Monday, August 16, 2010

Home Again

PICT0314    1

I'm home.  Weekends just aren't long enough, are they?  My aunt, my mom, my boys and I took a trip to Mackinac Island [pronounced MackinAW] early Saturday morning.  We left the island in the early evening and went to my cousin's home on the beach.  I hadn't been there in 30 years - it was magic.  We used to go there in the summer when I was a child, and while it had changed a bit, I felt like a kid again.  The pic above is their beach.

PICT0260    1

This is the view from the driveway - the two guesthouses on the left, the house on the right.

PICT0228     1

 The view down the bluff to the beach.

PICT0242    1

A little something my other cousin built.

PICT0299    1

He also built a bridge and boardwalk to the beach.  It's very, very long.

PICT0310    1

My camera batteries died before I could get any great shots.  He's built a number of homes up there, log cabin mansions...they are amazing.  My other cousin's hubby makes these fabulous birdhouses from birch trees....

PICT0284    1

Oh how I wish I had better pics.  Lots more pics on flickr.

But first, we went to Mackinac Island.  It was very, very hot and humid - it felt more like the deep south than Michigan, let me tell you!    It was nice and cool on the ferry, though, heading past the bridge...

PICT0164     1

The butterfly house was so pretty!

PICT0198    12

A hotel on the island....

PICT0185    1

A picture in a shop that I LOVED....

PICT0183    1

And Arch Rock.

PICT0202    1

I was so disappointed, my camera batteries died soon after snapping these pics.  We took a carriage tour of the island, so I couldn't pop off and get more batteries.  You'll have to take my word for it, it's beautiful!

I'm ready to go back up north.  When you live in a big city, it's easy to forget how much beauty is just a few hours away.  And living in a state with so many beaches and gorgeous lakes, [the longest freshwater shoreline in the world, and more shoreline than any state except Alaska] you'd think I'd enjoy it more often.   But I enjoyed it this weekend, and I'm very thankful for that!

I hope you all had a good weekend too.  I'm probably not going to try to comment on all your blogs - you've been BUSY while I was gone, lol - but I'll read them all!  Enjoy your week!

25 comments:

loulee said...

It looks beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Heather x said...

Welcome back hun, what a glorious place you've been to!
Your family is very talented :)
*hugs* Heather x

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Oh Allie- what beautiful pics!! I could hear the wind and smell the water...such a precious time for you. :-)

Vicki said...

Gorgeous pictures Allie and it makes me want to be there :) So glad you had a great time :) hugs Vicki xoxox

Quiltluver said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Quiltluver said...

Beautiful pictures! I love going up north, and Mackinac Island is one of Michigan's treasures. Thanks for the pics.

Terry said...

Looks like a wonderful weekend! I want to go to Mackinac Island and see the Grand Hotel! Somewehere in Time is one of my favorite movies and it was filmed there.

Shasta said...

I'm glad you had a wonderful trip. Your family is very talented.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Beautiful pictures! So glad you had such a wonderful time away :-)

joanne lendaro said...

I've been up that far in the deep winter, and it is just as beautiful! Looks like you had a wonderful trip.

Talin's Corner said...

Oh, your pictures are just gorgeous! Sounds like you had fun.

Lauranie said...

So pretty...glad you had such a wonderful escape!! I think you took many awesome pictures before your batteries quit...maybe you should get some rechargeable batteries?? :D

soggibottom said...

Perfect :-) x x x

Mary-Kay said...

That island is so pretty. Hard to believe there's no cars. Some of the houses around the other side are beautiful. I haven't been there for 10 years and I think it's time to go again.

Kim D. said...

What a gorgeous beach, love the beautiful house and guest houses. I hope you had a great time away and thanks for sharing the beautiful photo's.

Carrie P. said...

Oh, what a delightful weekend you had. Such a beautiful beach. I am so glad you could get away. 30 years? that is a long time to be away but you finally made it back.

Dolores said...

Yep, from the looks of it one weekend was way too short. What a great place and wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Anne at Film and Thread said...

You have got a talented cousin! That looks like such a wonderful, beautiful, relaxing trip. So glad you had fun!

Cyndi said...

Oh my gosh, Allie, Mackinac Island is one of the places I have always wanted to visit! It's sooooo beautiful there! Hubby says he's taking me there one day soon...and we're even going to stay one (and only one!) night in the Grand Hotel!

You are so right, too...your cousin's cottage is adorable! Do you think they would want to adopt me? LOL!!!

XOXO,

Cyndi

jan said...

What darling cottages! It looks like a storybook place with such blue water!

Fleurette said...

Allie, what a beautiful place, I want to live there! gorgeous photo's. Glad you all had a wonderful time!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Allie...what a truly lovely spot....thank you so much for sharing your trip..

Mama Spark said...

I love Mackinac Island. So much fun and so beautiful. I am going to Traverse City this weekend to cheer for Kelsey in her first triathalon!

Ivory Spring said...

Wow - that's a LOVELY place. I enjoyed the pictures.

Blessings.

Rebekah said...

It looks like you had a great trip! I love that vintage sign. I want to get up to Mackinac next summer or fall :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...