Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Tuesdays Treasures And A Busy Week

What a great week.  Summer at its finest.  But first, my Tuesdays Treasures...I have more than one today.

PICT0351jflkive

This is where I talk at y'all.  The "desk" is a solid metal, six-drawer, triple mirror vanity that belonged to my great-grandmother.  The side mirrors move, so you can see your reflection from every angle.  I'm not fond of that view, so I turned it into my computer desk by adding a board across the top.  The mirrors serve as a memory board, I stick cards and letters and mementos on them.  The chair, which reclines, belonged to my grandmother - my mom bought it for her and my grandfather when she was in her teens.  The right arm, which you can't see, has a little piece that comes up and serves as a small table.  Both heirlooms are in serious, dire need of paint.  Wait - so is everything else in my house.  *sigh*

For more treasures, go see Clare at Clare's Craftroom - she links up every Tuesday to many blogs.  Why not blog your own treasures, and join in the fun?

Last week was busy.  We made it down to the Dream Cruise on Wednesday, before it actually started - but folks don't pay much attention to the date, they start cruisin' well in advance.  The entire week is controlled chaos on America's first highway, with vintage cars parked and rolling all the way through 8 cities on the route.

PICT0421    5468186868
PICT0398    54654651818

My favorite car ever - Chevy BelAir.  I'll take two.  The Thunderbird pics are for my brother, who really really needs to GET HIS RUNNING so we can drive it in the next cruise.

We also made it to Port Huron for a beach day.  It was a lovely day, I wish my picture showed the color of the water....

PICT0341nvbnbvn44554545

The sand bar goes out really far, and the water is a gorgeous turquoise.  This is the same lake we were at the weekend before, only 125 miles south. The drive home wasn't so nice, we drove through a storm that produced 2 tornadoes and didn't even know it - we missed one by minutes.

On the home front, my Sis Boom quilt is now officially a flimsy.

PICT0358456198918945473

I'm moving furniture around so I can baste it today, and will hopefully start quilting it tomorrow - still haven't decided on a quilt design, but it will be simple, this is a big quilt.  By the way, have you SEEN her new fabric line, Queen Street?  *SWOON* 

Enjoy your week friends, summer won't last much longer, get out there and enjoy it!

24 comments:

Carrie P. said...

The metal vanity is quite interesting, I would have thought it was wood. Cool chair.
I love Thunderbirds. My parents used to have one when I was a child.
Oh, what a beautiful beach. So glad you enjoyed your week.

joan said...

I enjoyed seeing where we connect .. now I can picture you when I read your comments and post.
I lovee your quilt! You are so right that summer will soon be gone. Four months from today and it's Christmas Eve!

Dolores said...

Holidays over? I do like your treasures. They don't make furniture like they used to - to last.
Glad you finished the quilt top. Maybe once it's basted and you are ready to quilt, the quilting design will show itself.

Vicki said...

I love your computer desk and chair Allie and it looks very comfy :) Now I can picture you sitting there typing away when you put up a post :) hugs Vicki

Joy said...

What a lovely comfy spot you have to chat with us all!!!! I just love the chair, I wouldn't be painting it ... I think it looks fabulous just the way it is ;o)!! Looks like an old rose bowl on the printer too ... how gawjus is that??!!!!
Hugs,
Joy :o)

Cyndi said...

Oh Allie, I love your "desk" and chair! I would have never known that the vanity was metal - it sure doesn't look like it. And I love the cottage style, so if they were mine I wouldn't paint them - I love them just the way they are!

Cool cars! One of my favorite old(er) cars is the Chevy Corvaire - I always wanted one of those!

Your quilt looks great! Can't wait to see it all quilted! Now I'm gonna go check out Jennifer's new line!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Janice said...

What a cozy spot you have created there. I've never seen a metal dressing table before. I love the way you have made it more relevant to your needs. It sounds like you had a great day checking out the cruises and going to the beach.

Mary-Kay said...

I need the beach! I'm having withdrawals.

West Michigan Quilter said...

I never would have guessed that desk is metal. It is beautiful. You have a nice cozy spot to "talk at us." Looks like you had a nice vacation too.

Jennifer said...

oh my god prettiest quilt I have ever seen...I just love love love it...

Heather x said...

Your drinks going cold my friend ROFL, great to see where you do your chatting :)
Love the colours you have used on the quilt, can't wait to see how you quilt it :)
*hugs* Heather x

BubzRugz said...

Lovely to meet you bloggily..... I love your computer corner.... and the way you have used up some heirlooms to enjoy blogland from.... your quilt is delicious.... Hugz
Fiona

Aunty said...

I love the chair. It looks gorgeous and so comfy. The car is beautiful. My son would love one of them too.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Summer won't last much longer - is that a promise? LOL

Love your desk. A treasure indeed! Love how you make it work so well for you.

Great picture of the T-bird. I must be vintage myself because as a kid my dad drove a T-bird!!! Luxury interior, for sure.

clare's craftroom said...

Allie that is such a wonderful chair so comfy and yes with the history that is a real treasure .
Thanks for showing us and playing along .

Mama Spark said...

You were busy! The dream cruise looks like fun. I love the beach. TC was amazing. Your flimsy is beautiful!

Ivory Spring said...

Oh my, your vintage things are pretty. I especially love that dress. The quilt top is looking very good!!

Re: my quilt along. Totally understandable. I am snowed under myself! :) Yes, please feel free to add the button. I am honored. :)

Melody said...

What a great spot you have made for yourself. I think I could very happily work there

Fleurette said...

Love all your treasures, the chair looks so comfy. I'd love a ride in one of those vintage cars. Looks like a great day at the beach, those tornadoes sound scary, we don't have them here. Your quilt is gorgeous, I love the bright colours!

Michelle said...

I love what you did with the vanity - great idea!

susan m hinckley said...

I loved your cruise post last year, Allie. Some day I'd really like to see that spectacle for myself. Thanks for inviting us along again!

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Oh I'm SO HAPPY to see you out on a trip Allie! Big smiles over here! The cars look so neat - and the beach is gorgeous! So glad to see you having bunches of fun!!!

Rebekah said...

your computer desk looks so cute and cozy!

I missed the dream cruise...but if I were in the market for a classic car, it would definitely be a Bel-Air in either red/white or turquoise/white!

nicole said...

oooooooooh i looooooooove vintage cars!
how amazing!
xox

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...