Wednesday, November 18, 2009

An Important Post: Updated With An Important Edit!

Edit: I was wrong! Debbie was good enough to let me know how you REALLY make sure you're not a no-reply blogger! Debbie, I can't thank you enough....I was horrified! Here's how you change a no-reply. Go to your blog, sign in, and go to your dashboard. Over on the left, click on "edit profile". There are two things where you show your email addy, and I'm not sure if you need both of them or just one of them checked, so we'll do both. Under where it says Privacy, make sure 'show my email address' has a check mark in the box, then scroll down to Identity and make sure your email addy is in the box for Email Address. SAVE your changes. Everybody, be sure to thank Debbie! There's just no end to this learning curve, lol!



Why? Well, because I want everyone to have a chance to win my give-away, if they want. So I'm posting information on how to know if you're a no-reply blogger or not.

What IS a no-reply blogger? Well, when you comment on my posts, I get an email with your comment. Normally, it will have your email addy on it, and I can just click 'reply' and email you back. If you've ever left a comment, and not heard from me, then the email doesn't show your addy - instead, it says 'no-reply commenter'. If I try to reply to it, it goes out to cyberspace and is eaten by borgs. Not really borgs, but I like the way it sounds. And by the way, I do reply to each and every comment, as long as I have an email to reply to.



So. HOW do you know? Well, if you use blogger, then I can tell you. Sign into your blog. Go to either Customize, or your Dashboard. Click on the tab that says Settings. Underneath the tabs at the top of that page, you'll see Basic, Publishing, Formatting, and Comments - click on Comments. This is where you make changes to how people comment on your blog.



Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page. It says Comment Notification Email. If that box is blank, then you're a no-reply blogger. You want to have your email address in that box. When you've put your email there, click SAVE. You have to save or the changes won't take.



And that's it! Now you can enter my give-away, and lots of others. Now, what if you don't have a blog, or you have a different one, like wordpress or typepad and I can't help you with those? Just leave your email in your comment, so I can reply to you.



If none of this makes sense and you need more help, you can email me at alliehomeschool at yahoo dot com [take out spaces and use the symbols]. I'd be glad to help you if I can.



This is post number 99. Friday will be number 100, so check and make sure I can reply to you!

16 comments:

trixi said...

Hi Allie,Thanks for that I never quite knew how to get email notification when I got a comment now I do!!

Terry said...

It always makes me sad when someone is no-reply. I need to post this on my blog too one of these days!

West Michigan Quilter said...

I'm so glad you wrote this. It took me a while before I finally realized how others were making their replies. Your title is great and sure to get others to read this important post.

Anne at Film and Thread said...

Allie, as someone who does not have a Blogger based blog, I learned that signing in under "Google account" isn't enough, neither is signing up under OpenID, or Name/URL. OpenID & Name/URL will allow the person on Blogger to find your blog, but it still doesn't let them hit "reply" and respond to your email. They have to go find it on your blog.


So, to not show up as "no reply" you HAVE to set up a blogger blog. I just did one post on it linking it to my Wordpress blog. That is a thing that I like better about Wordpress (I never get no replies because you leave a comment by signing in under your email address), but Blogger clearly is the most popular in the quilting/crafting world!

Dolores said...

Gee I hope people get the hint. However, I do think that some people prefer to be no-reply bloggers. Pity.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

woo-hoo can't wait!

paulette said...

I think that I'm OK as I get comments back regarding my comments...Thanks for the heads up!
Paulette

Mom of two said...

Thanks for the heads up...I never knew hoe to fix that! Noe I am ready for your giveaway. (YEAH)

Pam McL said...

Ok, Allie,,,,you've been trying to get me straight on this for months. Let's see if that did it.

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

This issue has puzzled me for YEARS!!! Thank you so much for explaining this.

jan said...

Thanks Allie! I had tried to figure that out before, when you told me I was no-reply, but I don't think I was looking at the right place. I hope noone thought I was no-reply on purpose! I was just no-clue!

Rebekah said...

thanks for the tip! I didn't know I was a no reply blogger until I saw this tutorial sometime last year and changed my status

Carrie P. said...

100 post coming up. And hopefully all will have a way for you to reply back.

AllyJo said...

Did I miss it? I've been so busy quilting my own thing. I want so badly to win a quilt, because I never have time to make myself one. I'm always quilting for other people. It would be nice to have something (especially from you) of my VERY OWN. And no, I'm not sucking up. I like you. I really, really like you. :)

xoxoxoxox

((((((((hugs)))))))))

Blessings and favor. Have a great Thanksgiving.

fleurette said...

Hi Allie, thanks for explaining.Ive now changed my status. <3

Denise of Ingleside said...

I'm late lol but i think i have it changed now... we'll test and see.
thanks Allie!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...