Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Thankful Heart

Colossians 4:2 tells us to have a thankful heart. Sometimes, that's a struggle - I've done my best, in good times and bad, to cultivate a thankful heart, by counting my blessings, by thanking the Lord for everything. It's easy when things are going well, not so much when everything looks bleak. But it never ceases to amaze me how the bleakness lifts when I do it anyway, in spite of circumstances. The joy of the Lord surely is my strength!

This week, it's been easy to cultivate a thankful heart. Thanks to blogland friends who reach out and pray, or just email to let me know they're thinking of me, I appreciate you all.

Today, I recieved a parcel from Niki at Pumpkin Country, just because. Just because she is sweet and lovely, and one of my favorite people. Niki knows all about struggles and her sweet spirit shines right through them.

PICT1211    1

Is that not too darling for words? I wish you could touch these, they are so soft, and I can't stop. Look at these lovely little pennies:

PICT1214    1

You know you'd be petting them too.

PICT1212    1

And CROWS. I have nothing with crows on them - and I love them! Niki, you are too sweet - I opened the package and went running for my camera, I couldn't wait to show everyone. Now if I can just keep my mom from seeing them.....she can't have them! Thank you, darling Niki!

Last week, I showed you the latest stitcheries I'm doing, from Jenny of Elefantz - her design set called In My Garden. The designs incorporate rick-rack and buttons. I didn't have any rick-rack - and Carrie from A Passion For Applique emailed me and offered to send me some of her vintage rick-rack.

PICT1216    1

I don't know how, but the colors are PERFECT for these stitcheries. Carrie, I appreciate this so much! Look how well the yellow goes -

PICT1217    1

And the other colors go perfectly as well! I was dreading doing the rick-rack and Carrie, you took the dread right out and turned it into joy. Thank you dear heart! The next one to use it will be this one:

PICT1219    1

I want to get all the stitching done first, then the rick-rack, and then I'll pick out buttons - I'm looking forward to pulling out all my vintage buttons for this stitchery. I don't get to play with them nearly enough. Most of the stitching on the others are done, I'm saving the rainbow for last so I can use all the colors of floss I've used in the other stitcheries.

PICT1225    1
PICT1218    1

Aren't they sweet?

One last but not least thing to tell you - Sue over at Blueberry Buckle Quilt Studio is having another give-away! Go vote on which fabric you like best, and tell her what fabric you use most. She's giving away a jelly roll of Objects of Desire by Sandy Gervais for Moda!

And just cuz, one more shot of soft woolly goodness:

PICT1210    1

Go find something or someone to be thankful for!

33 comments:

Terry said...

You have such pretty things to look at on your blog today! Wish I could feel them too! :0)

Dolores said...

Lucky you. I am always thankful for my health because it means I can enjoy and be thankful for all the other things like my family, friends, food, clothing, shelter.... you get the picture.
Take care and I love your take on Jenny's patterns.

Heather x said...

What an awesome gift! I can just imagine you sat there stroking them :0)
I love the stitcheries that you have done, especially the butterfly thats my favourite :0)
I am new to your blog and I just wanted to say what a beautiful blog you have :0)
*hugs* Heather x

Mary-Kay said...

Wow! The felted wool stitcheries are beautiful. I'd hide them from my mom too. And your sticheries are awesome! I can't wait to see the finished project. The rick-rack accents them perfectly. And once you add the vintage buttons I'd hide them from my mom also.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

oooo Allie, everything looks so wonderful! I love your stichery and the crows are too cute. You truly had a day to be thankful!

Patricia said...

Oh.....lovely, Allie. ALL of it. And your stitcheries are gorgeous! You are so talented. I thnk of you often. ((((Hugs))))

jan said...

So cute! And your stitcheries are really beautiful! Really nice work and beautiful designs!

Serena said...

Amen Allie! I love your gifts. Definitely worthy of touching.

Shari said...

The stitcheries are coming up so well - the ric rac is perfect. How kind of Carrie to send you some...

I just love the little crow quilts - Niki is very talented and very sweet...

Thank you for the timely reminder to keep Jesus in our hearts always - he will surely lift you up and give you comfort...

Hugs - Shari

Kim said...

Terry you gift is so cute. The stitcheries are beautiful, you do nice work. I have to remember to be thankful even when things are not going as I would like them to be. I have to remember it is in His time not mine. LOL and that is sometimes really hard. Must be that free will lol

Sew Useful Designs said...

Hello darling Allie!
You know honestly sweetie, I am thankful to have found a new friend in YOU! I have been meaning to reply to a couple of messages you left for me - as they made a profound and uplifting difference to my outlook! Thank you sweetheart! And thank God for the friends that he bestows us with! You are absolutely right... when times are grim... to be grateful and thankful for what we DO have, is just the ticket to happiness! :-)

Niki sure is a gorgeous and talented soul! Yes, I wish I could pet your crows! And the stitcheries you are creating from Jenny's designs are stunning! Love 'em!

Hugs in abundance, darling lady!
Vikki xoxo

Valerie said...

It is funny you mentioned being thankful and I might have already told you about the guy at the post office...did I? He is probably the only nice one there. He is always positive. Anyway, for some reason he is on the dock in the back instead of the front desk. I told him that I missed him up there and he looked at me and said, thank you for the kind words but I am just thankful to be here. Then he told me that the hardest lesson in life he ever learned was to be thankful for what he has and be thankful for what he doesn't have. I just thought that was so deep. When I left he told me to think about that. So I did. I have. And now your post is also reminding me to be thankful. Thank you.

Sue said...

Allie, I am thankful tonight that I had time to visit your blog. Thank you for posting and for giving us such pretty things to look at...and how blessed you are to be able to touch those pennies, too! Love you! :-)

Niki :-) said...

♥ You deserve it! You're a great person, and I'm so glad I met you Allie ♥

Jenny of Elefantz said...

I love penny quilts, and those crow ones are gorgeous!!! Yes, I went close and touched the felt...mmmm..so soft!! Love, love them!

Sweetie, you have blown me away with your fabric and colour choices in my Garden designs - oh Allie, they are WONDERFUL!!!!
I want to remake all mine now! ;-)

You just bless my sock off, missus!!

Lauranie said...

I am thankful everyday for having such a good friend as you! You inspire me, you make me laugh, you lift me up always when I need it! You deserve all good things, and how wonderful I am not the only one who feels this way!! I think the little ladybug is my favorite!! It is going to be SO FABULOUS when you are done!!

Lauranie said...

oopss..of course I meant BEETLES!! The polka dots threw me off!! :)

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

Allie, there are such lovely and thoughtful people in blogland. Your gifts and projects are so beautiful. Enjoy :)

Mama Spark said...

I am thankful for you my friend! I will include you in my prayers too. What a nice gift from your friend Nikki. Your applique is coming along very well. So adorable.

Jennifer Paganelli said...

Allie people love giving to you because of your heart!!!!

Carrie P. said...

OH, the wool surprise is so very nice. Getting surprises in the mail is so fun.
And your blocks are looking really great. So glad you can use the rickrack.

Allie said...

What a beautiful gift! Thank goodness for great friends who seem to know when you need a pick me up.
Your stitcheries look really fun!

Victoria said...

Lovely post. The gift is beautiful. As for your stitching work, I simply adore it! Wonderful vintage feel and beautifully executed!

calicodaisy said...

The wool work is so pretty. I love the pennies. -- michele

Dandelion Quilts said...

I love your stitcheries...what a nice gift, too.

sewtakeahike said...

Wow Allie! You have some really sweet friends! and your stitching is just fabulous! I love what you're doing with the ric rac!

Pam McL said...

Niki did a great job on her stitching! Makes me want to get out a batch of felt, wash it up and make something. Almost.
I love your stitching, too. You always do a wondermous job, Allie. Whatcha been up to lately? Long time no blog.

Eileen said...

LOVED this post.. so full of eye candy. First.. that crow thing with the pennies is absolutely adorable. I can see why you love it.

And your new stitcheries with the fabrics and ric-rac?... is that vintage scraps you're using? or repros? That would really be a great way to use up those tiny vintage snips that you just can't throw away. I can't wait to see the whole thing you are making.

AllyJo said...

Sweet Allie....I love your name more than anything you know...have I told you lately? I got me my own Ally, but Allie is just as nice too.

I posted one picture of Charleston....woohoo. I'll post more when I can. How are things? Have I missed something? I'll pray for you if you need me.

I love your blog. We are kindred spirts. As much as I love to sew and quilt, I'm a hand working girl at heart. I'm happiest when I have something in my hands. In fact, I go crazy when I don't. I have been digging around unpacked boxes like a mad woman searching for something to work on. I finally found some knitting to do today. Not my favorite, but it will keep me from fidgiting. LOL

(((hugs)))

The penny work is on my list of things to do.

Lisa @celebrate CREATIVITY said...

Wow, everything here is so wonderful. Love all the colorful applique.

I've never been very good at applique work but I'm inspired to try harder at it.

Great projects and photos!

Candied Fabrics said...

Pretty Pretty Pretty! I LOVE penny rugs...and that rick rack ROCKS!

susan m hinckley said...

Vintage rick-rack is one of the things that makes life worth living (vintage buttons are a close second!)

Rebekah said...

I love that penny rug. It looks so soft!

Thanks for always having such an uplifting blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...