Monday, November 8, 2010

Things And....Stuff And....Hmmmm

I wonder if authors have a hard time coming up with THEIR titles.  I finished the baby quilt, and wouldn't you know, only got one picture.

PICT02858791421587584514

That's my mom peeking out over the top.  Not the best pic but you've seen pieces of it before.  Mum is 5'2, so the quilt is a good size.  All washed and wrinkly, ready to hug a baby.  And here's the proud mum-to-be, Danielle, with her little niece....

PICT0286789451564653

Hard to believe I've known her since she was born, and now she's ready to be a mum herself!  Isn't she a beauty?  She was very happy with the quilt.  My mom had made some crocheted afghans, and a crocheted dress, with a beautiful crocheted bib - and some lady latched onto her and got her name and number, might want some commissions!  I wish I had a pic of what my mom made, I'll try to get some when I go visit.

And now the books I've been wanting to tell you about.  I had won the give-away over at the lovely Joanne's, the $25 gift certificate to I Have a Notion - talk about happy!!!  I got this book that I've been wanting since it came out:

PICT0279  4654688877

You see where it says no rules, no ruler?  Is that my kind of quilting or what!
Joanne and Kelly, thank you SO much - I'm just thrilled with this book!  And as always, the service from Kelly can't be beat!

The other books I wanted to tell you about I got from the library.  Here are two of them, the camera died before I could take pics of the third.

PICT028164545777858424245

I am so, so in love with Gwen Marston's quilts.  Quite some time ago, Mary from Mary's Quilting Notes was  clearing out her stash, and sent me half a ton of solid color fabrics.  Well, ok, not half a ton - I exaggerate - but close.  I've been looking for THE project ever since, and I think I've found it.  There are quite a few quilts I'd like to try in these books, but I think what has amazed me so much is how many of the quilts are showing up around blogland right now.  They're called something different, but they're the same quilts!  Both of these books are on my permanent "must get" list.

The third book is Stitched So Cute from Mary Engelbreit.  Folks, it's Mary's pictures, STITCHED.  With just basic stitches, or applique, and colored in with markers [I'd used colored pencils].  And my teeny tiny library had it!  It's now also on my permanent list.

I think that's all for now, I guess I'll go read blogs - I way overdid it at the Y today, rode the recumbent bike for over four miles.  And yes, I'm paying for it.  I've decided I have to stay off the treadmill as my right foot is not happy with me, which stinks because I LOVE the treadmill.  It has handles so I can hang on and not fall down, lol.  Can't do that outside!  Be well and happy, find something that makes you giggle!

19 comments:

Mary-Kay said...

What a cute baby quilt! And great book choices. I'd love to get my hands on that Piece of Cake book.

Allie said...

The quilt is adorable! I'm sure it will be loved.
I can't wait to see the pictures of your Mom's crocheting.
I don't really have any quilt books, but I've been wondering about getting a Gwen Marston.

Melody said...

I just love that baby quilt, gorgeous

Terry said...

That quilt came out great! Love the books too! :0)

Joanne Lendaro said...

Great quilt Allie!! Hi Mom!!

Glad you got something you really wanted from Kelly, and yep, she is the best!

Anne at Film and Thread said...

The blocks with the embroidery really make that quilt so special. Plus, I like that it is big enough that the baby can use it for years.

Lucky you having a library that stocks good quilting books.

Dolores said...

Wonderful quilt Allie. I hope you get photos of what your mom made. Great finds on the books. Looks like you'll be busy for quite some time.

Cyndi said...

The baby quilt came out beautifully, Allie, and I'm sure Danielle loved it. And yes, she is an absolutely beautiful girl...I bet her baby is going to be beautiful, too!

Are you looking for new books or used? We have some great used bookstores around here and I could be on the lookout for your books for you if you don't mind used.

XOXO,

Cyndi

West Michigan Quilter said...

Love your quilt. The mum to be looks too young to be a mum! I love that book about applique. Lucky you! Congratulations!

Rebekah said...

I have the hardest time coming up with titles too...

The quilt turned out beautifully and I'm so glad the mom to be liked it!

Carrie P. said...

Congrats on your finish. So glad the new mom liked but who wouldn't.
Great books.

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Oh Allie - I just love your quilt - and what a sweet recipient! Can't wait to see the things your mom made too. And thanks for sharing on the books - can't wait to see your pretty new projects (smile)!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Love the picture of your Mom ~ such a good sport :))) Beautiful quilt for the new baby!

Sharon said...

The baby quilt turned out great! I love the colors!

Sharon said...

The baby quilt is just beautiful! I love your stitching on it - that really makes it special.

Glad to see you're headed to the "wonky side" - hee hee! It's fun here. I've not seen that Piece O'Cake book - I'll have to look for it. It looks like it could be fun. Yes, Gwen has inspired many quilters lately, and for good reason! Her quilts are fun to make!

LOL - "handles so I can hang on and not fall down" - you sound like me! Be good to yourself, Allie!

susan m hinckley said...

I just got off Amazon where I was adding books to my cart at an alarming pace . . . now I guess I need to try to squeeze in a few more!

Ivory Spring said...

The quilt is darling, Allie!!
And the books look most interesting!!!

soggibottom said...

Lucky little babe to be hugged in your quilt Allie. :-) x x

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

The baby quilt is a beauty Allie...you have done a fantastic job...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...