Monday, September 27, 2010

Almost All Better!

Hi everyone, thank you so much for all your sweet words while I was feeling so bad - you sure know how to cheer a gal up.  I'm happy to report that my thumb hardly hurts now, I don't have to wear the brace all the time like I was, and I'm back to reading and commenting on your blogs - the part I really miss! 

Life was not too boring while I was unable to quilt or type, I found a new author that I really like [murder mysteries are my favorite] and even emailed her to tell her how much I liked her books.  She was so sweet to email me back - don't you love the digital age?  So easy to let your favorite authors know you appreciate them.

PICT0250    44577775568

This is her - she has two mystery series going, both widows, and they're full of really lovable characters.  I'm enjoying them.

In other news, I won a give-away over at Kim's blog.  Look at this gorgeous pattern:

PICT0236    222355

She also sent a charm square of Minnesota State fabric, with the state seal.  Charming!  Thank you Kim!

Did I mention I've been quilting?  Well, I have.  I finally figured out how I wanted to quilt the Sis Boom quilt.

PICT0243    7897888858
PICT0240    4468787
PICT0242    68789799

Horizontal lines in the circles, vertical lines everywhere else.  I am LOVING it.  The straight lines with all the curves really makes me happy.  I don't think the colors are true in these pics, but it's dreary and rainy and nothing I can do about it.  Not dreary in my sewing room though, not with this beautiful quilt in here!  These fabrics just SING.

And now, if I may, I'd like to ask you to pray for my mum.  She spent the weekend at her sister's house, came home this morning at 6:30am and found the glass in her front door shattered.  Someone had tried to get in.  My brother lives with her, and didn't hear anything - they think it might have happened Saturday during the day, while he was gone.  He never uses the front door and didn't notice it.  Needless to say, she's terrified, and I am too, for her.  They never got all the way in, tried to reach the lock through the window and I guess they couldn't.

Her neighborhood is a war zone.  Detroit police don't show up, sometimes for hours [or days], and don't even try for an ambulance.  Very few are in service.  Drug deals, very large ones, go on all the time right in front of her house.  I want so badly to get her out of there.  We're going to make sure she has at least one gun.  And I'm taking her to the range to practice - it's been a lot of years.  I just hope she can shoot to kill.  Heaven knows they wouldn't hesitate to shoot to kill her!  So, if you would just pray the Lord will keep her safe, I would appreciate it and I know she would too.

I'm going to be working on some secret projects for the next little bit, maybe I'll be able to show some sneak peeks - we'll see!  I hope you have a great week, everyone!

33 comments:

Dandelion Quilts said...

Your mom is in my prayers. How terrible. I really do love your quilting, beautiful.

Shari said...

That rooster pattern looks challenging! I love your quilting - what a stunning quilt!

Sorry to hear about how hard it is in your Mom's neighbourhood. Seems incredible that these third-world like places exist in our own countries... so much for all the politicians' promises... not even my beautiful city here in Oz is immune to rough neighbourhoods... I will certainly remember her in my prayers in the hope of a solution to her situation...
Hugs - Shari

Valerie said...

Oh this is so sad about your Mother. I know you are scared for her. I will pray for her to stay safe. I am so glad that you are getting better. I have missed your posts! That quilt is unreal. Guess what? I am almost through organizing my sewing room. I should be through tomorrow so I sure hope that I will be sewing soon! I am so excited. Be careful and hope you continue to improve.

Terry said...

I don't know your situation but is there any way you can get your mom out of there? Nobody should have to live like that. I'll be praying for her safety!!

Love your quilt too! :0)

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

So good to see you back Allie. Is your Mom in a situation where she cannot move?? Will be praying for her safety.

Sharon said...

I am praying that the Lord will move in this situation and open an opportunity for your mom to be able to move in a safer area.
Your quilt is lovely! I liked your idea of quilting with the lines.

Deb said...

Allie, how terrifying for your mother and for all of you worrying about her. Gosh I so hope she will be able to get out of that area soon.
Pleased to hear you are feeling better. Your quilting looks fabulous.

Joanne Lendaro said...

doesn't sound too good...keeping her safe in my prayers.

Love your quilt, and good to see that you are doing better!

Sharon said...

Your quilt is beautiful! I like straight lines with curvy patterns too. I can't wait to see the whole enchilada! But take your time and be gentle with your thumb - and yourself! We don't want you relapsing!

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. Yikes! Detroit has always been a rough town - it sounds worse now! I'll pray for your Mom's safety and hope that the situation can be improved soon.

Melody said...

I'm really sorry to hear about your mum too, and your brother. What a terrible way to have to live, always being frightened. I will keep them both in my prayers.
Thank you for the new author, I too love mysteries and thrillers.
Take care all of you, I'm glad to hear your thumb is getting better.

Caron said...

Glad you're feeling better. Wow, I wouldn't want to live in Detroit for anything. Way too scary for me. Just put me out in the country where the scariest thing is a little mouse crossing the front path.

Tudy said...

You have my prayers and I hope you can move her to a safer place soon. I would also be very scared.

Anne at Film and Thread said...

Good idea for your Mom to learn to use a gun. If she isn't in the position to get an alarm system for her house, how about getting some individual door and window alarms from Home Depot that she can set when she is inside? They are not all that expensive. We will definitely keep her in our prayers.

That rooster pattern is just gorgeous. It's wonderful to hear that your hand is feeling better because I love seeing your creative adventures. The quilting is gorgeous on your Sis Boom quilt, too.

Dolores said...

How awful for your mom. Glad they couldn't get in though.
I do love your hand quilting. It's so nice and even and small stitches. It takes a while but in the end it is all worth it.
What a wonderful giveaway you won. I do love Maggie Walker's designs.

Jan said...

Your quilting is lovely on the beautiful quilt! Hope your Mother can get out of that situation she is living in---will be praying for her and you! Gentle hugs!

Candied Fabrics said...

Allie! I am absolutely horrified to hear you're getting your Mom a gun...so many sad stories start like this...aiyiyi!

West Michigan Quilter said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. You must be worried sick about her. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. Thanks for the info on the books. I've never read anything by her but will now. I always like a recommendation. Take care.

susan m hinckley said...

Is that hand stitching on that quilt, Allie? It's PERFECT. I bow down to you. And I love the mix of straight lines and circles.

So sorry to hear about your mother! I hope things work out to improve her situation and I know she'll get lots of positive energy from all the prayers in blogland. Such a kind group of people!

Glad you're much better. Welcome back.

soggibottom said...

So sorry to hear about your mum babe.
Really sorry, give her a huge hug from me please. x x x x

Mary-Kay said...

Wow! I'm glad you're taking your mom to the range for some practice. I hope your hands are feeling better. I was showing off to my brother about how I could do some push-ups and now my lower arms are aching. I couldn't think why all of a sudden they were hurting and then I remembered. I wonder how long this will last, I don't think I could hold a hoop for long periods.

Talin's Corner said...

I love your quilt. I really like the quilting too. The different directions add texture to it.

I am glad that you are feeling better and that you found a new author. I can't believe that she emailed you...that's great.

Your mom will be in my thoughts.

Loralynn said...

I'm so sorry to hear that your Mom is in such a terrible situation! I will definately keep her in my prayers that she be kept safe. It's nice that your brother lives with her so that she isn't alone.
On a more positive note, I'm glad that your thumb is feeling better. It's terrible when you can't use your hands effectively for crafting...that's our therapyJ!

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Allie-love, I know you have had this fear for a while now - praise God your mum wasn't home and wasn't harmed!!
I am continuing to pray for her, that the Lord would provide a way out for her...
I *love* your quilt!!!!!
Hugs
Jenny
xxx

Mickie said...

Praying for your mom, Allie, that is so scarey!!! I'm glad you are feeling a bit better. Be careful not to over do it!
Hugs,
Mickie

BubzRugz said...

Glad to read your hand is better - the quilting is lovely... and of course prayers for your mum....
Hugz

Rebekah said...

praying for your mom and glad to hear that you're feeling better.

Your quilting is lovely! And how fun that you have a new mystery series to keep you busy...mysteries are the best reading material for fall/winter.

Martha said...

Your quilt is just luscious! Love those fabrics, and the quilting pattern you picked is just perfect (as well as your stitches)!

That's terrible about your mom -- it's so sad what has happened in Detroit. Thank goodness your brother is there with her.

John'aLee said...

I'm so sorry about what happened to your mom. That is such a horrid feeling. One feel so violated.
Glad you are doing better. Love the quilt!

Kim D. said...

Allie,

So sorry to hear about your moms house being broken into. How about putting a security door on the front of her house? Maybe it's time to put the house up for sale and move.

Love the Rooster and Chicken pattern you won. Your quilting is coming along nicely, can't wait to see it finished.

Kim D. said...

Forgot to mention that I will keep your mom in my thoughts and prayers. Glad to see you back and doing better.

Sheri Howard said...

Your quilting stitches are beautiful!

Carrie P. said...

I am so glad to see you are getting better.
Your quilting is perfect.
I am praying right now for angels to stand guard over your mom.

John'aLee said...

Allie, I can so feel for your mom seeing I was robbed a few months ago while my hubby was gone. It's hard to explain the feeling, but it leaves one feeling very violated on a personal level. She will be in my prayers.
I LOVE that quilt! Hand quilting??? You amaze me girl!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...