Sunday, March 21, 2010

Make Do Memories Quilt Challenge

 First, Jenny is ok, the storm just brushed them.  Please keep the farmers and others in the flood path in your prayers.

And second, yay, it's done!  Well, almost - I'm going to re-do the binding.  I put my needle to the far right and I think it looks too thin, so it will get removed and re-bound with the needle in the middle.

PICT0065    1

 This was a challenge from Lyn at Bluebird Quilts.  She had some vintage hexagons she'd bought on ebay, and decided she'd never get to them, so she issued the challenge for participants to make a mini-quilt with four of them....she sent five and I ended up using them all.

PICT0067    1

I really like the way it turned out.  It's rare something in my head comes out looking like I thought it would.

PICT0066    1

I did have a couple of problems.  When doing the free-motion quilting, for some reason my thread started turning black - it was grease or oil coming up through the bobbin case.  It happened twice!  The first one was bad on the back, but not the front, and the second one was worse on the front.  I'm not sure how to get it out.  You can just see it at the top of the "flower".

PICT0070    1

Other than that, and having to re-do the binding, I really love this little quilt. It  was great fun to do and not something I would have thought of on my own.  After looking at the tiny stitches in the hexagons, I can say with certainty that I'll never make a grandmother's flower garden quilt!  This will have to suffice, lol.  Thank you Lyn for the opportunity to make something so fun!

This last pic is for Dolores - she said, when she saw my barkcloth curtains, she immediately thought of flamingos.  Well, right next to them I have hanging my flamingo mirror - they do go well together, I think!  And they're probably both from the same era.

PICT006    1

And now I have to go pick out some binding for my Ului table runner that Jenny posted.  Yesterday, as you know, was National Quilting Day here in the States, and my local PBS station had quilt shows on ALL DAY.  So of course, I had to quilt all day - not only did I quilt and bind my challenge quilt, I also cut, appliqued, pieced and quilted my table runner!  I think it should be National Quilting Day every Saturday.  Wouldn't that be fun!

37 comments:

Stina said...

Brilliant.. love what you made with Lyns hexagon blocks.. so clever.. and pretty..:o)

Heather x said...

That looks so beautiful Allie, I love the flower out of hexies :0)
*hugs* Heather x

Susan said...

Very cool!

soggybottomflats said...

How creative you are! I love it, Elaine
Please send snow shovel!

Fleurette said...

Very pretty Allie. I made a grandmothers flower garden quilt, cot size,years ago but it was stolen in a burglary.

Linda said...

Such a satisfying feeling to have a plan work out as you'd hoped. I'd leave the binding as is, but then I like skinny bindings.

joanne lendaro said...

very pretty!! just like spring!s

Anne at Film and Thread said...

So beautiful! I love the little crochet piece on the pot. Have you thought about a Tide pen to get the black off?

Terry said...

I just love what you did with your hexagons Allie! I wanted to use all five of mine but couldn't make them fit in the size Lyn had on the instructions. Oh well...now I have an extra one to make into something! :0)

Karen said...

What a sweet piece. I like the addition of the little vintage crochet piece. Well done.

Aimee said...

Oh, I love it!! It's perfect for this time of year and your flamingo mirror is adorable with your curtains. As a matter of fact, your curtains have inspired me to make some bark cloth curtains for my little boys' bedroom. I love 'em!!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

The quilt is just goegeous Allie....

Dandelion Quilts said...

You are too creative!

jan said...

Wow! I would never have thought of a pot of flowers, but it is perfect for these hexes! I agree that a wider border might add a little more weight to the edges. I love the gingham pot! I am going to check on Lyn's site to see if anyone else has finished theirs.

ivoryspring said...

Allie, this is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!! You are so creative.

Don't know how to get the oil out... you might try a toothbrush and some dish soap first, perhaps?

Mary-Kay said...

Wow! that looks great. You came up with a winner. For that stain you could try Grandma's Secret Stain remover and I got mine at Joanns.

Kim said...

That is so cute Allie you did a beautiful job..

bluebird-lyn said...

Hello Allie, thank you for joining in and preserving the blocks....very creative what you have done....when I have a grease stain....I usually sprinkle talcum powder on the spot and it absorbs the grease....then brush it off...there may still be a slight stain...so do the same again...hope it works for you...hugs lyn

Sharon said...

You did a fantastic job on your challenge! It looks wonderful. As far as the grease, I'd try 1. the talcum powder or 2. the dish soap and toothbrush. Good luck...I hope one of them works.

Love your new curtains! They are perfect with the flamingos...it looks like you're in Florida.

Cyndi said...

Allie, you are so creative! I love your little quilt; it is absolutely adorable and your design really sets off those vintage fabrics!

I use Grandma's Secret on all of my stains - it gets out just about everything, including oil, grease, blood and ink! You can find it at JoAnn's, Hancocks or Hobby Lobby.

XOXO,

Cyndi

Dolores said...

Thank you dear Allie for feeding my love of flamingos. It is a marvelous mirror.
That is a gorgeous quilt. I think you did a superb job. Where will you display it?
I have no hints on how to get rid of the oil except maybe that oxy stuff you can soak it in. Or maybe just dab some on - in case it would affect the hexagons.

Rebekah said...

This is adorable! What a cute way to use flower garden hexagons!

Carrie P. said...

Allie, I do remember those hexagons. What a great idea you came up with. So cute.
I did not know that Jenny was experiencing such bad weather. I am glad to hear her and her family are alright.

MamaT said...

I love hexagons! Your quilt is so cute. I just got a quilt back from a machine quilter. Her machine dropped just a little oil on the edge of my quilt and she used cornstarch to remove it. I watched her do it. She sprikled it on and then brushed it with a toothbrush and it came off. You might give it a try.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Just love the cute quilt you made. Such a great idea for sharing and inspiration to receive the fabric as a gift that way!

I looked and I can not see any of the black - but I can only imagine how sick you felt when you saw it. Glad it isn't noticeable.

joan said...

Oh Allie what a beautiful project!
You are so talented. I have never worked with hexagons but I really want to try something (small).

julie said...

Allie, that is just beautiful. I love it. I would never make a hexagon block (hate hand sewing)but I love the look of the grandmothers flower quilts.

Val Laird said...

Hi Allie

Firstly, thanks for your lovely comment on my blog.

Your mini quilt is just lovely - and wow, what great quilting you have done.

Blessings
Val

Kim D. said...

Love the way you turned those hexes into flowers in a pot. Adorable!! Very nice quilting too. Sorry about the oil or grease coming through, I hope you can get it out. I wonder if you can use some orange hand cleaner? Seems like it would be natural and wouldn't harm the cotton.

Mickie said...

It's wonderful! I love the little touches like the embellishments on the flower pot :)

susan m hinckley said...

Between the bark cloth and the flamingos, looks like you've got your little island paradise!

I love old grandmother's flower garden quilts. What a great use for the few blocks you had. Just darling, Allie -- a quilty little breath of spring!

Martha said...

What a clever and original idea for using the hexagons -- and it turned out so well!

You barkcloth curtains are perfect with that amazing flamingo mirror.

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

LOVE the hexagon flower quilt - SO CUTE!!!

marian said...

Allie, your hexagon quilt is absolutely delightful...i LOVE it! How lucky are we to be able to preserve a little bit of history in the shape of these quaint little blocks :)
If you've got time pop over for a peek at my quilt which i blogged about it today.
I can't wait to see everyone's little quilts in May :) cheers, Marian x

Pam McL said...

Bravo, sweet Allie!
I see you're getting the hang of free motion quilting--it's looking pretty darn good, girly-o.
Miss ya!

Cathy said...

I love your flower pot!

sewtakeahike said...

cute Allie! I have a couple of vintage hexagon flowers hanging on my wall in my sewing room that I didn't know what to do with. Thanks for the ideas!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...