Sunday, October 17, 2010

Time Goes By

And way too fast, I might add.  I realized the other day that I only have a bit of time to make a baby quilt - the shower is coming up, and I didn't have a plan.  I did my usual frantic scramble through my dwindling stash, and found some fabric that I had cut last time my machine was in the shop - last year?  I'm too lazy to go back and look - I know I did a post about it.  It's 30's repro's, love them, and I had cut them in rectangles for a certain project.  Not a CLUE what project.

The rectangles are 6 1/2" x 3 1/2".  I'm pretty sure I was going to cut some in half and do a brick pattern, so that's what I did.  Cut some 3 1/2" x 3 1/4".  Then alternate the blocks in rows, to resemble brick.  But I couldn't leave it at that.  It looked too plain - had to have some stitchery, right?  Rather than pull out the endless assortment of vintage stitcheries I collect, I just drew up a couple of posies.

PICT0255    45645654654

They're all just up on my design wall, I'm going to start putting them together into rows today.

PICT0257    46545645645

If you have anything you need posies for, I made a pdf for you.  You can get it here.  I think it adds just the right touch.  They'll be added more randomly than I showed in the picture, I just put them together so you could see them.   

I also tried out my pencils, and the textile medium.  It works!  The first time I used it, I took it straight from the bottle - just used a small brush, covered only the part that was colored, then washed it.  I was not very pleased, it made the fabric stiff and that makes it hard to get a needle through.  The part that is circled with black ink is the part I used the medium on.

PICT0252    222

I tried it again, this time thinning the medium with water.  I haven't washed it yet, so I'll let you know if it comes out any softer if you thin it first.  I must admit I really like using the pencils, much easier than crayons, especially for tight corners and for shading.  If anyone has used this method, I'd love to know your thoughts - do you find the fabric gets stiff, and how easily can you get a needle through it?

Have a great week, we're still recuperating here but should be back to the Y tomorrow.  My oldest had a job interview this morning, and will have another one next Sunday - we'd appreciate any prayers!

33 comments:

soggibottom said...

Fingers crossed :-)xxx

Melody said...

Just love your baby quilt. The stitcheries are very cute. All the very best to your daughter.

Terry said...

Your little posies are so cute! That's going to be a lovely quilt! :0)

Miri said...

Sweet quilt!

I've crayon painted but never tried pencils on fabric...I'm very interested in how this goes. I have some textile medium that I've used with paint on fabric.

I'll have to check out the P.G. Wodehouse books on Librivox..isn't it a wonderful place!

Allie said...

Love the baby quilt, so cute!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Looks lovely Allie...the fabric is pretty and the little stitcheries are just so sweet...

Liz said...

Very cute quilt!

West Michigan Quilter said...

Love the baby quilt. Great colors. The flowers will look cute with it too! Thanks for the PDF file.

Shari said...

This will be a darling baby quilt. Love your little stitcheries. Thanks for sharing! Glad you are feeling better...

jan said...

I love the little posies, and I am so in awe of your talent to just draw things up! So few lines, but so effective! And thank you so much for sharing with us!

Love the fabrics, too! (Sending positive vibes for the job possibility!)

Dolores said...

Good luck to your son.
I love the bright colours of the baby quilt and putting your little stitcheries in it makes it even more special.

Cathy said...

I pray for the LORD to bless you son with the a job that would work best for him!

Are you using regular colored pencils?

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Praying your boy gets one of those Jobs, Allie!!
LOVE the stitcheries!!! What a gorgeous quilt this will be. :-)
Hugs
Jenny
xx

Carol said...

Love the little flowers...just the perfect touch for that sweet baby quilt! Fingers crossed for your son.

Anne at Film and Thread said...

Your embroidery pieces are always so dear! Lucky baby to get a quilt made by you. We will send prayers up for your son. Just getting an interview these days is a huge accomplishment.

Joanne Lendaro said...

Looks great Allie! Love the little flowers! Good luck to your son, will keep all of my fingers and toes crossed that he gets the job and it's a good fit for him!

Mickie said...

Prayers en route for you and son, Allie! I love the quilt and the embroidery! Are you using the pencils for shading fabric? I'm very interested in your results...

Fleurette said...

Your stitchery is lovely and looks so pretty in the quilt. Praying that all goes well for John.

susan m hinckley said...

I love these fabrics! And the stitching is just the perfect touch. I don't know who the baby is, but what a welcome!

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Oh Allie - I love it, love it! And, the posies add the perfect touch! How sweet of you to always share with us, too! Can't wait to read more about the coloring on fabric - it's something I've been wanting to learn more about!

Carrie P. said...

Well that is the way to use up your stash. Love your little embroidered blocks. It is going to be a very cute baby quilt.
Praying all goes well with your son's interview.

Dandelion Quilts said...

You'll get it done, I just know you can.

Heather x said...

Such beautiful fabric your using babe, it will be a wonderful baby quilt and a cherished gift :)
I am not having any luck with the pencils on cloth, it still runs when I wash it....either I am too heavy with the pencils or too light with the medium!
Fingers crossed for your son :)
*hugs* Heather x

Kim said...

cute baby quilt Allie will pray he gets the job.

Joy said...

Love your quilt Allie and your posies are simply gawjus!!! What a sweety you are to share them :o). I used the textile medium over a photo printed onto fabric and when diluted it dried much softer than the undiluted one ... good luck, I'll be interested to find out how you fare with it.
Fingers crossed for your boy, I hope he's successful at his job interviews!!
Love n hugs,
Joy :o)

Shasta said...

The stitcheries look wonderful on the quilt. They do add the special touch. I haven't played much with coloring, but I have bought some pencils and am working on trying to add them dark enough. Good luck on your oldest's job interview. Hope all of your colds are going away.

Tanya said...

Ooh! Thank you for the PDF!! The stitching really makes the baby quilt special!

Valerie said...

Oh I love the little posies! And that quilt is going to be beautiful. I am glad that you are feeling better too. Good luck to your oldest one on the job interview. Jobs are hard to come by right now.

Martha said...

Your quilt is adorable. I'm going to have to try that -- just adding a little stitching here and there. My embroidered quilts tend to have a more formal set, so you have inspired me to loosen up a bit.

How cool it must be to just draw a little design when you need it -- you are so artistic!

Kim D. said...

Your quilt is adorable Allie. I know several people who use this technique. I wonder if you can sew your quilt before you use the medium. But then I guess you have a chance of the colored pencil rubbing/coming off. I need to use a medium on my children of the 30's girls, so I was waiting for your review on the product. Someone else mentioned using nail polish, but that would be thick also. I'll check around and see if there's another product that might work out.

Chrissie said...

Just wanted to thank you for your lovely bird cage pattern. I really enjoyed stitching and I added seed beads as little flower heads.
Chrissie

Talin's Corner said...

I love the colors and your embroidery blocks in the baby quilt. I have my fingers crossed...think positive, your oldest will get the job.

John'aLee said...

That baby quilt is soooo cute. And just the right touch with a little bit of hand embroidery. Good job girlie!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...