Sunday, November 21, 2010

Break Time Is Over

Gosh, I hated those words when I worked.  Fortunately, I'm retired.  Not really, but I like saying it.  I had a bumper sticker on my car that said "I'm retired, go around me".  People used to ask me how I could retire so young [I retired from working OUTSIDE of the home when my oldest was born] and they no longer ask.  It stings a bit.

My break time was totally unproductive.  Well, not totally - it just didn't work the way it was supposed to.  I spent two days raking leaves at my mom's.  [Not a good idea, with fibro and arthritis...]  The boys did most of it the first day, but then one of the traitors young men decided to go someplace with dad, and I had to rake and bag 9 large bags with my younger son.  Running my mom around and visiting friends that just flew into town took up the rest of the time.  NO sewing was done, at all.  I'm very thankful for my mum and I love my friends too, I guess I didn't pick a good week to take a break!

I did remember to take a pic of those solids I got from Sue's shop.

kona solids

A Liberated quilt will come from these and the fabric Mary sent me.  I just can't stop petting them.

We've not finalized our Thanksgiving plans yet.  We don't have a working oven at the moment, so I know I won't be hosting the big event - we'll probably go to my mum's.  I need to get a turkey Monday.  How are your plans going? 

I'm working on a new design.  This one will be secret though.  Until after Christmas.  I'm trying to get very serious with designing.  I have so many things in my head and I'd love to get them into fabric.  I'm finding it very satisfying to create something that's never been created before - the whole process of creating is giving me a reason to get up in the morning.  When I'm working on something, I don't notice any pain or discomfort, and when I don't have time to work I find myself getting very stressed.  It's like a drug but without the nasty side effects.  Too bad I can't bottle it, I'd make a fortune.

Have a good and safe week, find something to be thankful for!

25 comments:

Caron said...

Love the colors! What's that orange called? Is it "school bus"?

Val said...

Oh welcome back! It was not the same without you! I would come here and check and you still weren't there. I had to get up early this morning to put my turkey on. All of the kids are coming over today because hubby & I will be spending Thanksgiving at the Sparta Hilton. I can't wait to see what you are working on next. Love you, glad you are back.

Melody said...

Welcome back, I'm looking forward to seeing your new design when it is ready.

Terry said...

Sorry your break didn't go according to your plan. That's pretty much the story of my life! LOL Can't wait to see your new designs! :0)

West Michigan Quilter said...

Welcome back. Missed you. Can't wait to see your new design. Designing is better than drugs, isn't it.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

awww, just admit it, you missed us ;-)

Mary-Kay said...

There's no such thing as a break when you have children and aging parent(s). My vacation week was spent driving my youngest son around every day and the whole weekend. But I had some stitching to take along with me and that made it all okay.

Anne at Film and Thread said...

Allie, I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with lots of time to play.

I am betting that you have a design that is going to be published! You are so creative and do such beautiful work that you should be in print so everyone could see and enjoy.

Darlene said...

I'm sorry your plans were spoiled - dagnabbit. Love the solids - very pretty colors.

Happy Thanksgiving, Allie!

Kim D. said...

Allie, So sorry that you suffer from Fibro and Arthritis. I can relate to the arthritis and I have 2 dear friends who suffer from Fibro. So I feel for you. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Enjoy your design time, I know I'm happiest too when I'm in my sewing room designing.

Cathy said...

Hi Allie,
If body and spirit could just agree! But most the time they don't...I know!~
I can't wait to see your designs. I found myself drawing a design today. It is fun.
God bless you my friend, and I understand the conflict between family and friends and what we'd like to do with the little energy we have! God bless you!

Vicki ♥ said...

Hi sweet Allie :) Welcome back and I am sorry your time off wasnt what you wanted to do. I look forward to your new designs..sounds very interesting. Wish there was a cure for Fibro and Arthritis...horrible things and its no good that you suffer with the pain .....hugss and take care and just dont overdo it. Hugs Vicki xx

Michelle said...

What pretty colors! I can't wait to see your designs.

Jenny of Elefantz said...

You are wonderfully talented, Allie...I'm so pleased to hear that you are finding such joy in designing!
Hugs
Jenny
xx

Michelle said...

Sorry your week didn't work out as planned.

So wonderful designing takes you away from the fibro pain. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Those fabrics look highly pettable. :-)

Cyndi said...

Hey Allie! So glad you're back. And don't worry about not getting any sewing done during your break...sometimes you just have to let life's "other stuff" creep in! :o)

I just bought a bunch of Kona solids, too, but forgot to label the colors! :o( Oh well...live and learn.

Hope you and your family have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving. And if you're like me...you'll be sewing on Black Friday and staying away from the malls!

XOXO,

Cyndi

susan m hinckley said...

Thankful you're back! (and for my new oven . . .)

And of course, thankful that you're designing -- can't wait to see what you come up with, Allie!

Victoria said...

You know, I'm the same way..., feeling wonderful while I work, but very stressed and extra achy when I can't get to it.

Shasta said...

It doesn't sound like you had much of a break, but at least you got some quality family time in! Your project sounds intriguing - you're right, there is a lot of enjoy in creating something.

Lori in South Dakota said...

Laughed at the post about retiring and break time. One time YEARS ago a teacher told me "I put you on a committee to do _____ because you DON'T WORK! My husband wanted to know if I "corrected" him. At the time I had a toddler, we farmed, milked cows, etc. Oh yeah--I had LOTS of spare time to "drink tea and eat bon bons". So I can understand all that "free time" you have!

And--I found the pattern for that block you admired on Tanya's blog--it's called "Cherry Rose" and its on the book I just pictured on my blog. Oh, we had turkey over the weekend, I'm voting for grilled steak on Thursday!

Talin's Corner said...

Well, I am happy to say that I am having Thanksgiving. I love to bake and spend the day with family. I always buy a Butterball turkey, but this is the first year that I bought a fresh one. My fingers are crossed that it will turn out as it has in the past.

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Ivory Spring said...

Allie,

Love those fabrics! Have fun designing - I always love seeing your design!!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

That's a lot of leaves!!! I enjoy kicking leaves in the Fall but not so much raking them up ;) I do love the smell of them burning, but think that's illegal now :( You certainly can't do it where I live now - but in Indiana it is probably different.

Have a lovely Thanksgiving - hope you go to your Mum's where you can look out at the leaf free view and enjoy a tasty Turkey!

Carrie P. said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. Hope you have a good one. We are going to a restaurant this year since my boys and their wives won't be here this year. So it will be me, my hubby, and daughter.
Can't wait to see your new design.

Mama Spark said...

Mine has not been as productive as I had hoped either but I hope to make that change today and tomorrow since I have to go back to work on Monday. Having a week off makes it tough to go back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...