Sunday, November 28, 2010

Busy Week Ahead

Hi everyone!  I hope my American friends are recovered from all the turkey and shopping happening this past weekend.  I only did a bit of shopping - my cutting mat had worn out, and Joann Fabric had them half off, so I got a new one.  Bonus, it is marked on both sides, so it will last twice as long.  'Bout time they thought of that one, eh?

I'm working on a new design for you.  It was born out of a need for a gift, for someone who needs nothing.  However, she has just moved, so mum and I decided a holiday table runner would be quick and easy.  I'll have that for you early in the week, I hope.  It's pieced applique, using fusible for a quicker finish.

Jeff [hubby] and John went to their very first hockey game tonight, to see our beloved Red Wings play.  John bought the tickets for Jeff's birthday last week.  And of course our Wings won.  [They're first in the league].  The boys took pics, but they came out so terribly that I think my chances of a new camera for Christmas might be good.  My camera can take good close-ups, in ideal lighting, but outside and apparently sports arenas come out awful.  So if you have a favorite all-purpose camera, let me know in the comments!

I wanted to share a pic that Sue sent me.  She made a Lemon Tree pillow and I love it!


I really love the lemon yellow backing.  Great job, Sue!

Tomorrow, I'm taking my friend from Florida back to the airport.  I read something that pretty well disgusted me the other day....you know those pat-downs they do for security?  Well, it turns out they do not change gloves with every passenger.  So if the person in front of you has lice [or worse], or some kind of open wound, or an infectious disease, it's going to get wiped all over YOU.    Remember, they check inside the waistband of your underwear!  Some of the security people carry extra gloves in their pockets - um, not quite sanitary - so if I were to fly, and had to do the pat-down, I would insist on clean gloves from the box.  These people aren't trained in medical procedures, and the gloves are only to protect them.  Not you.  Mum will be flying in December, and can't go through the scanner - she'll have to have the pat-down.  Being in fragile health, I've already told her to insist on clean gloves. 

I think I can safely say I'll never fly again.  I've been avoiding it anyway - too claustrophobic the last time - but going through all of this is just too much.  Safer?  Don't you believe it.  Follow the money and you'll see why these scanners are in place.  And that's all I'll say about that.  You can thank me.  Seriously - I could go on, and on, and on.....but I won't.

I found my pile of vintage transfers [under all the projects I have going on] and remembered that I was going to upload them for you.  So I'm hoping to get to that too - oh golly I have so many things going at the moment!  There is fabric everywhere, in piles according to projects, every surface is covered with drawings, thread snips and floss all over.  I can't turn around without tripping on something, and I keep stubbing my toes on a pile of books on the floor next to my computer. I really have no business being on the computer, lol - so I'll say good night and sweet quilty dreams, see you in a couple of days!

16 comments:

Joanne Lendaro said...

Love the pillow, and the yellow backing is over the top!! Sounds like you are busy as ever, and had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Just don't like the think about the airport thing....ick!!

Anne at Film and Thread said...

What a great idea to make a pillow with your lemon tree pattern. It really turned out beautifully.

I agree about the airport situation. I'm glad I don't have to fly much because I don't believe the scanners add anything to security except a lot of expense that could be spent targeting people who want to kill us.

I hope you get a new camera for Christmas!!! There are some fantastic options right now. Crossing my fingers for you.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Cute pillow. The airport security thing is really un-nerving. Not only the pat down, but the xray exposure is too much. Which accumulates in your body and can result in health issues later in life. Hoping I don't have to do any flying any time soon. What did we do before flying became so accessible? We drove everywhere ;-)

Carrie P. said...

The pillow is very nice indeed.
Glad the guys team won. I be that was exciting to go to his first game.
I flew once and hated it and will never do it again.
Can't wait to see the transfers you will be sharing. You know I love to embroider too.

Dolores said...

Glad you were able to get a new cutting mat. I hardly ever use the gridded side. Only in a pinch do I even think about it. It sits permanently on my table - unless I do other stuff.
Talk about the pat downs - I heard a not-too-nice story of a lady who had to prove that she had had a mastectomy by removing her prosthetic breast.
http://www.bioportfolio.com/search/Tsa-Airport-Search-Mastectomy-Remove-Prosthesis.html

'Nuff said!

Mary-Kay said...

I wish I would have noticed the mats on sale. It's always good to have a new one on hand. As for flying, I think i'll be driving everywhere from now on. It's not like I'm going overseas any time soon, more like never!

Val said...

That pillow is darling. I so agree with you about flying. I hope that I never have to again either (not that I have too much anyway).

Shasta said...

That is a beautiful pillow, and I definitely want to do the pattern sometime soon.
That airport security thing is definitely scary, and it is amazing how carried away they are getting with it. Luckily, I don't have to go anywhere anytime soon, and hopefully by then, they will have calmed down a bit.

susan m hinckley said...

How fun to have so much creativity going on! I'll bet it's wonderful to see your designs popping up in other people's work -- love the pillow!

Cyndi said...

Wow, you really do have a lot going on, Allie! I agree with everything you said...especially the airport security stuff. Ugh! I had no idea. Jeff and I will be going to Louisiana for Christmas this year, but we're driving for a change! I'm really glad after reading your post!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Sharon said...

The pillow is adorable! She did a great job!
I hope never to have to fly again either. First, I don't like heights and second, I don't want to go through a scanner or a pat down. I'll drive or take a train if I have to go anywhere.
Can't wait to see what you're dreaming up!

BubzRugz said...

Lovely pillow... and looking forward to your new project.... I need to fly (not often) to see my darlings.... I take a pill and whatever happens worries me less!!!!! Ah-oh....
Hugz

West Michigan Quilter said...

Love the pillow. Anxious to see the tablerunner. The rush in on! Weekends are crazy the rest of the year. Take care.

kasthurirajam said...

pretty work

Michelle said...

Sue's lemon tree pillow is fantastic! It's a great pattern. :-)

Talin's Corner said...

Pillow looks great. And I am now a bit concerned about traveling.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...