So giving...hugs Khris

Kim D. said...

Such pretty fabrics, how nice of Cyndi to send them off to you. Burrr... I think I'd freeze if I had to go back to the cold country in winter. It doesn't take long to get acclimated to the heat. Your painted quilt is impressive, I'm surprised you didn't like it. You have so much talent and you truly are an artist. I can't wait to see how your second quilt turns out in collage. Cute photo of Abby!

Lyn said...

Hello Allie, what a lovely gift from Cyndi....hmmm not keen on such cold weather you are having...I think all the clothes would have to be quilted....grin...I hope to learn how to paint on cloth this term at the lps....love your painted quilt...hugs lyn

Val said...

I loved seeing your gifts! And it is so cold there! I wouldn't be leaving the house. And I love your painted quilt. I have nver heard of that. You are so good at everything you do. I am getting a lot of UFo's finshed!!!

Linda said...

Nice package!! Wow!! I can't wait to see what you make! Could Abby be any sweeter?? Too cute!

Wendy said...

oh dear oh dear oh dear. Never come to live in England if you find zero cold. And certainly don't even consider moving to Poland where the winters I was there it was -20F every day!!
Can I have your friend Cyndi??
I've only got one present done, still some work to do!

susan m hinckley said...

Welcome to the North Pole, Allie! I can't wait to see what you do with that fun painted quilt . . . it should help you work up some creative energy, and hopefully keep you warm! (Thanks for the blossom shot -- just the thing today.)

Loralynn said...

It's always interesting to see some of your own old projects. You do see them through new eyes, because you have changed since then. How cool that it has inspired you to "re-do" it in a slightly different fashion!

Mama Pea said...

Love your dog! I can't wait to see what you do with your art piece. I saw that episode of TQS also. I'm ready for spring! This cold weather is quite enough. But it could be a lot worse, as you say!

John'aLee said...

I'm trying to not feel guilty being here in sunny Arizona...swimming outside and wearing short sleeves. Tee hee!
The quilt is great and what a fabulous gift. We all should do this more...bless our friends with parcels of fabric from our stash.
Have a great day!

Michelle said...

That Cyndi is a sweetie! Lucky you!!!

Jennifer said...

oh I love dat baby!!!

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Honest girl, you just OOZE da talent!!! :-)
You are blessed, just as you ARE a blessing...
Love
Jenny
xxx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...