Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Fail

Good evening my friends.  Remember my great project I was doing a tutorial for?  Remind me not to do that anymore, at least without finishing the project first.  It was going to be a table runner, then somehow morphed into a table topper.  And it's Awful. 

PICT0048    2

Me and my big mouth.  I do like the trees, and I do think they'd work just fine if I'd chosen a different background.  AND shape.  Table runner is what those trees need, not a big fat square.  After I'd agonized over it for hours last night, it dawned on me that my mum and I are baking for Christmas, and everyone is getting food gifts - including the person I'd tried to make this for.  So, back to work on other things.  Meanwhile, I'll share how I made the trees, it's easy and I think they would look cute on a card.

First, find your greens.  They don't have to match.  Cut strips 1 1/2 inches, 1 3/4 inches, and 2 inches.  My strips were from 14" to 18" long.

PICT0030    1

Arrange them on your design wall in an order that pleases you - I went from light to dark, sort of.  Start sewing them together.

PICT0034    2

 Press - I press the seams open, it lays better.

PICT0036    2

Now it's time to make some trees.  Draw a straight line on a sheet of paper, or directly onto your fusible web.  You're going to draw 3 lines, not equal - 2 longish ones and one to connect them at the bottom.  Alternatively, you could add fusible to the whole piece, then free cut your trees.

PICT0041    2

PICT0042    2
PICT0043    2

 Cut them out [not on the line yet!] and fuse to the wrong side of your pieced fabric, following manufacturer's instructions.  Make sure you change the angle and direction to make them wonkier.

PICT0044    2

Now cut them out on the line, and arrange them in a PLEASING formation on your background.  Um, somehow I totally didn't do this.

PICT0039     2

Then blanket stitch in place.

PICT0046    2
If your machine doesn't have a blanket stitch, you can do them by hand, but that would defeat the purpose of being fast and easy.  I've done applique with just about every stitch on my machine, including straight stitch.

Now - I'm envisioning these trees on fabric cards.  I'm going to try a few, and add some decorative stitching to look like garland.  I can also see them on a table RUNNER, with a light blue background and some curvy white fabric to look like snow. 

The reason I showed you my failure, is so you know that everything doesn't always work out perfectly, and that's ok.  Unless it's Christmas time and you're swamped.  Then it's not ok.  The star in the middle?  I was mimicking the one in the background fabric, somehow I thought it would show up bolder - tried ribbon, but couldn't sew it on straight.  I forgot to lengthen my stitch, and it puckered.

Quilting and designing are both learning processes.  What can I say - it's better than trigonometry, right?  Now will someone please pass the chocolate.....

42 comments:

Cindy said...

(passes a chocolate mint truffle)

Terry said...

I do love those trees! Would you prefer milk or dark chocolate?

Val said...

I love those trees!!! Thanks for showing us how to do that.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Great cards in the making :-) The trees sure look fun.

Anonymous said...

Hi

Why not turn it into a Tree Skirt. With a red binding I think it would look pretty good, could also embelish with beads etc to catch the lights from the Christmas Tree.

Wendy

Aimee said...

I know it's frustrating to have a vision and not see it come to fruition, but I personally like it like this! Forge on! :) Plus, these little square ones look great on the back of a big chair or on top of an ottoman.

Joy said...

Allie the trees are a fabulous idea ... and I also like Wendy's thought about turning it into a tree skirt!!! I can just see it with the splashes of red ric rac ... I reckon it would look great!!
Love n hugs,
Joy :o)

Ivory Spring said...

Allie, I don't see anything awful about it! I love love love it!!!

BubzRugz said...

yes.... well - we all have those (mine is in the back of a cupboard), very lovely trees.... you could salvage it into lovely Christmas bunting....
Hugz

sunny said...

I love the trees. Thanks for showing us how you made them.

Michelle said...

Most of us aren't even brave enough to try our own designs. It may not be exactly what you had in mind, but the success is in the creativity.

Kim said...

Allie it really isn't a failure. I think you could just add a few holly leaves and berries a few snowflakes....could become something entirely unique.

Fleurette@ Fleur's place said...

I love the trees!

Sharon said...

It's not really a "fail" if you learn something from it, you know! LOL

They're very cute trees! I think the tree skirt idea is a good one. But they would be darling on a tablerunner or cards too. Keep going with this idea - it'll get better! And thank you for sharing how you made them!

Oh yeah, chocolate will definitely help too!

Heather x said...

I love the trees too Allie....not to sure about the spotty background though....I suppose thats the hardest part isn't it, choosing a backing that emphasises the trees without being too dark that you lose them....I'm afraid this is where I would fail, I am hopeless at matching fabrics :)
*hugs* Heather x

quilthexle said...

Allie, I can hear your frustration (and here's some chocolate - I like mine dark, what about you???) but I would like to second what some others already wrote: it is not a failure! You tried something - and you're not too happy with the result. First, your trees are lovely, and thanks for sharing how you did them! Second, in a week or so - you'll be happy you tried it and you'll realize what you learnt from it. And - than you could try again, and I can't wait to see that new attempt! Take care, Frauke

clare's craftroom said...

Well I learnt how to make your cute trees so thanks very much !

Anne at Film and Thread said...

I love that background fabric and love the idea of this. I wonder how it would look if you added an inner border of the green between the star and the trees to add contrast?

It sure gives comfort to those of us who lack your talent to know that we don't need to feel too terrible when our efforts aren't as successful as we want.

Happy cooking!

Carrie P. said...

Allie the trees are so cute. I like the idea of turning it into a tree skirt depending on how big it is.
I can envision it as a table runner with a forest of trees on both sides.
I know you will figure it out.

Cyndi said...

Oh Allie, bless you, my friend! Thank you for sharing this project that you think turned out less than perfect...I needed that to put things into perspective for myself! :o) But I think the trees are adorable and I love the whole idea of the table runner. And I do think they would look spectacular as a card, too!

My neighbor just returned from Hawaii and brought me chocolate covered Macadamia nuts...I'm passing some over to you now! :o)

XOXO,

Cyndi

West Michigan Quilter said...

Allie, I love what you have done. Thanks for the tutorial for the trees. I like Wendy's idea of binding it in red and turning it into a tree skirt. Don't give up. It's beautiful!

Dolores said...

Thanks for the tutorial. Sorry your project didn't work out as you had hoped but leave it for a couple of days - inspiration may hit.

Shasta said...

It is still a great idea though. Yesterday, I saw a Christmas tree skirt. The triangle trees were much bigger, and all the same shape, and they went all around the square - I think it was square and not octagonal. I'm sorry I can't remember the site, but I think she was selling the pattern.

Shasta said...

I really like what you have done so far. I just think it needs something in the middle, maybe something circular-ish, like an ornament?

Shasta said...

or folk art people skating around in the pond?

Dandelion Quilts said...

I'll share a truffle too! I love the trees...

Mickie said...

Allie, great idea! i think if you added green strips to two sides of the square, you would have a nice rectangle. Anyway, thanks for the idea!!!!

susan m hinckley said...

I'm not willing to call it a failure -- just add it to the "unfinished pile" (maybe I'm making a big assumption, but I certainly have one!) LOVE the trees! Maybe you could trim away much of the background and use them in another way? Have some more candy, and surely you'll have a stroke of genius. Happy baking!

Mama Spark said...

I love the trees. Great idea! Why not use this piece for wrapping up the gift of food for someone??

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

I LOVE your trees and the idea of using them on cards!

I also like it as a table topper but if you aren't happy with that then maybe with a backing it would make a nice tree skirt?

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Hon, they are such clever trees!! I agree about the tree skirt...this would be perfect!!
Hugs
Jen
xxx

Mary-Kay said...

I think it looks great! Did you actually put it on a table? You would see the trees along the edge and if you put a centerpiece in the middle, it would tone down your background. You could also applique some frosty looking snowflakes in the center. Just a thought or two.

soggibottom said...

Excellent tutorial. :-)
I also love the greens you have used. It's a bit of a long story why I never use green in material, but there is green and green. Love the bright ones :-) x x x

Quiltluver said...

Great idea and I love the colors. Since you went to the work of sewing around the trees, why not cut them apart and make some wonky blocks out of them? Maybe add some log cabin like strips. You could then sew them together to make something different.

Cheryl said...

Allie I LOVE the trees and the topper. I see a pretty little Xmas tree in the middle and plates of goodies around it for a party, with the sweet trees dancing around the edge!! Thanks for showing us how to make the trees.

Shari said...

The tree tutorial is fantastic! And your little table topper is not necessarily a disaster - put something different in the middle = like big red presents or an applique star... once something is quilted and bound it all looks different!

Liz said...

I do love the trees!

Lauranie said...

You are so silly...OF COURSE it is NOT a failure!! It is just inspiration in the making!! :) I love the trees! Thanks for the tutorial!! xo

Shasta said...

I was thinking of this one, I think, but there is another one that extended the strips all the way to the center.
http://poppyprintcreates.blogspot.com/2010/11/marvelous-day-for-tree-skirt.html

Talin's Corner said...

Still love those trees and they seem fairly easy to make. I think they would look great on cards.

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

I'm sorry Allie - I cannot send cyber chocolate - because I love the table topper! I think it's wonderful - you're so creative! And thank you so much for the tree tutorial - so very cute! But seriously - you should put that on your kitchen table - very festive!!! Okay - I'm sending cyber chocolate anyway - for the great tutorial though!

JJ said...

I totally love this and dont think this is a fail at all!!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...