Friday, November 6, 2009

How About A Recipe??

Do any of you have old photos like this around the house?

mompony

This is my mom, not sure how old she was, on a neighborhood pony. Probably around 1940. I love this picture. I was browsing through some old ones, thinking about my mom and my grandma - my mom is still [thank You Lord] with me, but my grandma has been gone a long time. I miss her so much, and still find myself reaching for the phone to call her. Thinking about my grandma reminded me of how we used to bake together - I don't LIKE to bake, or cook, but I do love to eat and helping her with Christmas baking was sure to get me a coffee cake all my own.

One recipe of hers that we all dearly love is her Ginger Snaps cookies. I don't like store-bought, they're hard as a rock and too spicy. Grandma's were soft, sugary, and so tasty! The only problem was in the making....the dough is VERY hard to stir. Fortunately I have teen boys to do the stirring for me. I decided to share the recipe with you. I also decided to turn it into a stitchery, and make it up for my mom for Christmas. I'll let you know how that goes.

So if you'd like to make them, be prepared for the stirring....and make a lot, because they'll disappear in no time. We made them for the entire family for Christmas one year, about 30 tins full, and I don't think they lasted a week.

Grandma's Ginger Snap Cookies

1 cup sugar
3/4 cup crisco
1 egg
1/4 cup light molasses
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves, 1/4 tsp ginger - use 1/8 tsp ea. for milder flavor
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour

Mix ingredients in order listed. Roll into small balls, about 1" diameter, or size of small walnuts. Roll in sugar, place on baking sheet for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees.

If you have any left when they've cooled, put in airtight container with piece of bread. This will keep them soft.

Edited to add: Crisco is the brand name of a vegetable shortening here in the US. I'm not sure what the equivalent would be overseas.

23 comments:

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

What a treasure of a photo Allie...great recipe but what is crisco?

jan said...

I love the expression on your mom's face! She looks like she is having a great time, and who wouldn't, sitting on a pony?

The recipe looks great! I don't bake much, but I will add this to the collection. My husband loves ginger snaps!

Sew little fabric said...

Hi Allie,
My big sister would loooove these! I think I will make her some for chrissy. We call crisco, Copha in Aust.
Love Paula xxx

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Looks yum!! I love ginger...would butter work??

Anne at Film and Thread said...

Now you are really making it feel like Christmas is coming with the gingersnap recipe! It looks yummy!

Barbara said...

Love the photo, my mom has one of my younger brother on a pony. I think they use to come around the neighborhood trying to talk you into taking photos with your child on the pony, I would think the my 2 older brothers and I were in school at the time, and yes it was in the early 40's as my brother was born in '41 and he was 3 when he had his photo taken, I love these old photos. BarbM

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

What a sweet photo of your Mom ~ and how wonderful you still have her. Especially nice at the holidays.

Thanks for sharing your recipe ~ those sound wonderful!

Eileen said...

These cookies sound very similar to the ones my mom used to make. LOVED them.

And that photo is adorable. I know exactly what you mean about missing your grandma, and treasuring photos like that. Especially this time of year.

Serena said...

Thanks Allie! I can't wait to try these!

soggibottom said...

This looks like a good recipe. I'll get someone else to do the heavy stuff.
Old photo's have a charm, one small piece of paper carries so many memories....I love old pics.....

Carrie P. said...

I just made dozens of ginger snap cookies this weekend for two different things we went too. They are my favorite now. I use to love chocolate chip but no more.
My recipe is for a mix ( dry ingredients) that you keep in the fridge. When you get ready to make them you just add the egg, butter and molasses. Yummy!

Shari said...

Thanks for the lovely family story and the recipe. What a wonderful gift to us for the holidays...

Hugs - Shari

Kim said...

It is so much fun re-living the memories. My Grandma (bless her heart, I still miss her) love to make Crazy cake (the eggless, milkless, butterless cake from the depression) and then we would make powdered sugar frosting to go on it. Had to have a little coffee in it as well. Was so good.

sewtakeahike said...

Hey Allie, can you say "kitchen-aid"? lol! I just looked it up and that's the exact recipe for gingersnaps in the 1941 edition of Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book I have! And I looooooove that recipe. Well worth the stirring, but seriously, put a kitchen aid on your Christmas, birthday, anniversary list!

Allie said...

Allie, That is a great photo! I have found a couple of great ones like that of my Dad, that I just love.
I do love the ginger snaps too.

Sharon said...

Thanks for the recipe...it sounds very yummy! And yes, try a mixer of some type, or just use your hands, maybe.

What a sweet photo of your mom. I have a similar one of my dad. Just precious!

Rebekah said...

That recipe sounds delicious.

I love seeing old photos like this! Thanks for sharing

Michelle said...

Great photo!

Sounds like a yummy recipe, too bad I don't like ginger snaps.

AllyJo said...

I have a similar recipe like that which came from German family in our family. I have been thinking about making some. I love the way they taste in the fall.

I miss my grandma too. I think about her everyday. We used to bake together as well.

I like your mom's picture. There are some pictures like that in our family. I love your mom's outfit.

NEEDLEWINGS said...

Great photo. I am sure that you can find someone to restore it too. Thanks too for the recipe. I don't get a chance to have kids over much for the holidays. I may have to bake it for me and hubby:)

Mary said...

Oh Allie - mmmmm! My favorite cookies in the whole entire world are ginger snaps, especially the soft, chewy, rolled in sugar kind. I'll plan on making some of these over the holiday. Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

What a great picture of your Mom sitting on the pony too - I love looking through old pictures. Life and life's pleasures were so much calmer and simpler *sigh*

Jenileigh said...

Very cool picture. Thanks for stopping by Allie!

Liz said...

That photo is amazing. I just love old photos like that! You need to take it in and have it restored. If you have a good photoshop program you could do it too. Do it before it is so bad that it is too far gone.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...